3G Vita provider lock?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by codezer0, Dec 1, 2012.

Dec 1, 2012

3G Vita provider lock? by codezer0 at 3:16 AM (614 Views / 0 Likes) 3 Comments

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Message Count:
    United States
    Okay, so... I know that at least here in the states, the 'preferred' 3G data provider for the Vita is none other than AT&T. And while I can't exactly say that I have very bright experiences with AT&T, I am curious about the 3G model.

In part, I know it takes a SIM to work, so I have to wonder... what exactly would be stopping me from using a SIM from say, StraightTalk, or SIMple mobile or some similar with the Vita, and getting online that way? I'm wondering how locked down that portion of the Vita is... I know with the first iPhones, it was to the point that you couldn't even use a SIM from another AT&T smartphone on the iPhone, and had to have its own iPhone-specific SIM to work, until that got unlocked.

So, I suppose what I'm asking is... can the 3G+Wifi vita be used with another provider's SIM card?
    • Reporter

Qtis Grey Knight Tech-Priest

Message Count:
    Finland
    Apparently the US and Japan versions of the PSVita are region locked. If you want a 3G version, your options seem to be importing :(

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Message Count:
    United States
    And given how well I know sony, that means I couldn't use any US Vita games, either.

I was just thinking that it was probably just a matter of putting the appropriate sim for a different network and going with that. The 3G model used has been going for some significant price cuts at gamestop (of all the places, right?)... cheaper than even the Wifi-only model. However, I've had enough bad experiences with AT&T to write a book about it, and would not care to give them even one red cent as long as I can help it.
    • Reporter

Qtis Grey Knight Tech-Priest

Message Count:
    Finland
    The games are region free regardless of the console region or sim card. It's just the 3G side that's a bummer. Apparently AT&T could unlock it, but I've yet to hear a successful try for that.

SPONSORED LINKS