Hardware 3ds needs 20s to power off completely from DS mode, is it normal?

Amapola62

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
When I finish playing a DS game or a DS flashcart, i press the power button, the power off screen appears, I click on "power off" and the 3ds stays on a black screen with the power led on for roughly 20s until the power led finally switches off...

Is it normal that it takes 20s for my 3ds to power off after playing a DS game? When I play a 3ds game or simply switch on the 3ds, go to the home menu and switch off, the 3ds powers off in 3 seconds...

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It should actually spend more time before displaying that screen (which is part of Home, so it has to reboot in 3DS mode just to show that)...

Anyway, be assured it's not anything inherently dangerous :)

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It also takes this long for me ,so I think this is a normal thing. Maybe mine does not take 20 full seconds but it still takes it sweet time.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i have a similair issue, it takes a weird amount of time to power off.
but what bothers me is if i close the lid before the power goes off, the console appears to freeze, it stay with the light On forever... i need to re-open the lid and press the shutdown for several seconds to force it to poweroff, otherwise the blue light stays on (and with the lid open i can see the screen back light turned on)

(a9lh, luma, 11 fw here)

Last edited by migles,

Amapola62

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
i have a similair issue, it takes a weird amount of time to power off.
but what bothers me is if i close the lid before the power goes off, the console appears to freeze, it stay with the light On forever... i need to re-open the lid and press the shutdown for several seconds to force it to poweroff, otherwise the blue light stays on (and with the lid open i can see the screen back light turned on)

Apparently I had something like that happen to me once, and another time to my brother. I was tired and closed the lid before the 3ds was completly powered off and it stayed in stand by mode all night...-_-' and once my brother told me he also closed the lid and the 3ds stayed on until he decided to switch it off again and wait until the power light is completely off before closing the lid again...

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Apparently I had something like that happen to me once, and another time to my brother. I was tired and closed the lid before the 3ds was completly powered off and it stayed in stand by mode all night...-_-' and once my brother told me he also closed the lid and the 3ds stayed on until he decided to switch it off again and wait until the power light is completely off before closing the lid again...
this is really annoying for me, since i play at late night until my eyes hurt xD
and when i am really really tired i want to go sleep imediatly

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It probably takes around 15s for me. Depends on the game. NSMB DS is very quick but if the game has a lot of 3D models it takes a bit longer (or maybe it's just the placebo effect, idk).

Amapola62

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm probably sligthy exagerating with 20s...it's probably closer to 15...

I power off from Pokemon TCG 2 or a Pokemon crystal hack in GameYob for DS played in a R4 3DS RTS Gold (with wood)...

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
NSMB DS is very quick but if the game has a lot of 3D models
how can a game affect the shutdown?
you just need to cut off the power... the console doesn't write stuff or needs to save stuff to the ds card when shutting down (it's not a windows computer)

Amapola62

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So far : o3ds with A9LH: boot time: roughly 10s (splash screen included)
power off from home menu: 3s (5-6 if you include the time it takes for the screen to appear)
power off after playing a DS game/using a DS flashcart: 15 to 20s

Having fast boot is cool...but I'd also like a fast power off...
The time it takes to power off reminds me of the time it needs to boot into Emunand with Menuhax...

Last edited by Amapola62,

Amapola62

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok : Test: Time until power off screen from Flash cart : 6-7s
Time until complete power off after clicking on "power off" on power off screen: 4-5s

Weird...it seems faster now...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards