OP
Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey guys,
What's up? Long time I don't post a new thread!

So... I'm noticing that some of the consoles I mod are suffering from screen flickering for some seconds at the screen corners right after we turn the console on and we get to the Home Menu. Sometimes its just the top screen, other both screens and the flicker lasts between 5 to 10 seconds.
After it stops flickering it doesn't flicker anymore.

I'm using the hardmod method and yes :) I'm used to solder and I've been doing hardmod since its early stages (mid 2013).

Did anyone notice this before?

Some other info:
1) I only remember seeing this in New 3DS XL
2) I use a solder station and my solder is between 280C and 300C (at most)
3) I use flux
4) I always clean the solder points after removing the wires.

Thanks!

mvmiranda

OP
Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
It may be the ribbon cables. Maybe they were left loose or damaged from the procedure.
Hey!
Well, I'm positive they are not. I double and triple checked everything.
Cleared the whole board, some times, tightened the connectors others, checked under the magnifying glass the areas near I soldered but none of the times I found what would cause this.
I'm very experienced with games, soldering and stuff and, though it could be something I screwed up while soldering, I strongly believe it's not.
Still I didn't find what it could be.

It worth mentioning that the consoles are working flawlessly ever since with only that flickering annoyance!

Thanks!

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I once scratched the ribbon cable from the ir-sensor and top screen while reassembling my new 3ds and my screen flickered as well.
I partially could fix it by disabling the 3d head tracking and auto-brightness but it still flickered a little.
Even though I didn't change anything software wise my 3ds then stopped working after a day or so, a real shame it was such a nice device with 9.0 firmware at launch and all...

Reactions: mvmiranda

mvmiranda

OP
Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
I once scratched the ribbon cable from the ir-sensor and top screen while reassembling my new 3ds and my screen flickered as well.
I partially could fix it by disabling the 3d head tracking and auto-brightness but it still flickered a little.
Even though I didn't change anything software wise my 3ds then stopped working after a day or so, a real shame it was such a nice device with 9.0 firmware at launch and all...
Hmmmm!
I think I got what you're talking about, although I don't think we're talking about the same "flickering".
Yours is/was like if the head track was broken, right? And the screen would be "dancing" left and right like the N3DS was not being able to "fix on your face", right?

Well, mine is like old CTR TVs and Monitors when the are "warming up", do you know what I mean?! The corners flickers fast and, when flickering, the color near it stays a little "washed". Almost like "waves", forming.
After some seconds the "intensity" of the flicker weaken until it stops, never happening again until you power the console off and on.
Screen turn off due to the console entering sleep mode does not trigger the "effect".

Got it?

Very weird, huh?

Last edited by mvmiranda,

BetterDuck

I am truly remarded
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a pretty unique screen issue as well, but I haven't been able to figure it out. I suggest trying the IRC or Discord server. You might get some help there since there's almost always knowledgeable people active.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Never seen this issue on any system I have hard modded but I remember this happened once on my own system that has never been hard modded, I was thinking the top screen backlight was failing but after removing the battery for 10 minutes it hasn't happened since

Reactions: mvmiranda

mvmiranda

OP
Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Never seen this issue on any system I have hard modded but I remember this happened once on my own system that has never been hard modded, I was thinking the top screen backlight was failing but after removing the battery for 10 minutes it hasn't happened since
Very weird, mate!
Well, I'll try this out!
Thx for all your help, guys!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality