Hacking 3DS not loading luma anymore, soundhax/no apps running

juins

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
hey guys i have a friends' old 3ds here on 11.3
I got everything up and running after installing A9LH+Luma and installed all my stuff. Eventually i was curious and did the stuff mentioned here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/
because i was curious if this method worked on 11.3. I DO know it worked on 11.2 and lower. Launcher loaded, but before entering sysmenu i got a black screen.

Now, every game/app says this software could not be loaded.
Luma3DS 'Select' menu wont run, neither will any payload.
Entering HBL via soundhax returns immediatly to the main menu after it says 'The robpin is ready'.
Basically any and all entrypoints into doing anything are not working. Its as if the 3DS returned to vanilla state.

Can anyone help me out here? Really bizarre, have never seen this before.
This is my first time working on 11.3 btw

Decooter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm by no means an expert so I could easily be wrong about this, but I thought I read somewhere that gateway only works properly on 11.2 or lower and that if you launch it on 11.3 or 11.4 it will screw with your a9lh and you'll lose everything.

You might be fucked bro

EDIT: By lose everything I meant it uninstalls a9lh and you lose cfw.

Last edited by Decooter,

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
by everything are you including the system apps or just the CFW installed titles? Try updating boot.3dsx and the otherapp payload, and then see if you can reinstall a9lh (I would highly recommend doing this after making a NAND back up if you don't have one).

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hey guys i have a friends' old 3ds here on 11.3
I got everything up and running after installing A9LH+Luma and installed all my stuff. Eventually i was curious and did the stuff mentioned here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/
because i was curious if this method worked on 11.3. I DO know it worked on 11.2 and lower. Launcher loaded, but before entering sysmenu i got a black screen.

Now, every game/app says this software could not be loaded.
Luma3DS 'Select' menu wont run, neither will any payload.
Entering HBL via soundhax returns immediatly to the main menu after it says 'The robpin is ready'.
Basically any and all entrypoints into doing anything are not working. Its as if the 3DS returned to vanilla state.

Can anyone help me out here? Really bizarre, have never seen this before.
This is my first time working on 11.3 btw

You screwed up. Using gateway on sysnand above 11.2 will remove a9lh because gateway didn't implement firm protection. GW is still not compatible with these firmwares. We have at least five threads already here on gbatemp discussing this issue.

You are lucky to have an o3ds. You would have bricked if you used a n3ds.

So read 3ds.guide and start from beginning again

Last edited by GothicIII,

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You screwed up. Using gateway on sysnand above 11.2 will remove a9lh because gateway didn't implement firm protection. GW is still not compatible with these firmwares. We have at least five threads already here on gbatemp discussing this issue.

Why would N3DS brick? What would the difference be that causes that?

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Why would N3DS brick? What would the difference be that causes that?

I am not reverse engineering this so I don't know for sure but I think it's because a9lh is differently implemented for o3ds. -> e.g. O3ds doesn't originally had a secret_sector.bin so in that case it just boots normally when the firmware messes with firm partitions for whatever reasons. For n3ds it's a brick because firm0 is broken (invalid hash) completely after this and it falls back to firm1 partition which is then also broken and because there is no fall back after that the system stuck on a black screen. N3ds has just an added layer of protection.

Don't quote me on this though. Just speculating.

Edit: or did I mixed something up and it really just removes a9lh? I am now not sure anymore.

Last edited by GothicIII,
Reactions: Quantumcat

juins

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

well, this is obviously a very unique case because since im on A9LH with a nand backup obviously i know that in any scenario i could just use my nand backup to restore.
Is this confirmed that i lost a9lh? I've never read anything of the like. (EDIT: nvm, just read it.) Also, i couldnt be able to restart the whole thing because HBL isnt loading, it just returns me to main menu when trying to run it thru soundhax

@RedBlueGreen only cfw stuff. normal system stuff runs fine.

EDIT:
on that note. is there a way to downgrade 11.3 to 11.2?

EDIT2: nvm, got HBL to run thru soundhax again, gonna do the whole a9lh process again.
Still wanna know if possible to downgrade 11.3 to 11.2 tho

Last edited by juins,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
EDIT2: nvm, got HBL to run thru soundhax again. Still wanna know if possible to downgrade 11.3 to 11.2 tho
Yes, once you get a9lh again, do a 9.2 CTR transfer then update with a Yoshi's Wooly World rom using Gateway mode. Or, you can find the 11.2 cias on that iso site and downgrade using sysupdater. Make sure you use emuNAND in future, Gateway is dangerous on sysNAND.

Reactions: OrGoN3

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
It is written 5 times in bold in big font at the beginning of the guide you linked and said you followed...
LOL you are right. How could OP miss this? Literally the first words of the post, in extra large font and bolded.
I highly advise against the use of GW for SysNAND-Only setups.

11.3&11.4 Break GW. GW currently DOES NOT support 11.3 or 11.4. You will either brick or lose A9LH. More than likely it seems you will just lose A9LH.

Again, if you attempt to boot GW Mode, on a SYSNAND-Only Setup while on 11.3 or 11.4, you will lose A9LH. It does not matter if you safely updated to this firmware via another CFW that safelyprotects FIRM.

Reactions: Hayleia

juins

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@Quantumcat yea i was using that same page but i had it saved locally from months ago, so that bold text didnt appear on my local save. Checked after reading the comments in the thread and saw it. I edited my comment btw.

juins

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@Quantumcat I know which iso site youre talking about and used to use it for 9.2 files, but i literally cannot find any 11.2 files on it

Also, update using Wooly World in GW mode? How do u do that? i once was able to do it back in the day but I dont get update prompts anymore upon loading games.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
@Quantumcat I know which iso site youre talking about and used to use it for 9.2 files, but i literally cannot find any 11.2 files on it

Also, update using Wooly World in GW mode? How do u do that? i once was able to do it back in the day but I dont get update prompts anymore upon loading games.
Sorry you're right the highest the files go on the iso site it 10.3. To disable update blocking, open the Gateway menu and hold Up when choosing to boot Gateway mode (I think - if it doesn't work and you can't find it how let me know and I'll do a search for you).

juins

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@Quantumcat so i tried holding up upon loading GW mode, and that isnt the right button

think u can figure out how to disable update blocking? I did some reading and it seems the up on dpad thing only works for emunand

i gotta either
-get a working 11.2 pack for sysdowngrader
-some other kind of alternative to get on 11.2 (dont have access to cartridges atm)

EDIT
nvm, ur right, other games are offering updates, but my version of yoshis wooly world isnt...
gonna find another version of the game and ill post back

Last edited by juins,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
@Quantumcat so i tried holding up upon loading GW mode, and that isnt the right button

think u can figure out how to disable update blocking? I did some reading and it seems the up on dpad thing only works for emunand

i gotta either
-get a working 11.2 pack for sysdowngrader
-some other kind of alternative to get on 11.2 (dont have access to cartridges atm)
Yep it is Up: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-update-emunand-via-rom-current-max-9-4-5.388692/

If you have an emuNAND on your SD card you also have to hold a combination of buttons to boot sysNAND from the Gateway menu. It may be easier to get another SD card and just have the necessary files on it. That way there will not be an emuNAND present and you won't have to hold the combination.

juins

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yep it is Up: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-update-emunand-via-rom-current-max-9-4-5.388692/

If you have an emuNAND on your SD card you also have to hold a combination of buttons to boot sysNAND from the Gateway menu. It may be easier to get another SD card and just have the necessary files on it. That way there will not be an emuNAND present and you won't have to hold the combination.

got it to work. Got ahold of another version of Wooly World and it updated to 11.2 just now. Thanks man

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol