Hardware 3ds Wifi interrupting Streams

Sirence

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have a ridiculous problem:
Whenever I turn on Wifi on any of my two old 3ds xl (just turning the switch, not even actively using it for anything), the Streams from my Amazon Prime TV Stick drop down to super awful quality. It goes like this:
I turn the wifi on, I get no more HD for the Stream. I turn it back off, HD instantly on again. I can repeat this without fail indefinitely.
I have a 100 MBit cable connection with unlimited data, so that can't be the problem. No other Wifi device (laptops, smartphones, tablets) has the same effect on the Stream.

I use a TP Link Router, the 13th Channel (all other are crowded around here), 2,4 Ghz with the 5 Ghz turned off. Wth can be causing this? How and why? Anyone else having the same problem? :D

Randomdude0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Well, the 3ds wifi is kinda bad as it uses 802.11b/g standards (the wifi speed will go up to 54Mbps only which splits on upstream and downstream) and most smartphones laptops and tablets use 802.11b/g/n (up to ~100Mbps). When you attempt to connect the 3ds to the network; all the devices, router included, will set their standards to b/g temporarily.

Reactions: Sirence

Sirence

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, the 3ds wifi is kinda bad as it uses 802.11b/g standards (the wifi speed will go up to 54Mbps only which splits on upstream and downstream) and most smartphones laptops and tablets use 802.11b/g/n (up to ~100Mbps). When you attempt to connect the 3ds to the network; all the devices, router included, will set their standards to b/g temporarily.

Wow, thanks for the reply!
That is... horrible news. Is there anything I could set in the router to make sure it doesn't change the standard?
Or is the only way to only turn on wifi on the 3ds if I really need it, and live with the fact that I can't play online and watch tv at the same time? :/

Edit: If I would switch on the 5Ghz on my router and let the stream use that instead, and the 3ds the 2,4 Ghz, would that help?

Last edited by Sirence,

Randomdude0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Wow, thanks for the reply!
That is... horrible news. Is there anything I could set in the router to make sure it doesn't change the standard?
Or is the only way to only turn on wifi on the 3ds if I really need it, and live with the fact that I can't play online and watch tv at the same time? :/

If your router can't set up two different wlan networks, then, the only way is turning on the 3ds wifi when you need it. The standard changes because all the devices need to communicate between them, so its a compatibility issue.

Sirence

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If your router can't set up two different wlan networks, then, the only way is turning on the 3ds wifi when you need it. The standard changes because all the devices need to communicate between them, so its a compatibility issue.
Okay, I'll split up my network into two seperate networks and see if that helps. Thank you very much for your help!

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i thought a device would only communicate with the AP ?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
They usually need to communicate between them to identify which device is which (generate local ip tables) and which ones connect/disconnect from the network.
i thought the AP was also in charge of that, since you have to (usually it's already configured on the router) setup the dhcp server on the router...

Reactions: Randomdude0

Randomdude0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
i thought the AP was also in charge of that, since you have to (usually it's already configured on the router) setup the dhcp server on the router...

Yup, but if a device wants to send something to another one in the network it'll need to know the destination identifiers.

This is also needed when a package is recieved, every device will know a package is in the media but if the package doesn't have it's identifier the device will just ignore it. AP will send those packages to the media (which every device listen) as the router doesn't fully know where is the destination device (or if it still connected). This is why the standard has to be the same on each device.

The AP assign the ips, but the devices need to know which one is every one and which ones are connected. Each device make their own tables with the ips they recieve from the router signal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte