• Views 4,440,248
  • Replies 53,769
  • Likes 43

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
what's the best solution to use cheat plugins, having gm9 and luma3ds? and also, do those plugins work with legit games? I mean actual cartridges and not dumped games installed as cias.

Deleted member 383179

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Hello,
Is there a way I convert CIAs I have dumped from my system to a format usable for Citra, using only my computer? I can't use my 3DS right now, but I have files like my OTP and some other stuff on my computer.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Does anyone have a recommendation for a cart to play DS games on 2DS with latest firmware?
If you have CFW any should work - just get the cheapest. But once you decide which one to get, do a search in case there are any recent posts of people having trouble with them. And buy from a reputable site (nds-card.com is recommended or check the site reviews forum here to see if anyone has issues with the site you're thinking of buying from).

toptenmaterial

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have CFW any should work - just get the cheapest. But once you decide which one to get, do a search in case there are any recent posts of people having trouble with them. And buy from a reputable site (nds-card.com is recommended or check the site reviews forum here to see if anyone has issues with the site you're thinking of buying from).

Thanks. My main issue is that I don't have a technical bone in my body, so whatever is the simplest would be the best.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks. My main issue is that I don't have a technical bone in my body, so whatever is the simplest would be the best.
They all require the same thing, putting kernel files on a microSD card and putting that in the flashcart. If you go with one of the ntrboot capable cards it may be easier to find the kernel files (since a lot of people are using them) or a DSTwo (but they're a lot more expensive). Ntrboot capable cards are here https://3ds.guide/ntrboot

nkdx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello everyone,
Id like to download games from freeshop, but when I open the app it says "unable to start nims" and when i tap the moon icon it says "a system update is required to download in sleep mode" even though i'm already on 11.6. I ctrtransfered my 3ds from us to eu and i used ntrboothax to hack it if thats any help. Thanks in advance !

GosuSan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey everyone,

I recently bought a New 2DS XL and I plan on installing a CFW on it as soon as my flashcart arrives.
I've already read:
- Introduction to 3DS hacking
- the 3DS hacking Glossary in the wiki
- the Guide on 3ds.guide
(no links because new member)
That gave me a basic understanding of what awaits me when my cart arrives.

But there are still some things that are not totally clear to me.
I am a bit obsessed with the tidiness of my devices and backups, so a good bit of my questions might be related to that.

So here are my questions:

1. Backups

- Is there anything I can (should / need to) backup before installing CFW?
- Is it possible to do a full system backup that contains every single file that is on my device?
Pretty sure this is not possible at all on OFW, but how about when I have already installed CFW?

2. NAND

- The NAND is the internal storage of my device, right? So everything that is not on the SD is stored there?
- I've heard a lot of different opinions about EmuNAND, whether it has any use or not.
My understanding is that when I create an EmuNAND-Environment I get a copy of my sysNAND that can be unlinked
to get a new "identity" basically. As long as I don't use the SysNAND anymore it can act as some sort of "backup partition"
if I fuck up the EmuNAND. Is that right?
- Are there any downsides when using EmuNAND besides the occupied space on the SD card? Performance / Security?

3. Flashcarts

- There are a lot of different Brands, some work with 3DS-roms, some are only DS-roms and some have preinstalled ntrboot for CFW install.
I actually only looked into the ones that can be used for ntrboot and ordered the R4i Gold 3DS Plus because I kinda liked it
and it wasn't too expensive. But do all those carts actually using different techniques to achieve the same thing or are they
just clones of the same tech?

- There are some carts labeled "DualCore" so they have actual CPUs on them? If yes, why?
- Is there an article or something similar that describes the "history of flashcarts"?
I find that an interesting topic...
EDIT: I now know that "RTS" means "real time save" but what does it actually do?

4. Homebrew

That might have been discussed a lot already, I'm not quite sure what the "essentials" of 2DS/3DS Homebrew would look like.
- I plan on installing Luma and Godmode and those two seem to cover a whole lot of functionality.
- FBI for installing stuff, managing saves etc.
- what else?

5. Anything else that I need to know?

I know that was quite a lot, sorry :)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by GosuSan,

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hey everyone,

I recently bought a New 2DS XL and I plan on installing a CFW on it as soon as my flashcart arrives.
I've already read:
- Introduction to 3DS hacking
- the 3DS hacking Glossary in the wiki
- the Guide on 3ds.guide
(no links because new member)
That gave me a basic understanding of what awaits me when my cart arrives.

But there are still some things that are not totally clear to me.
I am a bit obsessed with the tidiness of my devices and backups, so a good bit of my questions might be related to that.

So here are my questions:

1. Backups

a. Is there anything I can (should / need to) backup before installing CFW?
b. Is it possible to do a full system backup that contains every single file that is on my device?
Pretty sure this is not possible at all on OFW, but how about when I have already installed CFW?

2. NAND

a. The NAND is the internal storage of my device, right? So everything that is not on the SD is stored there?
b. I've heard a lot of different opinions about EmuNAND, whether it has any use or not.
My understanding is that when I create an EmuNAND-Environment I get a copy of my sysNAND that can be unlinked
to get a new "identity" basically. As long as I don't use the SysNAND anymore it can act as some sort of "backup partition"
if I fuck up the EmuNAND. Is that right?
c. Are there any downsides when using EmuNAND besides the occupied space on the SD card? Performance / Security?

3. Flashcarts

a. There are a lot of different Brands, some work with 3DS-roms, some are only DS-roms and some have preinstalled ntrboot for CFW install.
I actually only looked into the ones that can be used for ntrboot and ordered the R4i Gold 3DS Plus because I kinda liked it
and it wasn't too expensive. But do all those carts actually using different techniques to achieve the same thing or are they
just clones of the same tech?

b. There are some carts labeled "DualCore" so they have actual CPUs on them? If yes, why?
c. Is there an article or something similar that describes the "history of flashcarts"?
I find that an interesting topic...

4. Homebrew

That might have been discussed a lot already, I'm not quite sure what the "essentials" of 2DS/3DS Homebrew would look like.
- I plan on installing Luma and Godmode and those two seem to cover a whole lot of functionality.
- FBI for installing stuff, managing saves etc.
- what else?

5. Anything else that I need to know?

I know that was quite a lot, sorry :)

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. a. No need to backup anything before installing cfw.
b. Nand backups are basically a full backup.

2. a. Yes
b. Yes, but nowadays you can just restore a nand backup and update sysnand freely, so you don't need emunand.
c. I think there are, but can't remember what.

3. a. 3ds flashcards are basically useless now that cfw can be installed on any firmware. There are a lot of clones, but there are completely different cards also.
b. That's just marketing
c. I don't think there is.

4. The guide makes you install Anemone3ds for themes and Checkpoint for save management. You can also install ntrboot selector to use NTR CFW. It allows streaming video to PC and a few other tweaks. FTPDB is good if you want to manage your sd card through ftp.

5. The guide covers everything quite well

Reactions: GosuSan

GosuSan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1. a. No need to backup anything before installing cfw.
b. Nand backups are basically a full backup.

2. a. Yes
b. Yes, but nowadays you can just restore a nand backup and update sysnand freely, so you don't need emunand.
c. I think there are, but can't remember what.

3. a. 3ds flashcards are basically useless now that cfw can be installed on any firmware. There are a lot of clones, but there are completely different cards also.
b. That's just marketing
c. I don't think there is.

4. The guide makes you install Anemone3ds for themes and Checkpoint for save management. You can also install ntrboot selector to use NTR CFW. It allows streaming video to PC and a few other tweaks. FTPDB is good if you want to manage your sd card through ftp.

5. The guide covers everything quite well

Thanks a lot, that was really helpful.

2 more questions that just popped up again:
1. what is "wood" firmware? Has something to do with the flashcarts, but I can't fund out what it actually does.
2. I now know that "RTS" means "real time save", but what does it do?

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Thanks a lot, that was really helpful.

2 more questions that just popped up again:
1. what is "wood" firmware? Has something to do with the flashcarts, but I can't fund out what it actually does.
2. I now know that "RTS" means "real time save", but what does it do?
1. It's a popular firmware for some flashcards
2. It means the ability the save at any point, like savestates in emulators.

Reactions: GosuSan

hack3r2507

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi! I hacked my 3DS last year and turned it on today. My question is: When I update Luma, can I update to highest FW? (11.6 lr whatever it is)

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hello everyone,
Id like to download games from freeshop, but when I open the app it says "unable to start nims" and when i tap the moon icon it says "a system update is required to download in sleep mode" even though i'm already on 11.6. I ctrtransfered my 3ds from us to eu and i used ntrboothax to hack it if thats any help. Thanks in advance !
Can you use eShop normally?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I ctrtransfered my 3ds so I cant access the eshop. However i tried a homebrew app called "download in your sleep" (litterally) and it tells me it was unable to start nims as well.
You may need to google but see if you can find the cia for the eShop (nims) for your region and type and install it. Can use 3DNUS.

nkdx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You may need to google but see if you can find the cia for the eShop (nims) for your region and type and install it. Can use 3DNUS.
Thank you for your reply. So using 3dnus i have to download the eshop cia again and install it on my 3ds ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Touché.