Hardware 3DS XL, 2 months.. already has a scratch on the screen. :/

Xirix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought a 3DS XL in september for my birthday which has recently passed at the end of October, got it from Argos.. it was one of I believe four that had serial numbers for a pretty much guaranteed 4.5 firmware, and it was.

I was playing a game on it the other day and I saw what I thought at the time was a stuck pixel, but then I realised it was there even when the thing was off... I don't think it was there when I bought it, so I did some research... as I take care of my things, and it would seem the old 3DS had a lot of problems with the raised area around the touchscreen scratching the top screen, and that although reduced, some people still had this happen with 3DS XL. The position of the small scratch on my screen lines up with the raised area of the touchscreen :/

It's a kinda small scratch and most of the time I can't see it, it's making my OCD flare up like mad though and it's pissing me off. I don't suppose I can do anything about it? It's only 2 months since I purchased it, Argos apparently have a 1 year guarantee, whatever that entails.

Even if there's nothing I can do about this I definitely needed to bitch about it, that's quite a design flaw if that's indeed how my screen got scratched :/

hvsep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dunno if you'd get the warranty coverage since they'd assume the scratch is your fault. Assuming it's the plastic cover that's scratched, you can get a replacement for $4 from here and replace it yourself though.

Xirix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't realise there was a plastic cover infront of the screen... I don't know though, if I touch where the scratch is I can't feel it, it's small though so maybe I wouldn't be able to feel it.

rakichaneru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can always buy a replacement screen cover and replace it yourself if it bothers you that much.

I had one of those original run 3DS' that got a scratched screen from the bottom half. I usually just put a paper towel inbetween them when I shut it and that solved the problem until I bought a 3DS XL.

Xirix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been putting my microfibre cleaning cloth inbetween when closing it now, are there any tutorials about replacing the plastic screen? I see plenty of places selling them but no info on how to remove the old one and affix the new one?

I emailed Nintendo on the offchance, just said the screen came with a scratch out of the box for convenience (and also because it might be true... it's so small I may have missed it in my initial check), assuming they'd fix it, would Nintendo touch my software? I wouldn't want to send it in for a screen fix only for it to come back with the latest firmware for no reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)