Hardware 3DS XL Possibly Bricked

_Pro_Man_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello GBATemp,

Yesterday, I was using my 3DS XL with Ninjhax launching Pasta CFW and RxTools and now I think that it is bricked. I had installed some cias that I created from roms several day before this, so I do not think that this is the issue. What happened is that I was using RxTools and was going through the menu and clicked on something that I did not mean to. I think that I was backing something up, I am not sure. I powered of the console, and I think that this where I went wrong. When I press the power button now, the power indicator (blue light) goes on, but the screens do not do anything. They do not even turn on, there is also no light coming off of them. I fear that the 3DS XL may be bricked. I cannot return the 3DS XL to the store that I bought it from, but I am still in warranty. What should I do? Would Nintendo even fix this console if i had non legit cias on it? Would they be able to check this? I have a nand backup, but I really do not want to get a nand mod unless it is absolutely needed. Any advice/tips that anyone has is greatly appreciated!

RepeatingDigits

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hmm... sounds to me like a soft brick. Try holding L+R+A+Dpad up while you turn on the 3DS to see if you can access the recovery menu.
If you can, it's soft bricked, and you could update to 9.8 to at least use it.
If you have a previously made NAND backup you'll just need to hard-mod and restore that NAND.

_Pro_Man_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I will try the recovery menu. But will I have to update to the latest software in order to use it? I really want to keep it on 4.5 or atleast 9.2 below so I can continue to use Ninjhax!

RepeatingDigits

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hmm, I will try the recovery menu. But will I have to update to the latest software in order to use it? I really want to keep it on 4.5 or atleast 9.2 below so I can continue to use Ninjhax!
Well, you really have no options other than that one if it is bricked. Have you tried starting the system without an SD card?

RepeatingDigits

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Just tried without the SD card, and tried the recovery menu, nothing is working :sad:
You're hard-bricked. You'll need to find someone to make a hardmod, I'd recommend that if you decide to go through with it, try to get an USB port installed for easy NAND backup and restore.

NicEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
Any chance that Nintendo would be able to fix this?
Of course they can fix it but you will have to pay some extra cash just because you made some software modifications and Big N doesn't approve of that. Also when the device gets back to you from Big N's hands it will be on the latest FW and probably in a factory defaults state.

What you can do is:
  • Return it back and get a new one because of warranty
  • Let Big N lay their hands on it
  • Hard-mod it and restore your backup
Each one has it's pros and cons so put some thought on it

_Pro_Man_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably going to go with hard mod. I have no experience with soldering, so I will probably have to send it out. Do you think that I would be able to do it by myself? If not, who do you guys recommend, how much would it cost, and how long would it take for me to get my 3ds back?

eXpired

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did this EXACT same thing. In my case, I chose to dump system title tickets (and hard reset before it completed). I was only guessing what it might be doing (I was assuming/hoping it was just creating a dump of titles that I could import on emunand), because I'm an idiot. Same exact symptoms: no screens turn on, can't get into recovery, nothing.

I also have a gateway NAND dump and PM'd hundshamer. I hope it can be reflashed. Shoot.

Live and learn.

_Pro_Man_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did this EXACT same thing. In my case, I chose to dump system title tickets (and hard reset before it completed). I was only guessing what it might be doing (I was assuming/hoping it was just creating a dump of titles that I could import on emunand), because I'm an idiot. Same exact symptoms: no screens turn on, can't get into recovery, nothing.

I also have a gateway NAND dump and PM'd hundshamer. I hope it can be reflashed. Shoot.

Live and learn.
Yeah, it sounds like we are in the same boat. Well, I really want to be able to use RxTools now, because it has signature patches out. That means that we can use unlegit cias (ones normally only able to be use in a CFW) in RxTools. This is great, as I no longer have to create cias with firmware spoofing! I actually think that I was doing the same thing that caused the brick, dumping title tickets, and I did a hard reset. Good luck getting your 3DS fixed, let me know if you do get it to work. I am sending mine in this weekend to hundshamer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: