• Views 4,435,940
  • Replies 53,768
  • Likes 43

flarn2006

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. But it's very unlikely to brick your 3DS now.
Gateway is? Did they remove the malicious code? Because I don't want to get it even if that code is there. If not, what changed exactly?
And what about the clones that they inserted that code to try to prevent from being made? Are those just as safe, or safer?

roxas-89

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Gateway is? Did they remove the malicious code? Because I don't want to get it even if that code is there. If not, what changed exactly?
And what about the clones that they inserted that code to try to prevent from being made? Are those just as safe, or safer?

Well no one is certain 100% if the brick code has been removed but at least it's much stable and secure now and won't trigger if you're using a genuine gateway and not any modified launchers also I haven't heard about any bricking cases since omega came out.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well no one is certain 100% if the brick code has been removed but at least it's much stable and secure now and won't trigger if you're using a genuine gateway and not any modified launchers also I haven't heard about any bricking cases since omega came out.
That's what they said at 2.0B2, too. The bricks needed a while to appear there, too.

acer7

Graphic Designer
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I Play all games with Gateway 3DS?
How many games can I store in one SD Card?
If a buy an original game like Pokemon X will I be able to go online with it?
Could anyone please answer my questions?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
That's what they said at 2.0B2, too. The bricks needed a while to appear there, too.
well i did try interfering with the launcher to try force it to trigger, I.e editing some odd bytes of the launcher to break the checksums, modifying the files "created date" etc, some devs said that the code looks pretty much impossible to trigger when using a official launcher.

as i understand it, the old brick code loaded by default so any bugs in the loading process or corruption of the SD card "could" lead to the brick code being accidentally triggered....even if the launcher was absolutely un-modified, running diagnostics caused some loaded data to be corrupted meaning the brick code could inadvertently be reached as it was still loaded in to memory

if I'm understanding correctly, the revised brick code does not get loaded in to memory unless the initial payload has been specifically hacked. so any bugs in the memory will not cause the brick code to be reached for legitimate users as the code is not loaded and can't trigger by accident.

this is my interpretation the info from the dev's....but i ain't no dev so i'm not 100% on the details, but its something like that :P

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
well i did try interfering with the launcher to try force it to trigger, I.e editing some odd bytes of the launcher to break the checksums, modifying the files "created date" etc, some devs said that the code looks pretty much impossible to trigger when using a official launcher.

as i understand it, the old brick code loaded by default so any bugs in the loading process or corruption of the SD card "could" lead to the brick code being accidentally triggered....even if the launcher was absolutely un-modified, running diagnostics caused some loaded data to be corrupted meaning the brick code could inadvertently be reached as it was still loaded in to memory

if I'm understanding correctly, the revised brick code does not get loaded in to memory unless the initial payload has been specifically hacked. so any bugs in the memory will not cause the brick code to be reached for legitimate users as the code is not loaded and can't trigger by accident.

this is my interpretation the info from the dev's....but i ain't no dev so i'm not 100% on the details, but its something like that :P
There can usually be bugs.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
There can usually be bugs.
yeah, that's what the whole b2 bricks where, but having the code separate from the main payload "should" mean that it will never be triggered by any bugs like what happened in b2, only way the code will run now is if you edit the payload and disable the first payloads security checks....then edit the second payload too....not something that is likely with a simple load bug or whatever

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'll start here before making a topic later if I don't get an answer. Recently my room mate acquired an Action Replay, which got me wondering. Could the Action replay be used to allow region locked games to play? I recall other systems having similar workarounds.

Alternatively, think Datel will make a freeloader? xD

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
i don't want to make a new thread for this, i have seen similar things with people talking about dlc, but i'm still not sure.
yesterday in emunand, i downloaded some game updates, they were working fine. and today they are not there anymore, at least, a game had a 'new update' notification when i went to load it.
i read about people having to do things like redownload dlc and things, but why is this, what causes it?
i did go into my 'real nand''s app data, and have a look around, that can do this right? i still don't see WHY it happens... at least i can simply redownload the game updates, just it would be nice if it didn't happen :)

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i don't want to make a new thread for this, i have seen similar things with people talking about dlc, but i'm still not sure.
yesterday in emunand, i downloaded some game updates, they were working fine. and today they are not there anymore, at least, a game had a 'new update' notification when i went to load it.
i read about people having to do things like redownload dlc and things, but why is this, what causes it?
i did go into my 'real nand''s app data, and have a look around, that can do this right? i still don't see WHY it happens... at least i can simply redownload the game updates, just it would be nice if it didn't happen :)

warning: the following is not absolutely true but should be true (and esprecially understandable) enough:

when you enter the data management section, the 3DS checks locally (as in not online) if it is entitled to have said app data installed (you can look up titele database/tmd/tickets on 3dbrew if you want to).

When you are on sysnand, said entitlement information is missing for stuff you downloaded from emunand and the settings app will delete this data.

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
warning: the following is not absolutely true but should be true (and esprecially understandable) enough:

when you enter the data management section, the 3DS checks locally (as in not online) if it is entitled to have said app data installed (you can look up titele database/tmd/tickets on 3dbrew if you want to).

When you are on sysnand, said entitlement information is missing for stuff you downloaded from emunand and the settings app will delete this data.
so the data is actually deleted, as in the space on my sd card is returned? :) cool that makes sense, thanks a lot :)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
so the data is actually deleted, as in the space on my sd card is returned? :) cool that makes sense, thanks a lot :)
You can actually prevent this by formatting the system memory, then the 2 firmwares will store their content in 2 different folders. So accidentally running data management won't just delete it all

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
You can actually prevent this by formatting the system memory, then the 2 firmwares will store their content in 2 different folders. So accidentally running data management won't just delete it all
oooh ok, that's cool... any idea if, with my bundled digital version game that came installed on my 3ds, if that would be available on the emunand system after i separate them?
i guess it would just take up extra space as a separate game... hmm

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
oooh ok, that's cool... any idea if, with my bundled digital version game that came installed on my 3ds, if that would be available on the emunand system after i separate them?
i guess it would just take up extra space as a separate game... hmm
You can do it the other way around I would imagine.....but idk tbh, I haven't seen anyone format the emunand side, so that's why I suggested the system NAND instead just to be safe :)

But you could try it if you had say the ambassador titles on system NAND as after formatting you would loose all your licenses for your system nand content, and they don't work in emunand

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
thanks again :) ok also, another question, i set up the street pass relay thing with an android phone etc, i'm not sure if it is working or not.
the nintendo zone icon flashes blue, i go into the app, and then i press the button 'search nintendo zone' or something, and i get an error...? it couldn't connect to the nintendo zone. (i'm on emunand)

i have a password on the access point, is this a problem, i think i read it doesn't have to be open though.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
thanks again :) ok also, another question, i set up the street pass relay thing with an android phone etc, i'm not sure if it is working or not.
the nintendo zone icon flashes blue, i go into the app, and then i press the button 'search nintendo zone' or something, and i get an error...? it couldn't connect to the nintendo zone. (i'm on emunand)

i have a password on the access point, is this a problem, i think i read it doesn't have to be open though.

Tbh some phone just don't work with the street pass relay thing, mine "looked" like it was working same as yours but nothing came through, works fine with the raspberry pi tho, see if you can find anyone using the same model as you, some phone's just won't change the wifi's MAC address so it won't work.......ps mine was a Xperia s, also tried it with a galaxy s1 and s2 with no luck....but I seem to remember seeing someone saying it worked on their galaxy s1 ....but I think it can be hit n miss between phone firmwares even :hateit:

Reactions: bkifft and cearp

Raiolu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi.

I have bought a Flame Red 3DS with pre-installed Super Mario 3D Land and is on 4.3.0-10U.
As I was about to put the launcher.dat on the root of the SD Card that came with the 3DS..

"The disk is write-protected" and something like that.

Shall I buy another SD Card? Shall I remove the write-protection? If so, how, and will it affect my pre-installed game?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 196

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi.

I have bought a Flame Red 3DS with pre-installed Super Mario 3D Land and is on 4.3.0-10U.
As I was about to put the launcher.dat on the root of the SD Card that came with the 3DS..

"The disk is write-protected" and something like that.

Shall I buy another SD Card? Shall I remove the write-protection? If so, how, and will it affect my pre-installed game?

First off, make sure your sd card's little switch is up and not down. That would cause your problem.

Assuming it isn't, you should try another sd card, but that probably won't fix it. Sounds like you possibly have gotten a faulty sd card reader in your system. :/

Raiolu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First off, make sure your sd card's little switch is up and not down. That would cause your problem.

Assuming it isn't, you should try another sd card, but that probably won't fix it. Sounds like you possibly have gotten a faulty sd card reader in your system. :/

Im sure it is up. I will post a picture of the SD card when I inserted it.
Actually, there is a SD CARD slot on my system unit. Meaning I did not use any SD card reader. I can't go to the mall and grab another SD CARD right now. Any of the others encountered a problem like these? And, when I tried to put MP3 files here, that message popped up too.

"The disk is write-protected" blah blah.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    569.3 KB · Views: 201

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im sure it is up. I will post a picture of the SD card when I inserted it.
Actually, there is a SD CARD slot on my system unit. Meaning I did not use any SD card reader. I can't go to the mall and grab another SD CARD right now. Any of the others encountered a problem like these? And, when I tried to put MP3 files here, that message popped up too.

"The disk is write-protected" blah blah.

Just in case you didn't already, did you try rebooting? I've had this happen before. Sometimes a new card reader will read one type of cards better than others also.
Last thing is to check your USB drivers, just in case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol