Hacking 3DS Virus. Possible?

Does this sound possible?

• It may be possible.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No, that's impossible.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Possible, but Nintendo will prevent it.

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

stylow

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
deferom said:
It's totally possible.

Will it happen? Probably not. But if enough people buy one (a lot of people) it may be a big enough target.
Imagine a virus in 3D
rofl.gif

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nutella said:
ollepoll said:
in my opinion a Virus is something that is spread (can also be done by the producers of the Virus and in this case it is just that they spread it via wifi) that brakes the hardware, which is done in all cases
What a virus is and what a virus isn't is not up to opinion.

I suppose virus in this case is malicious code, but could there be such a code created for a handheld that could spread from one to another?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Look at it this way, if someone finds a way to make a virus (and some people don't seem to know the difference between a virus and a trjan) then they've basically hacked the 3DS by making it run unsigned code. And they've done it without even touching the unit itself.

notmeanymore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
darkreaperofdreams said:
the answer is with the wii anyways

Ohsh- there's an idea. Using a game with 3DS-to-Wii connectivity (maybe even DS to Wii like WarioWare DIY), a false file could be sent from the Wii and the 3DS would trust it. Siiiiiick. CFW here we come.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Stevetry said:
how do you want to a answer if the freaking thing is not out ?
Finally someone who said it.

We currently know enough about the Wii to speculate something like that... But the 3DS? Heck, let the freaking thing be out first and have homebrew running on it, and THEN you speculate something like this
tongue.gif

As I said in another thread similiar to this one, we don't even know if it will ever be hacked.
As all of you can see, every new generation makes hacking a LOT more difficult. Look at the PS3, it took years before a decent exploit came out. And look at the 360, yeah, there was the JTAG hack and the King Kong exploit before it, but there are currently NO ways to run homebrew on new 360s since they fixed the JTAG hole
wink.gif

notmeanymore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
We currently know enough about the Wii to speculate something like that... But the 3DS? Heck, let the freaking thing be out first and have homebrew running on it, and THEN you speculate something like this
tongue.gif
I was mainly speculating on how the 3DS would GET homebrew. A specially modified file sent from Wii to 3DS could cause a buffer overflow just like the Twilight Hack and give us our homebrew. Wii to 3DS would be more likely since game saves will probably still be stored on the cartridges not the 3DS itself, leaving us no other speculatable(?) way of loading code.

That's not the point of this thread, though.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DigitalDeviant said:
nutella said:
ollepoll said:
in my opinion a Virus is something that is spread (can also be done by the producers of the Virus and in this case it is just that they spread it via wifi) that brakes the hardware, which is done in all cases
What a virus is and what a virus isn't is not up to opinion.

I suppose virus in this case is malicious code, but could there be such a code created for a handheld that could spread from one to another?
A virus is malware, yes, but malware is not necessarily a virus. Viruses, spyware, trojans, etc., they all come under the general term malware (malicious software). In this case, a virus is self-replicating and can spread itself on its own. It also doesn't necessarily break hardware.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Virus's are mainly made to get personal info, 3DS doesn't hold that stuff, but Computers DO.
So i doubt people would bother trying really hard to create a virus on the 3DS unless they have mental problems and like to destroy peoples 3DS's for fun...

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FireGrey said:
Virus's are mainly made to get personal info, 3DS doesn't hold that stuff, but Computers DO.
So i doubt people would bother trying really hard to create a virus on the 3DS unless they have mental problems and like to destroy peoples 3DS's for fun...
Again, this is incorrect. Malware that is used to steal a person's personal information is called spyware.

notmeanymore

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
There would be about less virus's then the DS.
The DS has VERY FEW virus's

Umm no. The DS doesn't have the self-replicating part needed for the term virus. The 3DS might, but probably won't. It's probably only possible if System Updates can be done Peer-To-Peer. I suppose it could be spread via Street Pass, but even less likely.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
Look at it this way, if someone finds a way to make a virus (and some people don't seem to know the difference between a virus and a trjan) then they've basically hacked the 3DS by making it run unsigned code. And they've done it without even touching the unit itself.
For anyone else reading this thread, read this quote, then think again about the plausibility of a 3DS virus.

ecko

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
nutella said:
BlueStar said:
For anyone else reading this thread, read this quote, then think again about the plausibility of a 3DS virus.
that quote merely states that one can't code a virus(now), for a system which isn't even out yet.
then again, this whole thread doesnt make sense, since none has the 3ds right now
smile.gif

and to answer:
if system updates can be passed between two 3ds, then there is still the problem that the one sending must be able to run unsigned code and that there must be some kind of exploit to make the other ds run unsigned code(the 'virus')
not likely going to happen.
ofcourse there will always be the numbnut that finds it funny to brick someone's 3ds by making a program which does that, but it wont be able to spread as a real virus.

meh, only time will tell what will and won't happen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)