Hardware 3DS price drop

Bobbyloujo

I am a millipede, I am amazing.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the 12th when Nintendo drops the suggested retail price of the 3DS to $169.99 do you think all stores will drop the price on that date? Or will some stores still keep the price at $250 for a while?

Bobbyloujo

I am a millipede, I am amazing.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oooh okay. I didn't know how it all worked. I'll have to check if any stores around here have dropped the price yet.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bobbyloujo said:
Oooh okay. I didn't know how it all worked. I'll have to check if any stores around here have dropped the price yet.
Try your local Costco. Most of their stores have already dropped the price.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
They don't have to drop the price, but you can imagine they'll have trouble selling it if they don't.

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Amiti said:
Didn't they said Wal-Mart was dropping the price early?
Doesn't look like it. They have pre-orders for price-dropped 3DSes on their website, but they ship on August 12th, like they're supposed to. Until then, you have to buy the regular-price ones. Now if specific brick-and-mortar stores drop the price early to try to sell more units, that's a different story.

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like you're right. I called a Walmart near me, and it looks like they're selling 3DSes for $170. Better go out and get me one soon!
tongue.gif

EDIT: What I think is happening is that overtly selling the 3DS for $170 on their website (which is easily researched) might draw some flak from Nintendo, who may want to preserve Ambassador status for those who paid the full $250. Selling them for $170 in-store, however, isn't quite as easy for Nintendo to catch, and they'll get a lot of sales from people who want both the price drop AND the free games.

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not, but any game store with ANY sense will keep their price somewhere near the MSRP, or they'll take a huge sales hit to the companies that DO. In fact, some stores (mostly mom & pop shops) will try to undercut the MSRP in order to drum up sales. It's never a good business practice to sell something for a significantly higher price than your competitors.

alonsog1997

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got mine at Best Buy on Wednesday 10/AUG/2011 for $170 (through a price match on Friday of the same week), and am still eligible for the ambassador program!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, The Doom NES cartridges, a few batches were made. One was given to AVGN as...