Homebrew 3DS: ssspwn exploit works on firmware 8.x, Smealum hopes for a release “soon”

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Would it almost be quicker/easier to Photoshop every frame, rather than actually hack the 3DS? Not a Smealum doubter, but just asking.
it would be very hard to manually edit a video to make it look completely legit, people pick over these "we hacked *insert item here* video's", the people who are sad enough to try make a fake video are generally kids with nothing better to do, and most of the time think just loading a picture edited in paint will convince people, or switching the channel on a tv from a xbox one to a pc with a n64 emulator running with a bad skip or convenient "ooooh my camera just wobbled off screen for a minute" plus people can play the yeti3d homebrew demo smealum made....so i don't see how he would photoshop everybodies 3ds in real time as your playing it lol

Reactions: #3dBRAT
D

Deleted User

SMEA IS LOVE SMEA IS LIFE XD XD XD XD :rofl:
Just commenting is adding fuel to this unbeliever fire........................
atleast he hasnt given up and is persevering with the 3ds scene

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
two things...Smealum is pretty open with a social network account. I hope Nintendo doesn't locate him or send him a gag for releasing the exploit. Kinda like SkybladeCloud being found by SquareEnix

also...maybe Gateway will magically find 8.0 and below compatibility after this exploit is released.

Reactions: satan89 and st4rk

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait. What's been released with them? Nothing. Who has access to these "exploits" that magically never get discussed because he thinks he's so clever and grand that even Nintendo doesn't know about his "exploits" and has to keep it "secret"? No one. He's a deluded fool to think Nintendo has no idea about the exploits he finds. If he found it, they did a long time before.

Those exploits have been so helpful and noteworthy to the community! In fact, uh... uh...
Reverse-engineering what? What has he made that we can actually verify? 90% of his loltwitter is gloating and likely photoshopped/terribly vague pictures.

Homebrew went to hell after idiots like geohot/eg0verflow and others invaded. Then it just became "piracy pls" and an ego-stroking contest.

I don't seem to recall seeing you contributing anything noteworthy to this thread or to the 3DS homebrew scene, what was it you were you trying to convey exactly? Maybe I missed it, but do I detect the distinct smell of embitterment and refusal to except the fact that there are more than just the Gateway team working on hacking the 3DS?

two things...Smealum is pretty open with a social network account. I hope Nintendo doesn't locate him or send him a gag for releasing the exploit. Kinda like SkybladeCloud being found by SquareEnix

also...maybe Gateway will magically find 8.0 and below compatibility after this exploit is released.

Wouldn't hold your breath, I'm pretty sure Gateway wants a hold on 4.x 3DS consoles so that people are forced to buy them. Why would they want to make 3DS units with newer firmware usable with the Gateway? Then again, I very well could be wrong and maybe they are finding new exploits for newer firmware, I can't make that call.

this thread is amazing on so many levels

:)

I know, right? And to think that we don't have enough excitement on here anymore. This is the best thread ever.

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can some of you say smea won't release it?? If you would bother to actually go out and find his article on his website, or read his posts on Twitter you would know he has every intention of releasing it. Now stop trash talking him. Without him the homebrew scene would be dead.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can some of you say smea won't release it?? If you would bother to actually go out and find his article on his website, or read his posts on Twitter you would know he has every intention of releasing it. Now stop trash talking him. Without him the homebrew scene would be dead.

Well, for starters, this is GBA Temp, or as I secretly call, Gateway Temp. That alone is a potential reason.

Crasez58

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sticker,375x360.png
seriously though smea@smealum
@magicskid still a lot of work. i'd say at least two weeks at this rate.

10:15 PM - 22 Jul 2014

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway temp? LOL
Have you ever seen Maxconsole bro??? XD

Good point XD, that place is a cesspool of uh, well I'll leave that for another thread. There are worse places than here when it comes to that, yes. This thread however is an interesting one for sure. What will happen in the 3DS scene is only a matter of time now. Slowly but surely, it's picking up.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Though most people don't care about old games, playing them without dumping your own ROMs is considered piracy too. There is an NES emulator that will work with this exploit (made by smealum's tools). It will play illegal ROM's, but his exploit will not allow any piracy at all...

That is not to say I am against piracy. I just think people should remove the wool from their eyes.

Reactions: TemplarGR and Hozu

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Though most people don't care about old games, playing them without dumping your own ROMs is considered piracy too. There is an NES emulator that will work with this exploit (made by smealum's tools). It will play illegal ROM's, but his exploit will not allow any piracy at all...

That is not to say I am against piracy. I just think people should remove the wool from their eyes.

I don't think most people on here care about that to be perfectly blunt. Most people never get ROMs legitimately anyways. People don't remove the wool because they simply don't give a tin schilling, really. Other programs can easily be used in the same manner, such as Dios Mios, which have no AP, and therefore are just as viable. Emulators in and of themselves are not illegal. Both new and old games are still piracy, people just care less about older games.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
should dvd players be banned because they can "potentially" be used for bad....i think people should embrace the sliding scale of piracy, its not just black and white

smealum seems to be happy that his work isnt being used to pirate nintnedo's main income source.....how many people are actually buying the nes VC games, there is only a handful in the first place and they are a fraction of the cost of the 3ds games, i'm sure nintendo will breath a sigh of relief if no 3ds rom loaders emerge from this

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think most people on here care about that to be perfectly blunt. Most people never get ROMs legitimately anyways. People don't remove the wool because they simply don't give a tin schilling, really. Other programs can easily be used in the same manner, such as Dios Mios, which have no AP, and therefore are just as viable. Emulators in and of themselves are not illegal. Both new and old games are still piracy, people just care less about older games.

That is my first sentence. I also did not say emulators are illegal. I'm just saying most people do not legitimately obtain their ROM's and that smealum's exploit allows piracy because of the emulators using these ROMs. If he truly was dead set against piracy he wouldn't even allow those.

For most people pirating NES roms is a totally different thing than pirating a Wii or 3ds game. Fact is, they are both piracy, but no one seems to care about pirating old nes games, not even smea.

Pretty much what I was trying to say. I just think it's all piracy.

should dvd players be banned because they can "potentially" be used for bad....i think people should embrace the sliding scale of piracy, its not just black and white

smealum seems to be happy that his work isnt being used to pirate nintnedo's main income source.....how many people are actually buying the nes VC games, there is only a handful in the first place and they are a fraction of the cost of the 3ds games, i'm sure nintendo will breath a sigh of relief if no 3ds rom loaders emerge from this
Maybe not the DVD player, but the burners are another story. However DVD's are even outdated and most things are digital/Blu-Ray now. Though VC isn't their main source, it is a decent chunk for them. I've seen a few VC games sell more than 5000, and at $5 apiece that's over $25,000. That is just one game! I could buy a house with that one game.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah but again its not smealum playing god with what he will and wont allow, any limits are just limits of the exploit....not imposed lockouts....if he starts trying to control homebrew developments....i don't think he would succeed (unless he just says f*** you guys you can hack it yourself)....i havent seen anyone else coming up with any positive progress so far, but he is just relying on the fact the hack doesn't have kernel access which he hopes will mean it will not lead to 3ds rom piracy

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A house eh? I think you mean a second hand, beat-up RV.
NO. I mean a house. Granted it wouldn't be no mansion, but in my area the housing market is pretty messed up. I've seen a 3 bedroom house go for $15000. Of course it would need a little love, but that's where the other $10000 would come in. It won't be brand new, but it would be livable.
yeah but again its not smealum playing god with what he will and wont allow, any limits are just limits of the exploit....not imposed lockouts....if he starts trying to control homebrew developments....i don't think he would succeed, he is just relying on the fact the hack doesn't have kernel access which he hopes will mean it will not lead to 3ds rom piracy
True, but he made it sound that he is only releasing it because of this fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's been an entire meme for like the past 10 years lol...