YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country
I was bored, and since there are so many questions about this, I've decided to create a Map, where you can clearly see what region your 3DS is, if you buy it locally.
Since the Forums don't allow me to use CWGI's in the IMG Tags, I'll provide you the Link to where I've posted it too:
http://www.cw-games.org/forum/index.php?/topic/910-3ds-regions-heres-the-map/

Edit:
Y I no Attach it?

Attachments

• 3DSRegions.png
    3DSRegions.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 34,306
Reactions: 3 people

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
You're forgetting, there's a few other "sub" regions that exist beyond NA/EU/JP.

A lot of SEA countries (Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, etc) and the Middle Eastern countries bear the ASI region, which uses US firmware.

IIRC, Korea (South, dunno about North--might be illegal to own ANYTHING there) also bears a separate region entirely (KO), with their own set of games and of course language.

China also have their own, I think. They have the iQue versions there, IIRC. Not too sure about that though.

YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country
@[member='ferofax']
I've all based on 3 3DS's: My Japanese 3DS, my European 3DS, and an American 3DS from a friend of mine.
USA 3DS includes these SEA ones.

@[member='LockeCole_101629']
The White colours mean either "I don't know, add please!", or "No 3DS available, sorry!".

Reactions: 1 person

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
You're forgetting, there's a few other "sub" regions that exist beyond NA/EU/JP.

A lot of SEA countries (Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, etc) and the Middle Eastern countries bear the ASI region, which uses US firmware.

IIRC, Korea (South, dunno about North--might be illegal to own ANYTHING there) also bears a separate region entirely (KO), with their own set of games and of course language.

China also have their own, I think. They have the iQue versions there, IIRC. Not too sure about that though.
ASI is simply just US 3DS with no club Nintendo, 230V charger and all royalties to Maxsoft - the worst company in the world.

Korea, Taiwan and HK have different firmwares.

iQue 3DS isn't out in PRC yet.

In Singapore you can buy a JPN 3DS easily, because of Free Trade Agreements with Japan and all sorts of crap. However they are still more expensive than an ASI/US set, normally around $50 more.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
no China, no North Africa, no Central Africa, no Korea, no El Salvador, no Nicaragua, no Cuba, nothing on Ukraine-Belarus region and almost nothing on Asia.

I like this kind of map that put away 3/4 of the countries (and many of these countries has 3DS available)

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Since Maxshit is the official distributor of ASI (US) 3DS in SE Asia, the Philippines should be red too.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuOx7-KzSdM

Anyway, this is pretty interesting, thanks! Weird how those 3 random countries are USA region-locked... also, what does this mean for countries without any region? If someone in an "unsupported" region buys a 3DS from one of the supported regions, will they have access to the eShop, online play, etc?

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If someone in an "unsupported" region buys a 3DS from one of the supported regions, will they have access to the eShop, online play, etc?

For most parts yes, but I think nintendo video is IP locked, so if you try to watch video from an unsupported country it wont work.
But for the rest yes it should work, but don't even try to mention to Nintendo that you have any problem with those service, if they discover you use their service in an unsupported country they have the right to ban you (someone from here actually made a thread about that).

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
For most parts yes, but I think nintendo video is IP locked, so if you try to watch video from an unsupported country it wont work.
But for the rest yes it should work, but don't even try to mention to Nintendo that you have any problem with those service, if they discover you use their service in an unsupported country they have the right to ban you (someone from here actually made a thread about that).
Thanks for answering. :)

But wtf does it matter to Nintendo if you're using a 3DS in an unsupported region? As long as you bought it legally and aren't playing pirated games on it, it shouldn't freaking matter to them. I mean, assuming you bought it legally new, you still gave Nintendo the equivalent of $170 USD for pete's sake!

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for answering. :)

But wtf does it matter to Nintendo if you're using a 3DS in an unsupported region? As long as you bought it legally and aren't playing pirated games on it, it shouldn't freaking matter to them. I mean, assuming you bought it legally new, you still gave Nintendo the equivalent of $170 USD for pete's sake!

Retailers and developers fault, also some countries are very strict when it comes to imports.
In many european countries the 3DS costs a lot more than $170, if the 3DS wasn't locked someone could start importing american units and sell them for cheap.
They want to keep track of sales as accurately as possible, it's a pretty big deal when it comes to future releases and localizations.
Nintendo want to avoid getting complaints.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another thing is that region locking was optional for 3DS developers last time I checked, but naturally developers want to know where their games get good sales etc.

Another thing is that region locking was never optional for 3DS developers (at least, not when their game is being released) last time I checked. Nintendo refuses to sign 3DS games if they're region free.
**ck, even demos at stores are region locked!

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Another thing is that region locking was optional for 3DS developers last time I checked, but naturally developers want to know where their games get good sales etc.

Another thing is that region locking was never optional for 3DS developers (at least, not when they're game is being released) last time I checked. Nintendo refuses to sign 3DS games if they're region free.
**ck, even demos at stores are region locked!
I was unsure about that, I do remember reading that somewhere a long time ago...
oh wait, turns out it was about region locked DSi games running on JPN and EU 3DS's or something like that.

BTW El Salvador sells US 3DS's, though they're expensive so people import them from other countries instead.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
no China, no North Africa, no Central Africa, no Korea, no El Salvador, no Nicaragua, no Cuba, nothing on Ukraine-Belarus region and almost nothing on Asia.

I like this kind of map that put away 3/4 of the countries (and many of these countries has 3DS available)

Officially sanctioned countries are what matters. Repackaged grey imports are not actual regions, as far as Nintendo's 3DS active support goes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: