Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello.

I want to create a hardware Mod for my old3DSXL v. 9.9.0 26 U that allows you to use a micro USB NES controller. I have knowledge in C++ and am learning ARM assembly. I am just a beginner, so I don't really know where to start or how to work with the old3DSXL's SoC Integrated Circuits. I am not an electrical engineer, but I am willing to learn both the hardware and software aspects of this Mod. I am willing to learn whatever it takes to make this work and I accept the risks. What should I learn about to get started on this hardware Mod? I don't know anything about the PCB or how to get the buttons on the controller to react to the 3DS. I also am not sure how to interface a micro USB port to my 3DS.

Can someone tell me what exactly I would need to know about the 3DSXL (PCB, ARM9 assembly, etc.) To actually have the knowledge and skills to pull of this Mod?

P.S. I am not asking how to do this Mod. I am aware that people cannot tell me step by step what to do. I just need to know what information is needed for this Mod. I am planning on using an original NES controller and connect it to a NES-to-usb adapter, then connect that end to a USB-microUSB adapter, then attach it to the modded port of my 3DSXL.

Last edited by [GBATemp]~IceStorm,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Easiest way at the 3ds end would be to connect directly to the points on the pcb that are switched by the actual controls, so the 3ds still thinks its own controls are being used, rather than trying to build in new hardware and software. The data coming from the nes controller connector is encoded in some way rather than just a pin for each switch like the old atari 9-pin so that side goes beyond my experience. Hopefully someone more helpful will come along.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
you could probably use the controller mod from here
http://www.3dscapture.com/order.html

it doesnt specifically say NES support, but iirc the NES and SNES use the same protocol so it should in theory work fine with it....plus it would also give you PS1/2, N64, wii classic controller and Gamecube controller support, it works pretty well i did one for someone and the gamecube controller works very well for the 3DS....that and you can also setup custom keymapping which would be useful

more info pinouts etc can be found here, even if you decide to do your own thing the pinouts should help you
http://3dscapture.com/controller/

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
TP87=DPAD LEFT
TP97 = DPAD DOWN
TP85 = DPAD UP
TP90 = DPAD RIGHT
TP92 = B
TP89 = A
TP88 = Y
TP86 = X
TP82 = R
TP83 = L
TP80 = START
TP55 = HOME
TP81 = SELECT

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so do I solder the nes wires to this?

I actually wanted to do it by making a micro usb port on my 3DS, how can i do this?

EDIT: Read it too fast and missed the MicroUSB part, but I think below would be an easier suggestion. Similar to Loopy's mod.

I don't think you should wire the buttons DIRECTLY to the pins. I think you should solder the wires to a female header, then mod an NES controller with a male header on the end. So you don't have a controller literally tethered to your system.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
you cant just use a usb adapter, you have 2 options

1. you do some direct input method, this is a more crude method, and you would need to have a minimum of 9 wires....so a USB port wouldn't cut it and thats only for 8 buttons (U,D,L,R,A,B,Start,select)
2. using the controller board, much better option and more versatile to use, and if you really wanted to use a usb port as the controller connector you could just wire up pins 1,2,4,5,6 and retain all functionality of the chip except ps1/2 pad support

just understand the usb port would not be functioning as usb but just as a mini connector that would only work with custom made cables

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
So this project isn't complete yet?
nope, but its fairly simple concept and the controller board is already available which greatly simplifies the process, anyone with basic hardware knowledge should be able to knock one of these up with the aid of the controller board, or even if they wanted to go the ghetto route all the button pinouts are listed above

Reactions: yuyuyup

[GBATemp]~IceStorm

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: Read it too fast and missed the MicroUSB part, but I think below would be an easier suggestion. Similar to Loopy's mod.

I don't think you should wire the buttons DIRECTLY to the pins. I think you should solder the wires to a female header, then mod an NES controller with a male header on the end. So you don't have a controller literally tethered to your system.

Ok I think that this is a much better option.

Last edited by [GBATemp]~IceStorm,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night