Hardware 3DS XL - won't turn on

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I've yet to crack it open but I acquired a broken 3DS today.

The charging light comes on but the power does not work. I tried with and without battery in and it will not turn on at all.

I haven't checked with a new battery (but will later) and I can't check voltage (but again will later) but the weird thing is that if I mess with the power plug and pull it out slowly and wiggle it, the power light DOES come on for a split second and is red - as though the battery is not charged.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem?

Until more tests I can't confirm anything obviously, but does this sound like maybe a fuse is blown so its not supplying the battery with power?

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ill have more info when i get home to test - im at work right now, with only bare minimum tools. but im thinking its the power port that might be the issue.

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
weird new issue - after fooling with the plug for a minute, the orange charging light stays on, though its dimmer than when its plugged in.

strange.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
weird new issue - after fooling with the plug for a minute, the orange charging light stays on, though its dimmer than when its plugged in.

strange.
If I remember correct from reading older posts, it's a busted battery. It's trying to get charge, but it gets so little the led only slightly turns on.

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I remember correct from reading older posts, it's a busted battery. It's trying to get charge, but it gets so little the led only slightly turns on.

That would be great! going to test within the next hour when i get home. the light eventually did go out after a few minutes of being unplugged.

there is some damage to the plastic near the R button - I'm wondering if maybe it was dropped and something else broke. I know nothing about this system just picked it up for cheap today as parts (screens look to be fine and other plastics are in good shape). new top screen would've been about the same cost as what i paid for this thing and i got a charger with it :)

i'll post back if the replacement battery works

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it was the battery! replaced and working fine except for the charging light issue - its on and staying on for some weird reason...

i hope it goes off at some point but has been running for at least 10 minutes now with it still on.

its on 11.2 :)

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
light is still on after charging all night...adding a9lh now. was hoping to trade this sucker to gamestop but with the charge light staying on im not sure they will take it...

VashTS

Beat it, son
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i let the battery drain until the light was off so it was 100% dead. plugged in charger and light stays on whether its plugged in or unplugged.

kinda sucks and nothing online indicates this is a known issue or what could be the cause and possible fix. i'm confident its because i was playing with the charging cable yesterday because i was too impatient to wait for a new battery to test :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol