Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I just finished re-hacking my N3DSXL using https://3ds.guide/.

A few n00b questions:
1. Is it correct that I can just update the system (for online use and such) even though it's running "Sysnand" without any worries? (Says Ver. 9.2.0-20E @ Settings menu)

2. Installing a really big cia using FBI is going painfully slow at times (68,63 KiB/s). My SD card is a 128GB San Disk Ultra Micro SDXC. Should this be the case for some reason?. It did get up to a more expected speed again (1-1.5 MB/s or something like that) after a while, but I thought this was very strange.

3. Anywhere else I can read a bit more in-depth about how this CFW setup works?

4. A certain PKMN Moon hangs on black "Nintendo 3DS" screen forever (forced power off by holding power button for 9 sec required). (This might be because the system is still on 9.2.0-20E because I'm not sure if it's safe to update yet.)
1. You haven't finished the guide yet obviously. This is step 7 of section IV:
Update your 3DS by going to System Settings, then “Other Settings”, then going all the way to the right and using “System Update”
  • Updates while using A9LH + Luma (what you have) are safe, stop asking about it
2. Not sure if that speed is normal but you should test your card with H2testw. Also, it's easier to use freeShop for installing games. You only need to use FBI if the game isn't available on freeShop.
3. Yifan Lu has a good writeup from memory on his blog http://yifan.lu, and there's also a big thread from when a9lh was first invented, https://gbatemp.net/threads/arm9loader-technical-details-and-discussion.408537/
4. Yes, Pokémon Sun and Moon require at least 11.2. You'll need to update.

Reactions: Adrian DX

Adrian DX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
1. You haven't finished the guide yet obviously. This is step 7 of section IV:
2. Not sure if that speed is normal but you should test your card with H2testw. Also, it's easier to use freeShop for installing games. You only need to use FBI if the game isn't available on freeShop.
3. Yifan Lu has a good writeup from memory on his blog http://yifan.lu, and there's also a big thread from when a9lh was first invented, https://gbatemp.net/threads/arm9loader-technical-details-and-discussion.408537/
4. Yes, Pokémon Sun and Moon require at least 11.2. You'll need to update.
1. Hah. I actually managed to skip the update step. Probably due to the whole "If your backup was of a version between 3.0.0 and 4.5.0..." part. So I can just run an update now then? As far as I understand, I am runnning A9LH+Luma (Console has FBI, BL, Luma updater and some games and other HB installed, it starts Hourglass9 if I hold Start at boot, It starts Luma3DS v6.6 if I hold Select at boot. I have done every step in the guide except from the update part you mentioned.

3. Thanks but that was at a bit lower level than I was thinking of. I wanna know why we don't need emuNAND anymore and how I know when it's safe to run an update. For example do I still need to be using DNS server settings?. Last time my 3DS was working properly hacked it auto-booted to HBL then I needed to start Luma3DS to enter EmuNAND and from there everything was pretty straight forward. Update as long as settings says EmuNAND and such.

Thanks for your replies. Getting a little bit wiser every post :P

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
You don't need emunand because a9lh can't be broken by updates. It's usually safe to update, but just to be sure, when a new update is released, check a few threads here to be sure that update hasn't broken anything. Even if Nintendo manages to mess with our a9lh systems, we can always boot to Hourglass9 and restore a nand backup.

Reactions: Adrian DX

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
1. Hah. I actually managed to skip the update step. Probably due to the whole "If your backup was of a version between 3.0.0 and 4.5.0..." part. So I can just run an update now then? As far as I understand, I am runnning A9LH+Luma (Console has FBI, BL, Luma updater and some games and other HB installed, it starts Hourglass9 if I hold Start at boot, It starts Luma3DS v6.6 if I hold Select at boot. I have done every step in the guide except from the update part you mentioned.

3. Thanks but that was at a bit lower level than I was thinking of. I wanna know why we don't need emuNAND anymore and how I know when it's safe to run an update. For example do I still need to be using DNS server settings?. Last time my 3DS was working properly hacked it auto-booted to HBL then I needed to start Luma3DS to enter EmuNAND and from there everything was pretty straight forward. Update as long as settings says EmuNAND and such.

Thanks for your replies. Getting a little bit wiser every post :P
The reason we used to need an emuNAND was because hax only worked on certain firmware versions, so if you updated you couldn't run CFW anymore. So emuNAND was invented as a way to keep our real systems exploitable but still be able to play the latest games and use online features. However, with a9lh, once installed ALL versions are exploitable. So we don't need emuNAND anymore, since we can update our real systems and keep CFW.

Adrian DX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm having big trouble updating above 9.2.0-20E.

I have checked (and deleted, and re-added) my internet connection settings, I've tried following the 9.2.0-ctrtransfer portion of the guide (though being at 9.2.0 technically isn't being below 9.2.0) and with no luck. Updates still fail. Any ideas?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'm having big trouble updating above 9.2.0-20E.

I have checked (and deleted, and re-added) my internet connection settings, I've tried following the 9.2.0-ctrtransfer portion of the guide (though being at 9.2.0 technically isn't being below 9.2.0) and with no luck. Updates still fail. Any ideas?
In what way does it fail? Try hotspotting from your phone and also leaving it in sleep mode connected to the internet overnight, so it has a good long chance to download the update.

Adrian DX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
In what way does it fail? Try hotspotting from your phone and also leaving it in sleep mode connected to the internet overnight, so it has a good long chance to download the update.
The progress bar shows a little progres (5-10%) and then the error message: "An error has occurred. Unable to update. The system will now be restarted" pops up on the bottom screen. Clicking OK restarts to system menu.

I tried hotspotting like you suggestion, same error. I even tried formatting memory. Didn't help.
I'm on a 500/100 Mbit internet line, so it should in theory be able to grab the update pretty quickly. But I'll try leaving it in sleep mode anyway.
I'm pretty sure the DS already has the latest firmware downloaded in there somewhere anyway because I disabled the DNS settings when tubehax went down. and it has been giving the update prompt every time it's started for the first time that day (I think).

Time will show. Open for more suggestions if anyone have any :)

And again, thanks Quantumcat :)

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
The progress bar shows a little progres (5-10%) and then the error message: "An error has occurred. Unable to update. The system will now be restarted" pops up on the bottom screen. Clicking OK restarts to system menu.

I tried hotspotting like you suggestion, same error. I even tried formatting memory. Didn't help.
I'm on a 500/100 Mbit internet line, so it should in theory be able to grab the update pretty quickly. But I'll try leaving it in sleep mode anyway.
I'm pretty sure the DS already has the latest firmware downloaded in there somewhere anyway because I disabled the DNS settings when tubehax went down. and it has been giving the update prompt every time it's started for the first time that day (I think).

Time will show. Open for more suggestions if anyone have any :)

And again, thanks Quantumcat :)
That's weird, yeah getting an update prompt usually means it has downloaded it already. So it shouldn't be trying to download it. Maybe try deleting the already downloaded update (hold L, R, up, and A on boot, then quit out of the screen you get) then try updating again (or leave it in sleep mode again). Maybe the update that was downloaded was corrupted in some way.

Waygeek

Trophies
XP
I left a N3DS with a friend years ago, hasnt even been turned on, thinking about getting CFW and all that goodness running on it. What firmware would it have to be or does it not matter? Would I need a special cart? Looks there has been sweet advancements in the 3DS CFW scene (video capture!!!!!), hoping to dive in.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I left a N3DS with a friend years ago, hasnt even been turned on, thinking about getting CFW and all that goodness running on it. What firmware would it have to be or does it not matter? Would I need a special cart? Looks there has been sweet advancements in the 3DS CFW scene (video capture!!!!!), hoping to dive in.
Any firmware that is <11.3. Follow this guide to a T to set up CFW.

Last edited by KunoichiZ,

Waygeek

Trophies
XP
I left a N3DS with a friend years ago, hasnt even been turned on in that time, thinking about getting CFW and all that goodness running on it. What firmware would it have to be or does it not matter? Would I need a special cart? Looks there has been sweet advancements in the 3DS CFW scene (video capture!!!!!), hoping to dive in.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I left a N3DS with a friend years ago, hasnt even been turned on in that time, thinking about getting CFW and all that goodness running on it. What firmware would it have to be or does it not matter? Would I need a special cart? Looks there has been sweet advancements in the 3DS CFW scene (video capture!!!!!), hoping to dive in.
Any firmware that is <11.3. Follow this guide to a T to set up CFW.
Dunno why you posted your same question again when I already answered you. :/

Last edited by KunoichiZ,
Reactions: gnmmarechal

CainhurstKnight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh well, @d0k3 in noob paradise :). My suggestion is not to use the movable.sed to decrypt the stuff in that folder (put the movable.sed into /files9 and use D9 "SD Decryptor/Encryptor"), then use a save manager (JKSM recommended) to restore the saves to a new NAND. You need to reinstall all that stuff, ofc.

There may be better solutions around, so better search for manual transfer tuts.

Thanks a lote @Quantumcat and dok3 and sorry for anything!

---
Caham, now i have another little problem...

My FBI (2.4.8) was taking veeery long to install cia's. DQVIII took almost 8 hours to install ... It started fast, almost 2mb / s and after 40% it changed to 150kb / s.

After seeing a lot of topics with people having the same problem, I decided to test the authenticity of my SDXC Sandisk C10 128GB.
  • I did a full backup of the SD in my notebook
  • Used SD Formatter to full format the SD
  • Used H2testw to write / verify the SD (not having even a single error)
  • Formatted again the SD with SD Formatter
  • Put my backup on the SD

And now 3DS dont turn on. Blue led blinks and nothing happen. Can boot any payload.
arm9loaderhax.bin is in root, luma folder is fine.

What i'm doing wrong?

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks a lote @Quantumcat and dok3 and sorry for anything!

---
Caham, now i have another little problem...

My FBI (2.4.8) was taking veeery long to install cia's. DQVIII took almost 8 hours to install ... It started fast, almost 2mb / s and after 40% it changed to 150kb / s.

After seeing a lot of topics with people having the same problem, I decided to test the authenticity of my SDXC Sandisk C10 128GB.
  • I did a full backup of the SD in my notebook
  • Used SD Formatter to full format the SD
  • Used H2testw to write / verify the SD (not having even a single error)
  • Formatted again the SD with SD Formatter
  • Put my backup on the SD

And now 3DS dont turn on. Blue led blinks and nothing happen. Can boot any payload.
arm9loaderhax.bin is in root, luma folder is fine.

What i'm doing wrong?
did you have EmuNAND?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs