Hardware 3DS... Or Vita... Or Neither...

kevan

Imagination rules the world
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well I'm selling my drumkit and I will get exactly $250 (AUS)...
That leaves me with enough money for a 3DS...

The problem is that basically I'm bored of games...
I still like to play games ocasionally like...

Kingdom Hearts
Persona 3 (and I'm sure I would like 4)
Amnesia
Penumbra
Fire Emblem
Ys Seven
Final Fantasy (hate the DS ones)
Nanashi No Game (just started but I'm definitely interested)

So it's pretty evenly split between Vita and 3DS.
(I would buy my Girlfriend something that expensive but she would kill me :()

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Well... You have a nice mix.

3DS is getting Kingdom Hearts, Persona (from wiki, I didn't know it myself), Fire Emblem while I know Vita will have Ys and FF.

Up to you. 3DS is cheaper but Vita will be the shitz when it is hacked thanks to its quad core processor (based on your situation)

Anyway, is this even in the right section?

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Well... You have a nice mix.
What do you mean by that?

And I would assume this is the right section since I am reffering to the 3DS console

Also Vita is getting P4

hmmm :unsure:

Edit: And the Vita gets FFX
What I meant was you have a nice mix of games.

3DS console but you added the Vita in as well, so I personally think it would be at General Consoles instead of 3DS.

If you really like FFX then go for it. It's up to you. No one is forcing you to buy their stuff (other than some crazy fanboys at their sites who act like jerks). If you really like DS games then consider further the 3DS. The Vita will be somehow backwards compatible but only if you have downloaded PSP titles (one of the main reasons why I'm getting one). Despite that Vita will upscale PSP graphics and have a vast online (PSN).

To end it off: it's just up to you.

kevan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm just looking for opinions.

Edit: Ooh Nintendo might be pulling a new pokemon game for 3DS (well Pokemon Gray but anyway)...

steve1974

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I agree with spacejump. Dont sell your drum kit for a 3ds/vita. I had a kit back in highschool and sold it, totally regret that now. Music is way more rewarding then playing video games... my 2 cents

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Well... Persona 4 and FFX are sort of, you know, remakes. You shouldn't make a console purchase based on remakes alone if you have access to the originals.

That said, the answer to any 'Should I get it' debate is 'Whichever has more games and functions that appeal to you". And that's a question only you, not us can answer.

Edit:
Keep the drum set and wait for the 3DS Lite to come out.
Yeah, keep waiting.

I'd suggest you keep the drum set after some consideration.
>DS Launches November of 2004 with design flaws
>DS lite launches March of 2006 and corrects design flaws
Less than a year and a half.

>3DS launches March 2011
According to this trend, we're in for a redesign in 8 months.

Nintendo did make a press release saying that the 3DS case is pretty cramped and there's little room for making things slimmer. However it's undeniable that there are design flaws to the console, and Nintendo may want to stick that second analog stick into the next revision (Hey, just look at the Motion+). And though the console is doing all right, Nintendo is disappointed with its sales. I expect a redesign when Nintendo feels they need to boost sales.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Well... Persona 4 and FFX are sort of, you know, remakes. You shouldn't make a console purchase based on remakes alone if you have access to the originals.

That said, the answer to any 'Should I get it' debate is 'Whichever has more games and functions that appeal to you". And that's a question only you, not us can answer.

Edit:
Keep the drum set and wait for the 3DS Lite to come out.
Yeah, keep waiting.

I'd suggest you keep the drum set after some consideration.
>DS Launches November of 2004 with design flaws
>DS lite launches March of 2006 and corrects design flaws
Less than a year and a half.

>3DS launches March 2011
According to this trend, we're in for a redesign in 8 months.

Nintendo did make a press release saying that the 3DS case is pretty cramped and there's little room for making things slimmer. However it's undeniable that there are design flaws to the console, and Nintendo may want to stick that second analog stick into the next revision (Hey, just look at the Motion+). And though the console is doing all right, Nintendo is disappointed with its sales. I expect a redesign when Nintendo feels they need to boost sales.
While I do agree with some points, is Motion+ even a redesign to the Wii?

Nintendo did say that the 3D screen can get bigger though.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Nah mate, it's an external addition to the controller that added extra functionality.

Just like the slider pad.

The Motion+ was built in before long and I reckon the slider pad might be as well.

kevan

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't use my kit so there is no point at all in keeping it.
I don't give a damn about the 3DS revision which may
or may not come...

I need to go add Tales of to my list...

Edit: I guess I'm going to get neither since I play my DS 20 mins a day...
They're not worth it.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
BTW, when you ask these things on the internet you will get a lot of people cramming their opinion into your face, saying that the competitor is bad and the product they like is better.
So if you want to make the best choice, do your research.

I might add some Positives and Negatives for them both, but im going out.
(BTW im a bit of a Nintendo fanboy so i might accidently skim over some of the Vita stuff.)

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imho, the 3ds as of now, is a great cheap alternative for your next gen gaming needs. :)
You can carry you ds games over as well.

Those are just two things. Do more research and make a choice.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think asking this question in the 3DS forum instead of General Consoles is gonna lead to your answer.

The 3DS looks to be a good alternative to the DS, honestly. It's got better features than the DSi and the analog slider is a good plus for any games that move in a 3D environment. I'd take it over a larger screen, honestly (and at the same price). As a standalone system, I wouldn't even start with it until sometime next year. Mario Kart 7 looks fulfilling by my standards and it has a few "candy bar" games (short but sweet) coming up but I'm still finding it lacking when it comes to a big meaty game, outside of the endless replayability of Tetris Axis. Wait for a Pokemon game to come out for that area to be filled.

I'm a Vita guy myself and crossplaying with a few games really helps quell my fears of the dreaded "dead zone" that was PSP online gaming. At least now you can play with PS3 owners of games (I think Wipeout and UMvC3 both support this, for instance). It's a bit pricier but if you were willing to shell out $250 for a 3DS then there's no issue. The new media kinda sucks but you buy one cart and you'll probably be set for your lifetime. I'm liking how it's coming out mostly, minus a few things but overall it's gonna be my handheld for the next gen. Maybe I'll get the 3DS cheap one day used and use it to replace my piece-of-shit DS Phat.

Reactions: 1 person

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
There are a lot of games that I want on the Vita examples are (Disgaea 3, Tales of Innocence R,Dream Club Zero).But only one of them is coming to America, Dream Club has almost no chanced of coming to America, and Tales might if the others sell well.Now the 3DS also has a lot of games that I want, however most of them are coming to America or will come out in English. Except for one of my most antcipated games New LovePlus (I hope it comes to America so bad.......) I'll say 3DS!

oxenh

The most unknown member of GBAtemp
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Is up to you what console you choose
if my opinion help you a bit, i own a psp, a dsi, a 3ds and plan to buy a psvita sometime in 2012
bolth company(sony and nintendo) offer to you different view of "gaming"
sony offer the hardcore vision of the gamer and offer game in that line
nintendo tend to bring more "childish" games
I not saying that one company or other grant to you better games, just diferent options

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction