Reactions: 3DSGuy

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, updated to version 1.3. It rom_tool no longer requires an output file. All operations are made on the input file. The syntax has changed slightly. As operations are made on the input file, rom trimming and restoring is much faster (Thanks to PsyBlade for the idea).

Syphurith

Beginner
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Okay, updated to version 1.3. It rom_tool no longer requires an output file. All operations are made on the input file. The syntax has changed slightly. As operations are made on the input file, rom trimming and restoring is much faster (Thanks to PsyBlade for the idea).
Hi 3dsguy. Would you upload its source if possible? Someone would simply port that to other languages. Or making GUI for that.
Best regards. Hope someday we could even make a homebrew one of this.

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi 3dsguy. Would you upload its source if possible? Someone would simply port that to other languages. Or making GUI for that.
Best regards. Hope someday we could even make a homebrew one of this.
I'm planning on releasing the source, once I've confirmed what works and what doesn't, so basically some time after Devin gets his hands on a review copy.

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shortly after my announcement of "rom_tool", yellows8 did some research into the Game Card update mechanism of the 3DS. And he found the data I was editing, unused by the 3DS. They info is actually obtained inside the Update Partition of the ROM, which is signed and encrypted. The data I was editing was most likely a reference so Nintendo can quickly see what update is contained in the Game ROM with having to decrypt it to find out.

And for those interested, the source code has been added to the main post.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool tool.

But man this is going to make unmodified (clean) dumps a huge pain in the ass to find now.

Hooray...

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
why would you even want to have "clean" roms
the removed data can be restored trivially
(see my checksum script from my python version if you don't believe me)
its just a wast of space
you might as well oppose compressing them with eg 7zip
(which is actually less efficient than trimming)

mylesofsmiles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks like a great tool. I wanted to check the minimum required firmware for Sonic Generations 3DS with this tool, however it won't work. I have tried several different methods, I even tried different versions and both of the GUI versions posted here. Every single time I get the same error message: There's an internet connection problem, please try again later. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Attachments

• rom_tool not working.JPG
    rom_tool not working.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 528

Syphurith

Beginner
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
This looks like a great tool. I wanted to check the minimum required firmware for Sonic Generations 3DS with this tool, however it won't work. I have tried several different methods, I even tried different versions and both of the GUI versions posted here. Every single time I get the same error message: There's an internet connection problem, please try again later. Any ideas on how to fix this?
Even don't know if those tried to contact Nintendo CDN to see the TMD that includes newest info about the application, i highly susgest you to use 3dsexplorer or the command line version if what you want to do is just a look at the required firmware version. Oh well made a tool by one's own using 3dbrew documents - i wouldn't try to use those GUI directly.

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't write the GUI, you'll have to contact the author or post on the app's thread (http://gbatemp.net/threads/gui-for-3ds-rom_tool.349511/). But as far as I know, you just double click on the ROM name once you've added it to the GUI's ROM list, that brings up the "basic info" for me. Though I wouldn't recommend using the GUI, it hasn't been updated to match the functionality of rom_tool. You could alternatively just use cmd, with command :
Code:
rom_tool -i <path to Sonic Generations ROM>

mylesofsmiles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't write the GUI, you'll have to contact the author or post on the app's thread (http://gbatemp.net/threads/gui-for-3ds-rom_tool.349511/). But as far as I know, you just double click on the ROM name once you've added it to the GUI's ROM list, that brings up the "basic info" for me. Though I wouldn't recommend using the GUI, it hasn't been updated to match the functionality of rom_tool. You could alternatively just use cmd, with command :
Code:
rom_tool -i <path to Sonic Generations ROM>

If you re-read my post: "I have tried several different methods, I even tried different versions". To clear that up, I tried multiple versions of the .exe on FileTrip using the commandline which creates that error. I also tried the GUI versions with the same result. I'm not new to the commandline either. Maybe I'll try a different ROM and see how that works. Does the tool need to download metadata? Maybe there isn't any for this particular game which causes this error. I'll let you know if a different ROM works, thanks for the quick response!

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you re-read my post: "I have tried several different methods, I even tried different versions". To clear that up, I tried multiple versions of the .exe on FileTrip using the commandline which creates that error. I also tried the GUI versions with the same result. I'm not new to the commandline either. Maybe I'll try a different ROM and see how that works. Does the tool need to download metadata? Maybe there isn't any for this particular game which causes this error. I'll let you know if a different ROM works, thanks for the quick response!
Well like I said in my post, I didn't write the GUI, you'll have to contact author to resolve any bugs. But in regards to the internet error, rom_tool does not require an internet connection at all, nor is there any code to bring up a dialogue box like shown in the image you provided. The error is related to the GUI, I cannot help with errors relating to the GUI.

mylesofsmiles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well like I said in my post, I didn't write the GUI, you'll have to contact author to resolve any bugs. But in regards to the internet error, rom_tool does not require an internet connection at all, nor is there any code to bring up a dialogue box like shown in the image you provided. The error is related to the GUI, I cannot help with errors relating to the GUI.

I got the error first from using the commandline before I even tried using the GUI versions. I had trouble with the commandline tool you uploaded, forget the whole GUI thing. I got my answer using Crappy Tiny Reader:: http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Crappy_Tiny_Reader I tried 3DS explorer, however it didn't say what the minimum firmware required for the game is. The only reason why I wanted to find out the firmware version is so I can continue to use my Acekard 2i and be able to use the Gateway 3DS if and when it comes out. I'll give this tool another shot when I need to trim ROMs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs