molh394

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Note: If you are new to this please read the 3DS 'Hacking' FAQ first.

3DS Updates and Flashcarts - A FAQ

Q: Should I update my 3DS?
A: Never, EVER update your device (3DS or DSi) unless you have ensured that your flashcarts work on the update. This is because new updates tend to block flashcarts. In fact if your children tend to accidentally update their devices you should enable parental controls to block updating.

Once you have made sure of that, though, then yes you should.

Q: How do I "ensure" this, though?
A: Please refer to the list below.
Usually you will have to update your flashcart itself too, unless it has been confirmed to work without updates.

Q: How do I update my flashcart then?
A: First you need a device (DS phat/lite, DSi or even a non-updated 3DS) that can run your flashcart. In other words if your 3DS or DSi is already blocking your flashcart you will have to find another device.

Get the updates from your manufacturer's website, or from the list below. Be sure to download the correct update for your cart. Extract the files from the downloaded zip archive, place them in the ROOT of your microSD (not in any folder), then read the instructions inside. Usually they are in a "readme" file. Put your microSD back into the cart, put the cart back into your working device, and follow those instructions to update.

Q: I have already updated my 3DS before updating my flashcart! What should I do now?
A: Get a DS phat or lite, as these will never block flashcarts which can run on the 3DS. If you can't find one get a spare DSi or 3DS which is not as updated (i.e. is not already blocking your cart). Run your flashcart update on these instead.

(Alternatively if you have a Supercard DSTWO you can try this solution, BUT ONLY IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO UPDATE USING THE METHOD ABOVE.)

Q: I don't have any of those!
A: Borrow one from a friend, or from a friendly shop nearby. Otherwise you'll have to try borrowing them from a stranger on the streets who happens to have a DS. If you explain your situation they will probably sympathise, especially if they are also running flashcarts. Flashcart updates take only minutes, and will not affect the DS/i or 3DS itself, so they should have nothing to worry about.

Q: I can't find any of those either. Where can I find a pre-updated cart?
A: Some reputable online sellers are already advertising flashcarts pre-updated for 3ds v2 on their websites. You can buy one from them. As for the other sellers you can contact them directly to check if their carts are pre-updated, and to specially request for one if they aren't.

----------------------------------------------------

Updated List of Flashcarts Working on the 3DS

Please refer to the updated topic here: http://gbatemp.net/t...ilation-thread/

List of People to Credit: This is your pinned topic as much as mine. Here are the people who have contributed directly to this FAQ/List:
-haddad and Schlupi for the original lists, most of the original info came from there

-raulpicka for pinning this, thanks man!

-SoulSnatcher for his helpful FAQ on 3DS 'Hacking', linked right at the top of this post.

-RoMee for alternate way of updating Supercard DSTWO

-Evol.ve's Mega List of R4 Clones

-shadowmanwkp for his suggestion of enabling parental controls, preventing children from accidentally updating and blocking their own carts

-blaydes99 for update on EZVi 3DS v2 update

-georgelathouwers for R4i Gold V2.0 from r4ids.com

-sp3ctr3 for confirming that GEi works on 3DS v2.0 with update, and for PMing me with the info

-CrispyYoshi for breaking news on 3DS v2.10-4, Snailface for pointing out that it does not block any 3DS flashcarts either.
sp3ctr3 and t0mixcs for additional confirmations within this thread.

-BloodAngel for PMing me about the 3DS v3.0.05 and v3.0.06 updates.

-pong for creating and maintaining the new updated list of working flashcarts.

Thanks for all your help! Couldn't have done it without your contributions.

---------------------------------------------------

I am not very active on the Temp anymore, however if there are any new updates or changes I should make please do not hesitate to PM me, and I will get to it as soon as I can. I will also be immensely grateful (since that's what's keeping this thing going, and will credit you by name in the list below and in my posts in this thread.

No guarantees on keeping this thing updated, though, the fact that the 2 previous topics on this eventually became outdated speaks of the difficulty of doing so.

Reactions: 1 person

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Stickied the thread, and name changed
wink.gif

Keep up with the good work, hopefully this thread will prevent people from opening threads again and again just to ask the same questions over and over
wink.gif

Reactions: 1 person

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
on this question:
QUOTE said:
I have already updated my 3DS before updating my flashcart! What should I do now?
for the DSTWO, it can still be updated with a 3DS on v2.00 firmware.
just rename the dstwoupdate.dat to dstwoupdateb.dat
put it into your 3DS, you'll still get the error screen but wait 3 minutes (yes it has to be 3 minutes) than turn off your ds and delete the dstwoupdateb.dat. (yes, you have to delete it)

step by step instruction here:
http://forum.supercard.sc/thread-8832-1-1.html

molh394

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
RoMee said:
on this question:
QUOTE said:
I have already updated my 3DS before updating my flashcart! What should I do now?
for the DSTWO, it can still be updated with a 3DS on v2.00 firmware.

step by step instruction here:
http://forum.supercard.sc/thread-8832-1-1.html
Oh yeah. Thanks for the feedback! This piece of information has been added to the FAQ.
happy.gif

Added:

-Link to 3DS 'Hacking' FAQ, because that should probably be read by newbies first; and the 3ds v2 update for 3DSTT, just to keep it complete. Thanks to SoulSnatcher and dangerboy for those!

-R4i Gold from R4i-gold.eu. Thanks to 168160 for confirming that it works.

Daniel Carville

Fantastic.
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dcvidya.com
XP
Country
You'd think EZ-TEAM would update their card, but obviously not.
There wouldn't happen to be a fix that I can't find, is there? I've looked here, the EZ-Flash forums (which are somewhat dead) and their site (never much help for updates, no disrespect to them, the forum usually takes care of that).

molh394

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Thanks!

Daniel: Haven't heard anything yet, but I will look around and update the first post if I find anything reliable.
smile.gif

Edit: It hasn't been released yet.

Faize00: Oops, looks like I missed out your post! The best cost-effective flashcart is an Acekard 2i. It costs less than US$15 from many reliable online sellers, like zhuzhuchina. Supercard DSTWO is mainly for people who don't mind paying more (it's about US$35) for extra features.

I don't think you really need any other recommendations, as either of these flashcarts should settle all your needs.

molh394

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Updated: Added stuff from Mega List of R4 Clones (thanks Evol.ve!)

Added the "Claims to be working on 3DS v2.00/v2.10 Update" section. Can someone confirm whether the updates for those carts really work on the 3DS v2 please? Have not seen anything on the Temp about the updates for those carts yet. Thanks!

Added the suggestion to enable parental controls that block updates, because there are so many cases of children accidentally updating their DSis or 3DS-es and blocking their own flashcarts. Thanks to shadowmanwkp for the idea!

D

Deleted_171835

I used the list from here in the FAQ. It isn't out of date, anymore.

Great FAQ!

blaydes99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
EZVi team finally released an update (for the Vi only). Tested it last night and it works great on the latest update.

molh394

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Use the DSL, if you can get hold of one. It has the advantage of not being able to block your flashcart, so you definitely can update on it.

@Soulsnatcher and blaydes99: Thanks! First post updated with new info.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well just ordered my 3ds so i didn't really read that much 3ds stuff yet so ...

cards not listed in your list in the first post are all confirmed not working ?
btw i have only a dsl and a acecard2 (no 2i) which is not listed so no chance to use it on the 3ds ?

molh394

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Only carts which work on the DSi can work on the 3DS, so yes there's no chance for the Acekard 2 or 2.1 to work on the 3DS unfortunately.

My list is as exhausive as I can make it, but I will never guarantee it to be 100% accurate. As mentioned on that first post if there is anything I missed out, or is untrue or outdated, please post in here and I will update it as soon as I see it. On the whole, though, it should be reliable enough to use.

Edit: Added the R4i-SDHC card. I could've sworn it was there already, but oh well.
unsure.gif

Added R4i Gold V2.0 from r4ids.com, thanks to georgelathouwers for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended