ROM Hack 3DS ROM Tool: rom_tool

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
weird about your error, i just tested both versions of sonic generations, and both worked fine with -i, i then tried offline, obviously the error is at your end somewhere as all info is grabbed from the rom, it doesnt need an internet connection for anything, cant say about the GUI as never used it, considering 3dsGuy made a super easy/friendly command line app, i dont see the need lol, anyway sonic needs 2.1 firmware minimum if you hadnt got an answer yet
2ru7.png

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the error first from using the commandline before I even tried using the GUI versions. I had trouble with the commandline tool you uploaded, forget the whole GUI thing. I got my answer using Crappy Tiny Reader:: http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Crappy_Tiny_Reader I tried 3DS explorer, however it didn't say what the minimum firmware required for the game is. The only reason why I wanted to find out the firmware version is so I can continue to use my Acekard 2i and be able to use the Gateway 3DS if and when it comes out. I'll give this tool another shot when I need to trim ROMs.
Well I think the problem is caused because rom_tool wasn't compiled to statically include C common libraries, so your computer may have an incompatible version, of the standard c library .dll. No matter, I updated rom_tool to include these libraries, hopefully you won't encounter any internet errors. BTW rom_tool has never and won't ever require an internet connection to read/trim/restore ROMs.

Mementos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It was proven that feature didn't work and only edited the 3DS rom file's developer notes.

He is not refering to the first "Update removing" feature, he is refering to the new super trim feature, which delets the whole update partition.
Could you may test if rms, which got the update partition patched out via "super trimM", works?

Keylogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
NOTE: In release v2.6 and onwards, there exists a feature called "Super Trim". This works by removing the update partition(in addition to unused bytes) from the ROM. This has been tested by Devin, and works with Gateway-3DS. However as this is removing used data from the ROM, the removed update partition CANNOT be restored, and the ROM is PERMANENTLY altered.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tested whether or not the rom still boots after being trimmed. Not if the game prompts me to update. I assume the game still prompts an update if you're not on the beta, but fails to update the 3DS. I wouldn't test this however in fear of updating my 3DS somehow.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
I've tested whether or not the rom still boots after being trimmed. Not if the game prompts me to update. I assume the game still prompts an update if you're not on the beta, but fails to update the 3DS. I wouldn't test this however in fear of updating my 3DS somehow.

you could test if it promts tho
as the promt doesnt save the data to the console

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
He is not refering to the first "Update removing" feature, he is refering to the new super trim feature, which delets the whole update partition.
Could you may test if rms, which got the update partition patched out via "super trimM", works?
What was tested first was editing a string which contained the card's needed firmware, but the 3DS doesn't rely on that string and instead read the encrypted update partition to find which firmware version the game requires.

You can't remove the update partition without the GW firmware spoofer, the 3DS tries to access it.
I think the spoof fully prevent reading the firmware partition, that's why you can delete it now. 3DSGuy could confirm that.

Though, I find it funny that you can remove it without altering the signature.The console might only checks the signature in the header without verifying the game's data presence and checksum/integrity.
Doing so would delay the game's acknowledgment time (to display it on the system menu).

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you could test if it promts tho
as the promt doesnt save the data to the console
Yellows8 is of the opinion that Super Trimming (removing the update partition), will only work with the beta Launcher.dat, as it patches NS to always return 0 when checking if a gamecard update is required.

I'll probably have to edit the original post to say Super Trim works only with the Beta version of Launcher.dat (when using GW 3DS).

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Yellows8 is of the opinion that Super Trimming (removing the update partition), will only work with the beta Launcher.dat, as it patches NS to always return 0 when checking if a gamecard update is required.

I'll probably have to edit the original post to say Super Trim works only with the Beta version of Launcher.dat (when using GW 3DS).

the Beta is referred to as "Gateway Private Beta 1.1" so you could just change to "feature only works with Gateway 1.1"

Reactions: 3DSGuy

elisherer

I ♥ 3DS
Trophies
Website
www.sherer.co.il
XP
Country
Iceland
I don't mind, go ahead.

Cool...

You can now use 3DSExplorer to Trim, Un-Trim and Super-Trim .CCI/.3DS (NCSD based) files!

Check my sig for downloads...

P.S.
I changed yor super trim algorithm by adding a clean at the end of it...
i'm clearing the 8 bytes at 0x158 and at 0x1C8 thus removing all memory of a partition there. (reverted)

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
P.S.
I changed yor super trim algorithm by adding a clean at the end of it...
i'm clearing the 8 bytes at 0x158 and at 0x1C8 thus removing all memory of a partition there.
Do not do that, you're breaking the NCSD signature, no current device has 3DS Sig checks patched.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Were actually bots