• Replies 53,768
  • Likes 43

superluccix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you get the coloured screen that means you still have menuhax installed - uninstall it if you can. This means booting into sysnand and changing your theme.

Okay. So for my situation, you want me to hold down any button on boot, which will then allow me into sysNAND (Because without holding a button I get the flashing colors, followed by the screen tear and freeze), and then change the theme to any other color.

So if the above is correct, what do you want me to do afterwards? Follow the Move EmuNAND part of the guide? (Assuming everything above works)

Last edited by superluccix,

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Okay. So for my situation, you want me to hold down any button on boot, which will then allow me into sysNAND (Because without holding a button I get the flashing colors, followed by the screen tear and freeze), and then change the theme to any other color.

So if the above is correct, what do you want me to do afterwards? Follow the Move EmuNAND part of the guide? (Assuming everything above works)
Yes and Yes

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia

Yes, and yes if you are up to that part of the guide (you should be following it in order).

superluccix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you get the coloured screen that means you still have menuhax installed - uninstall it if you can. This means booting into sysnand and changing your theme.

Yes and Yes

So I changed the theme to something else. Then I redid Section I of https://3ds.guide/finalizing-setup I then did Section I of https://3ds.guide/move-emunand . Now Section II involved DSIware games which Im pretty sure I dont have, and it said I could skip this section, so I did. Now Section III involves GBA VC Saves, which Im pretty sure I dont have either, and it said I could skip this section as well, so I did.

But now for Section IV the very first step says to Navigate to [E:] EMUNAND TUTORIAL

Where is that located? Because from where I left off at the very end of Section I of https://3ds.guide/move-emunand to Section IV's first step. I dont see how Im supposed to get there.

I was looking over at the Section II of https://3ds.guide/move-emunand even though I dont have DSIware games just to check if I could even do that and its very first step is to hold START while booting to launch something called "Luma3DS Chainloader menu" Now when I attempt to do that, nothing happens except for booting into sysNAND like normal.

Now I know I dont need to do Section II of https://3ds.guide/move-emunand but if I couldnt even get into that, I wonder if Im supposed to be using sorta the same method to be able to attempt Section IV of the same guide.

What should I do?

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So I changed the theme to something else. Then I redid Section I of https://3ds.guide/finalizing-setup I then did Section I of https://3ds.guide/move-emunand . Now Section II involved DSIware games which Im pretty sure I dont have, and it said I could skip this section, so I did. Now Section III involves GBA VC Saves, which Im pretty sure I dont have either, and it said I could skip this section as well, so I did.

But now for Section IV the very first step says to Navigate to [E:] EMUNAND TUTORIAL

Where is that located? Because from where I left off at the very end of Section I of https://3ds.guide/move-emunand to Section IV's first step. I dont see how Im supposed to get there.

I was looking over at the Section II of https://3ds.guide/move-emunand even though I dont have DSIware games just to check if I could even do that and its very first step is to hold START while booting to launch something called "Luma3DS Chainloader menu" Now when I attempt to do that, nothing happens except for booting into sysNAND like normal.

Now I know I dont need to do Section II of https://3ds.guide/move-emunand but if I couldnt even get into that, I wonder if Im supposed to be using sorta the same method to be able to attempt Section IV of the same guide.

What should I do?
Do you have GodMode9.firm in /luma/payloads folder on your sd?

Reactions: Quantumcat

Izeman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy

Izeman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Hmmm.. I'm encountering some issues with JKSM.
I tried to run it for the first time on my CWF o3DS. I have Luma 8.1 installed, so HBL runs off Rosalina. When launching JKSM, a message from Rosalina shows up saying that using this homebrew exploit I can't run applications in specific titles and I have to use a different exploit.
Can someone please translate that into something I can understand?

Izeman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Hmmm.. It seems I'm having issues with installing the oot3dhax on the game card too.
Just running the installer (part of the homebrew starter kit) under Rosalina seems to give a similar error to the one given by JKSM: it seems that running oot3dhax_installer from HBL installed as CIA on CFW is not supported.
What am I missing?

Codify

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi, been a few years since I last looked at the 3DS scene and things have moved on so much, I feel lost.

I have a Gateway 3DS card (just updated to Omega 4.2 beta), an old-style 3DS with sysNAND of 4.1.0 and emuNAND of 9.8.0
I can easily boot into gateway mode by going to system settings>other settings>profile>nintendo DS profile without needing any other hacks etc, and can play .3ds files
I was happy with this

What would be the advantages of using Luma3DS and what would be the best way to go about upgrading to that from my current setup (the other guides seem to assume I will be on a higher sysNAND firmware etc)?
Will I be able to use .cia files afterwards and can I still play with the savefiles from my Gateway .3ds games?

Thanks a lot

Izeman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, been a few years since I last looked at the 3DS scene and things have moved on so much, I feel lost.

I have a Gateway 3DS card (just updated to Omega 4.2 beta), an old-style 3DS with sysNAND of 4.1.0 and emuNAND of 9.8.0
I can easily boot into gateway mode by going to system settings>other settings>profile>nintendo DS profile without needing any other hacks etc, and can play .3ds files
I was happy with this

What would be the advantages of using Luma3DS and what would be the best way to go about upgrading to that from my current setup (the other guides seem to assume I will be on a higher sysNAND firmware etc)?
Will I be able to use .cia files afterwards and can I still play with the savefiles from my Gateway .3ds games?

Thanks a lot
I don't know much about GateWay, but for what concerns save data, there's a tool to convert GateWay games save file to a format that can be used with CIA format games.
Other than that, I don't know much, sorry.

superluccix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I believe I have successfully completed the guide. But just have a question about the very bottom of Section VII of https://3ds.guide/finalizing-setup

It says to "Remove any extra files and folders from the root of your SD card that are not in the following image. If you have it, leave the DCIM folder as this contains any pictures taken with the 3DS camera"

Now since I had a bunch of stuff from 1 year ago, like with games and stuff, I dont know how many things on the root of my SD card I should delete in order to make the root of my SD card look like the image in that picture

If anybody could figure out what I should delete here Id appreciate it

Attachments

• 1st picture of SD card to figure out what to delete.png
    1st picture of SD card to figure out what to delete.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 2nd picture of SD card to figure out what to delete.png
    2nd picture of SD card to figure out what to delete.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 98

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
So I believe I have successfully completed the guide. But just have a question about the very bottom of Section VII of https://3ds.guide/finalizing-setup

It says to "Remove any extra files and folders from the root of your SD card that are not in the following image. If you have it, leave the DCIM folder as this contains any pictures taken with the 3DS camera"

Now since I had a bunch of stuff from 1 year ago, like with games and stuff, I dont know how many things on the root of my SD card I should delete in order to make the root of my SD card look like the image in that picture

If anybody could figure out what I should delete here Id appreciate it
You only need boot.firm (for booting), luma (for payloads and config), Nintendo 3DS (for installed games) and anything else it mentions. You don't need 99.9% of what you have.

superluccix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You only need boot.firm (for booting), luma (for payloads and config), Nintendo 3DS (for installed games) and anything else it mentions. You don't need 99.9% of what you have.

So I think before I did this guide, a year ago the way I put CIA's would be on the root of the SD card. So is the way Im supposed to do it now after this guide is just to put them in the 3DS folder? Do I need to put them into a subfolder of the 3DS folder? Like FBI perhaps?

Trying to trim down on uneeded files and I just want to be careful

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
So I think before I did this guide, a year ago the way I put CIA's would be on the root of the SD card. So is the way Im supposed to do it now after this guide is just to put them in the 3DS folder? Do I need to put them into a subfolder of the 3DS folder? Like FBI perhaps?

Trying to trim down on uneeded files and I just want to be careful
After you have installed a cia you no longer need it (the installed game ends up in the Nintendo 3DS folder). The cias on your SD card are just taking up space.

Izeman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Hmmm.. It seems I'm having issues with installing the oot3dhax on the game card too.
Just running the installer (part of the homebrew starter kit) under Rosalina seems to give a similar error to the one given by JKSM: it seems that running oot3dhax_installer from HBL installed as CIA on CFW is not supported.
What am I missing?
Really?? No one?? I can’t run either oot3dhax nor JKSM from Homebrew Launcher on Luma3DS 8.1. They say running from that title (HBL CIA) is not supported. Even if I set HB on a different title with Rosalina, it still doesn’t work.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Really?? No one?? I can’t run either oot3dhax nor JKSM from Homebrew Launcher on Luma3DS 8.1. They say running from that title (HBL CIA) is not supported. Even if I set HB on a different title with Rosalina, it still doesn’t work.
I remember seeing something that said the OoThax installer does not work on later firmwares. Maybe that was without CFW, I'm not sure.

Izeman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Well, I have CFW and latest firmware. oothax should work on 11.4 and I plan on using it on a n3DSXL with OFW 11.4 indeed. But to install the hax on the game card I’m using an o3DS with CFW installed and FW 11.5. The oot3dhax installer should be already inside the Homebrew starter kit, which I have. But if I run that installer from HBL, it starts and gives error 0000002, which basically means that installer cannot run under that title. Since I have Luma, the title is HBL, I’m launching Homebrew from the CIA (it’s running off Rosalina. Maybe oot3dhax_installer doesn’t work from Rosalina).
I also tried downloading the oot3dhax_installer from its resource page and it comes with a few more files than the one inside the Homebrew starter kit: there are two save files and there’s the oot3dhax_installer.3dsx file, which is not present in the HB starter kit package. I’m assuming the two installers are launched in different ways. Anyway, if I try to run the installer from this package, using the 3dsx file, Rosalina pop up shows up (just like when trying to launch JKSM from Homebrew) which says that that Homebrew software does not support being launched from specific titles (again, I’m assuming it means that somehow Rosalina can’t run them).

So my two questions are:
1. How do I run Homebrew software which seems not being supported by HBL running off Rosalina?
2. Why the hell put them inside a Homebrew starter kit that’s supposed to work after installing boot9strap and Luma3DS if they don’t run from Rosalina?

I can run FBI from Rosalina, mGBA, MHGen save manager, MHX Data Manager, prboom...They all work. JKSM (from the Homebrew launcher) and oothax installer don’t.
???

Last edited by Izeman,

Izeman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Ok. I did some research on how those .3dsx homebrew files work.
It appears they have a matching .smdh file (which I don't know what it's for, yet) and an .xml file.
The .xml contains things like where to get the icon to show in Homebrew Launcher and a section indicated by <target></target> which, if I understand correctly, tells the executable (the .3dsx file) what game/app to look for.
But a far as I can see, the .xml files in the homebrew starter kit are all messed up.
A) sploit_installer_oot3dhax.xml contains the 6 possible target title IDs, corresponding to Ocarina of Time 3D JPN, USA and EUR, both in digital (mediatype=1) and physical (mediatype=2) form. BUT sploit_installer_oot3dhax.smdh seems to be just a shortcut; when you launch it from the homebrew launcher, it's SD:\3DS\Install\Install.3dsx the executable that gets launched
B) Install.3dsx has a corresponding Install.xml file in its folder. Inside it, the only titles listed in the <target> section are Ironfall: Invasion USA and EUR version.

Question number 1: is it possible that, when I run the oot3dhax installer from HBL, since it's Install.3dsx which actually gets launched with no additional arguments, that the installer is looking for Ironfall: Invasion and it fails because I don't have the game installed? Shouldn't it look for Ocarina of Time since it should use sploit_installer_oot3dhax.xml to run? But how can Install.3dsx use that file if it has a matching Install.xml which is telling the executable to look for totally different titles?

C) If I look at Ironhax.xml, it says it's a shortcut to Install.3dsx too, but this time some arguments are passed; the even stranger thing is that inside Ironhax.xml, the target titles listed are all and only eShop IDs, for USA, JPN, KOR, TWN and EUR!

Question number 2: How could all this even work? Every exploit seems to call Install.3dsx as the executable. Each exploit has a corresponding .xml file containing the target titles ID, but apart from the oot3dhax .xml file (which actually lists Ocarina of Time 3D IDs), the Ironhax .xml file contains eShop title IDs, Install.xml contains Ironfall: Invasion IDs. I can't understand which .xml file is used when Install.3dsx is launched by a shortcut. If it always uses Install.xml, it will ALWAYS look for Ironfall: Invasion, so I don't understand how can Ocarina of Time save file be injected, if it's looking for a different game. If it's the exploit's .xml file that's used to determine the target title to "patch", why does Ironhax.xml contains only eShop IDs??

Can't see the right pattern here. Something seems to be badly messed up. As it stands, it can't work right. And guess what? It's not working indeed!

Can someone please shed some light?

EDIT: It appears I didn't read carefully. To install Ironhax, it's actually hans.3ds that gets launched and its matching .xml file only tells the target Title is selectable (by default ll <targets> sections list the title IDs as not selectable; the executable should automatically determine which one is installed/inserted). But then again, since Ironhax.xml file lists only eShop IDs, how can Hans.3dsx let you select which Ironfall:Invasion title to patch? Ironfall:Invasion title IDs are listed in Install.3dsx, which is NOT launched when selecting "ironhax installer" from HBL (Hans.3dsx is launched, as said before). Still thinking the xml files got messed up here...

Last edited by Izeman,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end