🦊
OP
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Brienj has turned my little PoC into a workable product! Check it out here and on his GitHub here.

Hey everyone!
As you can tell from the title, this is a NES emulator that runs under 5.5.0/5.5.1.
It's based off LiteNES (github) so it's fairly limited (no sound, basically no compatibility with most games) but it works!
It's been tested with Yie-Ar Kung-Fu and that seems to work okay (albeit slowly.) Super Mario has some weird corruption problems but I guess it's playable if you're really dedicated.
I've posted it on GitHub so you can have a look there for more of my ramblings on what's wrong with this ;3

It's really just a proof-of-concept and needs a heck of a lot of work. But hey, it's userspace!

Everything's on GitHub so just look there for code, binaries, instructions and whatnot.

I can't take good pictures, but I tried my best and you can look at those here.

It really does need a lot of work so if you think you can fix it up please let me know! Thank you!

Last edited by QuarkTheAwesome,

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice work on making this. This shows there's interest in Wii U Homebrew development!
Is it also possible to make an emulator accurate? I think the Wii U power can handle that.

But just take your time with more games, great job!

QuarkTheAwesome

🦊
OP
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Btw why is the screen so small?
Right now, it renders each pixel one at a time. As far as I can tell, this is the main reason why everything is so slow (the OSScreen method for putting a pixel onto the screen is called 61k+ times each frame!) I don't really want to add the extra load of upscaling on top of all that until I can find a better rendering method (GX2 maybe? If anyone knows how that works please let me know)

Reactions: fatsquirrel

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Right now, it renders each pixel one at a time. As far as I can tell, this is the main reason why everything is so slow (the OSScreen method for putting a pixel onto the screen is called 61k+ times each frame!) I don't really want to add the extra load of upscaling on top of all that until I can find a better rendering method (GX2 maybe? If anyone knows how that works please let me know)
Check out the description on @vgmoose 's game, by storing the coreinit pointers and simply passing those around to your various functions, you can get some drastic speedups.
https://github.com/vgmoose/space

Last edited by Kakkoii,
Reactions: VinsCool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.