Gaming 3DS Nintendo Video format

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if it's been discussed before, but the Nintendo Video app stores the videos in the SD card, and they seem to be located in
SD:\Nintendo 3DS\0b8ef6742ed57d44d18621aa43ad6206\7e2d00b14760aef4534430320002544d\extdata\00000000\000004aa\00000000
(at least in my card).

there are six files, all 52,016KB, which i think are the actual videos(there are 3 videos in the Nintendo Video app) with an .app extension, but I don't know the file type.
Does anybody know?

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I'm not sure if it's been discussed before, but the Nintendo Video app stores the videos in the SD card, and they seem to be located in
SD:\Nintendo 3DS\0b8ef6742ed57d44d18621aa43ad6206\7e2d00b14760aef4534430320002544d\extdata\00000000\000004aa\00000000
(at least in my card).

there are six files, all 52,016KB, which i think are the actual videos(there are 3 videos in the Nintendo Video app) with an .app extension, but I don't know the file type.
Does anybody know?
Only Nintendo.

It's their own custom proprietary format.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
i know where you're thinking of taking this... if it helps, that Puss in Boots 3D trailer had FotoKem emblazoned on its last frame. seems they did the conversion from 3D format to whatever format the Nintendo Video uses.

also, we'll have better luck once the 3D video recorder app comes. we'll be able to record our own videos, which i doubt will be signed, which hackers and video experts can tinker and tear it apart, pinpointing its format. after a while, when the format has been fully identified and replicated by replacing recorded videos with other content not made by the app, then we can start expecting converters to appear. when that happens, prepare to start converting Bluray 3D rips and putting them on the 3DS.

sweet. my dream comes true then. Avatar 3D, on my 3DS. and 3D cornographic films.

Reactions: 3 people

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i know where you're thinking of taking this... if it helps, that Puss in Boots 3D trailer had FotoKem emblazoned on its last frame. seems they did the conversion from 3D format to whatever format the Nintendo Video uses.

also, we'll have better luck once the 3D video recorder app comes. we'll be able to record our own videos, which i doubt will be signed, which hackers and video experts can tinker and tear it apart, pinpointing its format. after a while, when the format has been fully identified and replicated by replacing recorded videos with other content not made by the app, then we can start expecting converters to appear. when that happens, prepare to start converting Bluray 3D rips and putting them on the 3DS.

sweet. my dream comes true then. Avatar 3D, on my 3DS. and 3D cornographic films.

LOL.....3D cornographin films!

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Only Nintendo.

Not necessarily. However, all the files stored on the SD card are encrypted, so no one could tell.
My shot is they are simply using the old ActImagine/Mobiclip codec as on DS, but with two video streams (one per eye).

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Only Nintendo.

Not necessarily. However, all the files stored on the SD card are encrypted, so no one could tell.
My shot is they are simply using the old ActImagine/Mobiclip codec as on DS, but with two video streams (one per eye).
i'm hoping they're just using downsampled 3D formats, like the ones they use on Bluray (MVC). then it'd be just whatever protection scheme the app gets going on, if it has one.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only Nintendo.

that's what I thought at first, but I'm a noob when it comes to encryption, and only tried with puyotools and the usual Wii formats.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada

Don't give Nintendo any ideas...

Don't give Nintendo any ideas...

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
i'm hoping they're just using downsampled 3D formats, like the ones they use on Bluray (MVC). then it'd be just whatever protection scheme the app gets going on, if it has one.

3DS' hardware is not powerful enough to decode H.264 (AVC) video.

They let you take pics off the 3ds which you can view in 2d, so I didn't see why they wouldn't let you with videos.
It would just be silly not to. :P

Well, it is perfectly possible for Nintendo to encrypt all the videos recorded by 3DS with an assymetric crypt.
So, videos could be shared & viewed by everyone, but recorded only using 3DS, so that no one could create a converter and convert regular movies.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country

well, we'll all know once hackers take a look at the files themselves.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country

Because we know the exact specs of the 3DS, right?

No, but I'm taking an educated guess.
Usually, H.264 is decoded by GPU. Pica200 has no such option out of the box, and has no programmable pixel shaders to implement it.
When it comes to 3DS' CPU, it is mostly likely 2 x ARM11 268 MHz. This is not enough to decode 800x240 H.264 video stream in realtime.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

Because we know the exact specs of the 3DS, right?

Usually, H.264 is decoded by GPU. Pica200 has no such option out of the box, and has no programmable pixel shaders to implement it.
When it comes to 3DS' CPU, it is mostly likely 2 x ARM11 268 MHz. This is not enough to decode 800x240 H.264 video stream in realtime.

A guess is still a guess. Besides, Nintendo loves to do "custom" stuff to their hardware.

celcodioc

Major A$$hole
Trophies
XP
Country

The resolution of the 3DS is 400x240(x2 for 3D). Just sayin'.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards