Hardware 3DS XL not charging, fuses are okay, what to check ?

layyen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,
I would like to ask for help, I have 3DS XL from ebay, if I connect original nintendo charger which is working fine with another 3DS, charge light orange or red(depends on battery state) start to light, but battery is not charging, even after a lot of hours on charger. I have checked fuses F1 and F2, both are okay, is there abything what to check ? another battery is the same, no battery problem ..
running from charger is ok, running from cradle is the same, only not charging,

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So

• Connecting charger -> Charge led lights up
  • Despite charging led, battery doesn't charge
  • Tried with another battery, same outcome.
  • Fuses ok
  • Powers on ok with charger
Correct?

Shouldn't be relevant, but does the battery in the broken 3ds charge inside a working one?

-EDIT-
Do you have a multimeter?
Test the pins on the main board where the battery connects to see if there's any voltage when charger is connected.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cradle is just a simple extension to the charger, it won't do any difference.
The cradle uses different contact points than directly connecting the charger, so while it doesn't make a difference here, there are potentially situations where it could if the main charging port was physically busted.

Reactions: Ozito

layyen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
- I have tried craddle - its the same
- I am successfuly charging XL battery in my not XL 3DS - I have modded a bit the plastic part on XL battery ( remove approx 1-2mm plastic on the corner ) and battery is okay, charged in some hours, and I can play from this battery for about 6-8 hours. If I put normal battery to XL with some papers to make it contact, |I can play from it too but still no charge
- There is no voltage comming to battettery from charger , only to 3DS

-I have ordere universal liion charger from ebay, its no best solution but its okay, lookslike any charging IO or another electronic part is broken.
-Its not so easy to get 4.5 XL in our country, I have decided to take this one, even its not charging normally with charger.

layyen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
never hear about kiosk version, but maybe, its that,
on another devices I never seen this type of modification for kiosks. With ext charger its okay, i would like to play some 3DS games with gateway, its enought for this purpose..

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
What Pong20302000 said seems to be correct.

Found this in another forum.
Hello all,
I thought this would be the best place to ask this question...

My office's break area once had one of those shop display stands with 2 3DSs attached to it.
As nobody touched them for a year or so, they decided to sell them off for charity so I bought one.

Here is the issue:
When plugged into the mains, the console will turn on and work fine.
The battery indicator will display the batteries status, and charge properly.
But as soon as you unplug the unit, it turns off....

I assumed it was the battery, as it spent a year plugged in, so I bought a new battery. It took about 4 hours to charge, but didn't help.

The other unit from the display stand has the same issue.

Looking around on the net I found a very small amount of info, saying that this was done on purpose.
I asked Nintendo support, but they have no idea....

Can anyone tell me:
1. Is this done by a change of hardware, or a software setting?
2. HOW DO I FIX IT??????

This has been driving me crazy for a week! Any help would be appreciated!

And this thread here at gbatemp

Does it boot up normally to the menu when you power it on?

layyen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
on charger it works fine, with externaly charged battery works fine too, only not charging - no voltage to the battery, but now i am modding it a bit, i dont want to take battery everytime out and again after charge in

but this looks like as i couldnt have demo ..

That sounds quite plausible. I doubt they can update the firmware, though – the demo units I've seen are locked to a single game and you cannot access the settings or the main menu (unless there's some kind of trick to it). Even then, It's likely a firmware update would refuse to download to a demo machine.

EDIT: Its ready :) I have soldered directly wires from power connector to +/- on battery, and universal liion charger which I soldered to 3DS usb charger, and its working fine.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
on charger it works fine, with externaly charged battery works fine too, only not charging - no voltage to the battery, but now i am modding it a bit, i dont want to take battery everytime out and again after charge in

That sounds quite plausible. I doubt they can update the firmware, though – the demo units I've seen are locked to a single game and you cannot access the settings or the main menu (unless there's some kind of trick to it). Even then, It's likely a firmware update would refuse to download to a demo machine.

Kiosk Units work exactly the same as a Retail Unit except they dont work unless plugged into mains
Demo Carts do all the locking out and stuff but they normally dont come cheap on ebay

corim123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

EDIT: Its ready :) I have soldered directly wires from power connector to +/- on battery, and universal liion charger which I soldered to 3DS usb charger, and its working fine.
Excellent work. Out of curiosity, would you mind posting some photos? Always love hacks like this.

mental

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am having a similar problem.
My 3ds XL is not a kiosk version though. It works fine if I charge the battery in a different system and then put the charged battery in the system.
It simply does not charge the battery when plugged in

LegendaryOutcast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I purchased my 3ds xl from best buy almost 2 years ago, yesterday I didn't got this issue. Led comes on but does not charge the battery

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pump the chocolate into my veins