Hardware 3ds Screen crack help

TribstyAnn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went on a beach trip yesterday and took my 3ds with me for the car ride. I left it in the vehicle in a safe place while we went to the beach. It did not get hot in the vehicle, and I didn't get any sand in the console. After I got home I played my 3ds some and it was perfectly fine. I flipped the lid. A while Later I went to bed and opened up my 3ds lid to find a big line running from top to bottom of the top screen with a bunch of dead black pixels around it. I used it some, and it still ran perfectly well, then powered it off, plugged it into the charger and then went to sleep.

This morning when I woke up and turned it on the dead pixels around the line were mostly gone except for some around the bottom of the screen, making it much nicer to look at. The big line was still there but hard to see. It's a lot easier to see on a black background. I powered it off and took it the back cover off and everything out of it and carefully cleaned it. I didn't find any sand anywhere inside or outside. I put everything back together with no difference to the line and dead pixels.

My guess is that the line is a crack in the screen, but I have no idea how it would have happened. I have not dropped it or hit it recently, but I have dropped my 3ds in the past and it was fine. I also have a screen protector on and am unable to feel any sort of crack or bump.

I would like to know if I can get this repaired for cheap, or at least get rid of the dead pixels. The crack itself is not too noticeable, so as long as I get rid of the dead pixels around it I will be happy.

My 3ds is running Luma 8.1, Boot9Strap, and System Version 11.5.0-38U
I have not installed any new apps or homebrew apps recently.

Here are some pictures I took of it. My camera is terrible, but hopefully you can kinda see what it is. The dead pixels at the bottom of the crack are just to the left of the glare. I tried to get a pic on a blakc background where the entire crack was visible, but it couldn't show up on the camera.
DSCF5377.JPG
DSCF5378.JPG

Let me know if there is any other information I can provide.

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I went on a beach trip yesterday and took my 3ds with me for the car ride. I left it in the vehicle in a safe place while we went to the beach. It did not get hot in the vehicle, and I didn't get any sand in the console. After I got home I played my 3ds some and it was perfectly fine. I flipped the lid. A while Later I went to bed and opened up my 3ds lid to find a big line running from top to bottom of the top screen with a bunch of dead black pixels around it. I used it some, and it still ran perfectly well, then powered it off, plugged it into the charger and then went to sleep.

This morning when I woke up and turned it on the dead pixels around the line were mostly gone except for some around the bottom of the screen, making it much nicer to look at. The big line was still there but hard to see. It's a lot easier to see on a black background. I powered it off and took it the back cover off and everything out of it and carefully cleaned it. I didn't find any sand anywhere inside or outside. I put everything back together with no difference to the line and dead pixels.

My guess is that the line is a crack in the screen, but I have no idea how it would have happened. I have not dropped it or hit it recently, but I have dropped my 3ds in the past and it was fine. I also have a screen protector on and am unable to feel any sort of crack or bump.

I would like to know if I can get this repaired for cheap, or at least get rid of the dead pixels. The crack itself is not too noticeable, so as long as I get rid of the dead pixels around it I will be happy.

My 3ds is running Luma 8.1, Boot9Strap, and System Version 11.5.0-38U
I have not installed any new apps or homebrew apps recently.

Here are some pictures I took of it. My camera is terrible, but hopefully you can kinda see what it is. The dead pixels at the bottom of the crack are just to the left of the glare. I tried to get a pic on a blakc background where the entire crack was visible, but it couldn't show up on the camera.

Let me know if there is any other information I can provide.
i know this doesnt help but i dont see any kind of screen issue in those images

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

is this it?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    12.7 KB · Views: 126

TribstyAnn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's hard to see 'cuz of the bad pictures, but right to the let of the glare on the bottom of the screen is a small area of black dead pixels, where there should be colors.

No it's not what you pointed out. I just think that's bad lighting reflecting off the screen.

It's this right here.
screen crack.png

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
is it a n3ds?

if it is watch a youtube video along the lines of Dead Pixel Fixer

(doubt itll work)

TribstyAnn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is a "New" 3ds XL, and I did try watching a dead pixel fixer video. I watched for about 15-220 seconds, but it didn't seem to do anything.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It is a "New" 3ds XL, and I did try watching a dead pixel fixer video. I watched for about 15-220 seconds, but it didn't seem to do anything.
Dead pixel fixers are most effective if left for 24+ hours. A few seconds won't do anything at all.
But I don't think those are simply dead pixels. You may want to buy a replacement screen online and install it yourself.

TribstyAnn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a lot of skill needed to replace a screen yourslef, and is it dangerous. Is there somewhere I can send it in for repairs other than Nintendo? I would send it in to them, but the warranty is over and I don't want them finding and removing my CFW.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended