Hacking 3DS mode is very toughDo

D

Deleted User

I think what he's trying to say is that it's going to take a while before the 3DS is hacked because it uses multiple encryption algorithms/a really tough encryption. Nothing new from what I can tell, but I don't fully understand it either.

Arisotura

rise of melonism
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
The OP's post doesn't make any sense... but gotta tell him a few things:

* RSA is, from what I heard, only used to sign the programs
* 128bit AES CTR is used to encrypt them
* saves are encrypted with some crappy XOR encryption

Also, no encryption is 100% secure. No CPU I know of can run encrypted code, so the decryption keys have to be stored in plaintext for the code to be decrpyted before it is run... For the exact same reason, the place where the keys are stored has to be accessible by the CPU. So someday the hackers will find out how to dump said keys... and all the encryption and other security will fall apart like a castle made of paper under the rain.

paulguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mega-Mario said:

Also, no encryption is 100% secure. No CPU I know of can run encrypted code, so the decryption keys have to be stored in plaintext for the code to be decrpyted before it is run... For the exact same reason, the place where the keys are stored has to be accessible by the CPU. So someday the hackers will find out how to dump said keys... and all the encryption and other security will fall apart like a castle made of paper under the rain.
The keys you'll get will just be the public keys. At best, you'll be able to decrypt the ROMs but you won't be able to produce any signed code.

rickdgray

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
paulguy said:
Mega-Mario said:

The keys you'll get will just be the public keys. At best, you'll be able to decrypt the ROMs but you won't be able to produce any signed code.
wait what? that cant be unless wii is on a diff encryption system? how else would the homebrew channel be able to successfully run? it has to be signed right?

walk12288

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Svorax said:
paulguy said:
Mega-Mario said:

wait what? that cant be unless wii is on a diff encryption system? how else would the homebrew channel be able to successfully run? it has to be signed right?

Public keys are found through math/exploits. As he stated they would allow for you to decrypt the ROMs as the CPU does at runtime. Private keys (like the ones that $ony didn't protect) allow you to actually sign the code (it would look like Nintendo wrote the program). Bypassing signature requires an exploit that works around the security check first. On some systems, such as the PSP, custom firmware or developer mistakes (1.0) have these checks removed. Without the checks, there is no need to continually bypass them by using exploits....

jwcgator

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Svorax said:

They used an exploit to get it to run, not a private key. We still can't "sign" wii programs to look like they came from nintendo, we can only glitch the signature checking system to make it think that it was signed by nintendo (trucha bug)

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well according to lgc hasnt it already been accomplished? but with extra hardware like a pc and some other interface hardware?
if they have done that and can use it to get the keys or if it can be done with just the 3ds or 3ds and a flashcard or a mod chip
then im sure someone else can figure it out also since ,if they are telling the truth , there being douche bags like certain people on the ps3 scene and not releasing anon

nikkuchan

Trophies
XP
Country
Matyapiro31 said:
I recognized Nintendo 3DS uses RSA BSafe software.
It can 3DS highly and speedy encryption and decryption,in the case of RSA,AES CTR,WPA2 AES,etc.
Almost data we can dump are encrypted and encrypted.
My friend told me 3DS game cart saves has 3 times or over encryption!
There is very very long road to hacking 3DS or play games by NO$3DS...

??????????????????
????????????

Matyapiro31

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
?????????????????
You had better not talk about me.
?????????????????????????????
Any way,no one reports whether exploit available in zelda OOT or not.
Do you have 3DS zelda?Can you restore 3ds saves?
?????????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????
I don't think it rolls fortunately.
custom zelda save

nano351

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so getting into 3ds mode will be quite difficult in order to run homebrew or multirom flash carts. But has anyone looked into the download and play? Probably not useful for homebrew but could be used to run game backups potentially by transmitting from the wii.

solofrags

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
is this the end for us hackers, what Nintendo is to shed our boat? Many already have the first site 3ds Roma, should I wait with hope or linkers should think that this will ever be possible? There is no way to run games from the SD card or something else?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended