Hacking 3DS newbie, is this how to get started?

boomerang42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a DS lite, a SupercardDSTwo, and am planning on getting a new (not used) New 3DS XL very soon. It would come with the latest firmware I would guess.

Looking at https://3ds.guide, I would need to get a new flashcart to use homebrew and backups, because I don't have any other 3DS?

Looking at the forum, it seems R4i 3DS RTS or Acekard 2i is what's needed.

If that's all correct, would it matter which one I get? Are there any advantages/disadvantages between the two?

It looks like R4i is just a little bit cheaper, actually ships with packaging (less likely to get damaged in shipping), ships faster, plus comes with a usb reader for micro sd. Is there any reason at all to get an Acecard over that?

No matter which card I'd get, Supercard is still better for non-3DS homebrew and stuff, right? There would be no need to switch everything over to the new card?

Is there even any way to do real time saves and cheat codes with 3DS like you could with a Supercard? I didn't use them that often tbh, but when you did want to use them or needed to save right away to go do something else they were so useful.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
1. They have planned support for Supercard DSTwo
2. The difference is that Acekard 2i does not work on 11.5 so if you want to use it later as flash kart, you are out of luck.
3. Yes, Supercard is one (maybe the one) of the best flashcard
4. I think there is RTS with NTR but I am not sure

Reactions: boomerang42

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have a DS lite, a SupercardDSTwo, and am planning on getting a new (not used) New 3DS XL very soon. It would come with the latest firmware I would guess.

Looking at https://3ds.guide, I would need to get a new flashcart to use homebrew and backups, because I don't have any other 3DS?

Looking at the forum, it seems R4i 3DS RTS or Acekard 2i is what's needed.

If that's all correct, would it matter which one I get? Are there any advantages/disadvantages between the two?

It looks like R4i is just a little bit cheaper, actually ships with packaging (less likely to get damaged in shipping), ships faster, plus comes with a usb reader for micro sd. Is there any reason at all to get an Acecard over that?

No matter which card I'd get, Supercard is still better for non-3DS homebrew and stuff, right? There would be no need to switch everything over to the new card?

Is there even any way to do real time saves and cheat codes with 3DS like you could with a Supercard? I didn't use them that often tbh, but when you did want to use them or needed to save right away to go do something else they were so useful.
There's literally no reason to get the AK2i over the R4i Gold.
AK2i has less features when used as a flashcart.
And it doesn't work on firmwares above 4.3, meaning you will not be able to even boot it up in order to install ntrboot on a console on 4.4+. Once hacked this doesn't matter, because CFW enables it to work again.
R4i Gold works on latest FW so any 3DS can be used to install ntrboot.
The only possible reason I can think of to get the AK2i over the R4i Gold, is that it can still be used as a normal flashcart when ntrboot is installed. But that isn't really an issue, since you can remove ntrboot afterwards by flashing the original FW and be able to use it as a flashcart again.

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Thanks, that clears up R4i vs Acecard very well.

Support is planned for what? To be able to install cfw? Sorry, if that's not what you meant I don't understand what you were trying to say with that.
They are planing to add Supercard DSTwo to be used for CFW instalation. (not it is not supported via NTRBootHax, but they would like to add it) That means, that you can either wait for it to be suported or buy R4i card.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

boomerang42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, so if I just wait for a while I might not even have to get another flashcard? That would be perfect.

If they did add support for that, would there be any risk of the Supercard getting bricked? I'm pretty sure only imitation cards (like r4i knock offs) have had any kind of problems. I just wouldn't want to risk something as good as a Supercard (which couldn't even be replaced anymore) if there was anything risky about it.

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Oh, so if I just wait for a while I might not even have to get another flashcard? That would be perfect.

If they did add support for that, would there be any risk of the Supercard getting bricked? I'm pretty sure only imitation cards (like r4i knock offs) have had any kind of problems. I just wouldn't want to risk something as good as a Supercard (which couldn't even be replaced anymore) if there was anything risky about it.
While (1 day - 1 year :D ) and yes, it can get bricked (but there is little to no probability).

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, that would solve everything. I'm surprised they don't automatically send all new consoles out with the latest firmware.
They do. The thing is most of those consoles were manufactured moths/years ago and sat in a warehouse to be shipped to stores; that or sat in the store for equally as long. IIRC they don't even make 3DS consoles anymore, just the N2DS(XL).

boomerang42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It turns out the Metroid N3DS has 11.4. I guess I'll be waiting for a while to see if Supercard does get supported for installing cfw.

In the meantime, does DSTwo work with 11.4 for DS and stuff? If it didn't the worst thing that could happen is just that it wouldn't boot, right?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
It turns out the Metroid N3DS has 11.4. I guess I'll be waiting for a while to see if Supercard does get supported for installing cfw.

In the meantime, does DSTwo work with 11.4 for DS and stuff? If it didn't the worst thing that could happen is just that it wouldn't boot, right?
DSTwo works on all firmwares.

boomerang42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know how effective protective cases like this are?
https://www.amazon.com/TNP-New-3DS-...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=WX9SRF8KS0JC07W46S8B&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/TNP-New-3DS-...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=WX9SRF8KS0JC07W46S8B&th=1
I dropped my DS Lite sometime and after that the paint was scuffed off some of the corners. I wouldn't want something like that to happen to the 3DS.

Originally I was looking at a soft case by Hori because a soft shell sounded like a fantastic cushion in case of a drop. But I there were multiple reviews saying that taking the case off also took off some of the paint with it.

fenderjaguar

Trophies
XP
Country
The difference is that Acekard 2i does not work on 11.5 so if you want to use it later as flash kart, you are out of luck.

Well I think if he had an acekart 2i, he would just have been able to flash ntrboot with his ds lite, then when he CFW'ed his 3DS, he could just use NTR launcher to launch it within 3DS home menu

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Does anyone know how effective protective cases like this are?
I dropped my DS Lite sometime and after that the paint was scuffed off some of the corners. I wouldn't want something like that to happen to the 3DS.

Originally I was looking at a soft case by Hori because a soft shell sounded like a fantastic cushion in case of a drop. But I there were multiple reviews saying that taking the case off also took off some of the paint with it.
I always use crystal cases on my handhelds. They're effective against scratches, although I wouldn't suggest to lay it on the sand when at the beach, as dust does find its way in underneath the crystal case and if it's something like sand it could scratch the console. It doesn't seem to be scratched from regular dust getting underneath there though, as my X/Y limited edition 3DS XL that has had a crystal case on since day 1 still looks pristine. I've always been really careful with it because of how expensive it was and how much I love the design and I want it to be in mint condition if I eventually decide to sell it one day.

I recently put a crystal case on my n3DS as well, I haven't bothered before as I only had the stock black faceplates on it and they are easily replaceable, but after putting on some new ones I got off eBay I've decided it was about time I got a crystal case for it as those faceplates are rather expensive for two pieces of plastic.

I also have a pouch for the 3DS that I put it in whenever I bring it somewhere, but I don't always have it in the pouch when I'm at home.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.