3DS NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Cyan, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    It is as easy as replacing the boot.firm file on the root of your SD card, yes. Alternatively, you can also use Luma Updater from the 3DS itself, which will download and replace the boot.firm file for you.

If you want to be able to boot your 3DS with the latest version of Luma3DS without an SD card, you need to make sure you copy the latest Luma3DS boot.firm from your SD card to the root of your CTRNAND. Luma Updater can do this for you.

You are free to update your 3DS while using B9S and Luma3DS, so there's nothing wrong with being online. However, if you're going to be online with your 3DS, it is recommended you follow these steps to minimize your risk of being banned:
    Since you have B9S and Luma3DS installed, you have no need for Flipnote Studio 3D as a homebrew entry point. You can already use homebrew with Rosalina.

There are several SNES emulators that could be used on the R4 flashcart, including SnesDS and SNEmulDS. You should use whichever emulator you prefer. However, SNES9x will probably run better. If you use a N3DS, you could just use Virtual Console games, which should run even better.

Functionally, neither is better than the other. If you prefer to download CIA files on your computer because it's quicker, you can install those with FBI. If you prefer the convenience of downloading and installing games through freeShop, then use that one.

Angelita Perez likes this.

2. Angelita Perez

Angelita Perez GBAtemp Regular

Nov 15, 2013
    United States
    Thanks for the answers. I read there was problems with luma updater so I thought I ask about just changing boot.firm
    which is super easy. Since I haven't see any errors yet, maybe I should wait to update it.

"If you want to be able to boot your 3DS with the latest version of Luma3DS without an SD card, you need to make sure you copy the latest Luma3DS boot.firm from your SD card to the root of your CTRNAND. Luma Updater can do this for you."

Is that better to do? so having luma boot.firm in 2 places in case one doesn't work the others does? sounds like it shouldn't be an option but should be a must? or I don't understand it well! hmm..

Last edited by Angelita Perez, Aug 12, 2017 at 12:17 AM
  3. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    Can I play the EUR version of Miitopia on my USA 3DS with Luma?

4. 210modz

210modz Newbie

Newcomer
    Friday
    United States
    Would i be better off doing a hardmod or waiting for a software solution?

5. lone_wolf323

lone_wolf323 GBAtemp Fan

May 27, 2011
    Canada
    What console do you have. what fireware is it. and what exactly are you hoping to be able to do with your system?

6. 210modz

210modz Newbie

Newcomer
    Friday
    United States
    It's a new 3ds xl on 11.5. I'd like to run backups and retro.

7. lone_wolf323

lone_wolf323 GBAtemp Fan

May 27, 2011
    Canada
    I do know there are entry points that allow for userland homebrew where you can run apps to restore backups and play retro emulators

8. 210modz

210modz Newbie

Newcomer
    Friday
    United States
    I wouldn't be backing up my games but installing cia

9. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Buy a 2DS oh 11.3 or less, install CFW on it, use it to install CFW on your N3DS, sell the 2DS. You won't lose anything and might make a profit.

10. 210modz

210modz Newbie

Newcomer
    Friday
    United States
    Why would I buy a 2ds? Hardmod is pretty simple looking. I've done hundreds of RGH's and PS3 downgrades so it's not out of my skill set at all.

Last edited by 210modz, Aug 12, 2017 at 6:48 AM
  11. Uumas

Uumas GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 17, 2016
    Finland
    If you are confident with your soldering skills and willing to take the risk then go for it. Make sure you understand exactly what you're doing.

Last edited by Uumas, Aug 12, 2017 at 7:07 AM
    Quantumcat and 210modz like this.
  12. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    Is there a way to boot B9S without the SD card like when you had to install a9lh to NAND?

13. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
  14. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
  15. ZhafuanZ

ZhafuanZ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2016
    Malaysia
    Is there a way to extract home menu icons? There's one that 3DSGuy created but it doesn't look easy for me to use and he hasn't updated the program in a while, so I'm a bit hesitant on using it.

16. azeluk

azeluk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2010
    Hey everyone,

3ds n00b here in need of some advice.

I am in the process of purchasing a 1st gen 3ds I would love to have a flash card for it but I'm getting really really confused.

I've used a flash cart on my ds in the past and it was really simple to use flash it with the kernel drag and drop games etc. But I've heard it's not so simple with the 3ds can any one point me in the direction of a guide or can they tell me of a cart that you can just plug in and play etc.

Many thanks

17. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Just follow https://3ds.guide

18. Uumas

Uumas GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 17, 2016
    Finland
    Just follow https://3ds.guide You don't need a flashcard

19. azeluk

azeluk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2010
    Do I have to install a cfw? I'm not really keen on that.

20. Pyra

Pyra do we have an official quilava mascot yet?

May 7, 2017
    United States
    Ohio, USA
    -snip-

it's recommended that you do, as a flashcart can only let you play regular ds games and install cfw, and that's it.

if you just want to play ds games though, you can get an r4i gold 3ds rts here: http://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=149

it's your best bet. i think you need cfw to run it but idk for sure.

Last edited by Pyra, Aug 12, 2017 at 12:27 PM - Reason: edit, misread the question and also forgot to add a thing