Hacking 3DS ****ing bricked, never even use clones.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I really don't see what peoples issues are here. If you have a legit GW brick, then you have a simple choice,

1. Keep it forever and never use it again.
2. Mail it to GW and get it back fixed for FREE.

If on the other hand, it's not a legit GW brick and you send it, then don't pay the return postage and never see it again.

No matter how you look at it, you either get your 3DS fixed FOR FREE, or you are no worse off because currently, your 3DS IS A BRICK.

[edit] Just noticed the OP post count and signup date. Why the hell are people rising to this?

Simmer down on that logical, practical thinking please.
It's early and hysterics still are a key ingredient.
Try stuff like this: Why won't Gateway support/be kind to my crappy r4 card ?

Reactions: Ryft

GregoryRasputin

The PS3 Scenes Most Hated Person
Banned
Trophies
Website
playstationhax.it
XP
Country
read the thing properly ffs it $100 if you try to fool gateway else its just your normal p&p

Try not being so damn naive, are you stupid enough to think that the Gateway team will actually admit to being the cause of the bricks ?
You are dealing with con artists and criminals, they don't give a flying f*ck about you and the bricks they have caused, they will do everything they can to deny causing these bricks, including calling genuine Gateway customers with bricks, liars.

I suggest you burst that bubble you live in.

Axel Killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has the gateway team raped & pillaged your village? sounds like it. If you buy a flashcart at all it's you're fault for using unauthorized materials on the 3DS. Now excuse me while i enjoy my retail carts.
the only thing i use my gateway for is those really good games that i cant get over where i live i have a updated 3ds and a ton of retail carts :D

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has the gateway team raped & pillaged your village? sounds like it. If you buy a flashcart at all it's you're fault for using unauthorized materials on the 3DS. Now excuse me while i enjoy my retail carts.

Anyone who uses one has an inherent risk of ruining their system, that's common knowledge. All GregoryRasputin was saying is Gateway's only out there to make money, they don't give two shits about their customers.

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try not being so damn naive, are you stupid enough to think that the Gateway team will actually admit to being the cause of the bricks ?
You are dealing with con artists and criminals, they don't give a flying f*ck about you and the bricks they have caused, they will do everything they can to deny causing these bricks, including calling genuine Gateway customers with bricks, liars.

I suggest you burst that bubble you live in.

Value of objects being sent in: Broken 3ds - $30, Gateway Card - $80, Sd Card - $10, microSD card - $10. Total: $130

Unless the best case scenario occurs, it is better to sell your 3ds and buy a new one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets assume for the moment that Gateway is completely evil:

Here is what happens:

1) You send 3ds & cart

2) They claim you used a flash cart, and ask for $100

3) You send them $100

4) They disappear with your $100

5) If you used a credit card, tell them what happened and get your money back. (Hopefully)

The above is the worst possible case scenario. You lose your 3ds and cart, and don't lose more than $20 or so in shipping. This actually isn't so bad.

What happened: You lost your broken 3ds and a Flashcart. You also proved Gateway as a company is complete and utter crap. (Useful information for everyone)

Total Value lost: $150 + saved games

This is a terrible amount to lose, but it only needs to happen once to anyone.
This is also only the equivalent of ~6 yards mowed, or ~two days of work at minimum wage.

Your lost value has significantly less effect if you plan to go legit. As an $80 gateway card no longer is in the picture.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now let's assume that Gateway is unable to tell bricks apart or will not fix your system, but will actually return your bricked 3ds for $100:

1) You send in your 3ds & cart

2) They claim you used a flash cart, and ask for $100

3) You send them $100

4) You get your 3ds & Flash cart back.

This is the second-worst case scenario. You lost $100 + ~$20 in shipping, but have won information that Gateway cannot tell clone cart bricks from gateway bricks. However, much of the community will probably still not believe you, because you cannot prove you only used Gateway 100% without a doubt.

What happened: You paid $20 for a chance to have a 3ds unbrick. You found out that Gateway is scum. $100 is less than the total cost of Your 3ds + Gateway card + micro SD + sd together, so purchasing them back was a good call, unless you plan to go legit.

Total Value lost: $120 UNLESS a fix comes out, in which case the lost value drops to $50 (or less)

This is still a lot to lose. However, if you didn't plan on selling your bricked system anyway, the amount lost is a lot less. If a fix comes for these destroyed systems, you will not lose anything.

Again, if you plan to go legit, your lost value has significantly less physiological effect.
Now let's assume that Gateway CAN tell your brick apart from a clone and WILL send you back an unbricked 3ds:

1) You send in your 3ds & cart

2) They realize you got a legitimate brick, and fix your 3ds

3) They send you back your 3ds, and possibly email an apology

4) They consider improving their Gateway checks, and also consider removing brick code

This is the best possible case scenario. You lost $20 in shipping, but got an Unbricked 3ds, found that Gateway is good to their customers, increased the odds of the bricking code being removed, and got great info for the community.

Total Value Gained: $90 + Gateway gets good review + Happy GBAtemp + possible lack of brick code in future + not need to buy new 3ds
Alternatively, buy a new 3ds and sell your broken one. You lose $130-$170.

Looking at this from Gateway's perspective, they probably would value a really good review of themselves over the $130 of stuff they are stealing from you. If they are smart evil people, they will let first person through, have him spread the word (causing more people to send them stuff), and then run with that. However, if they have their reputation on mind and can do what they claim, they would probably fix it for you.

Now, gateway did this stunt in the first place, clairifying that either:

A) They are really bad at having a good public image

B) They are extremely confident in their control over the 3ds, so much that they thought they wouldn't get caught.

Make what you will of this post, but this is my analysis. If you see any errors in it, please point them out and I will fix them.

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Excellent suggestion! But now it looks like I'm double post monologuing... Have we heard anything from apolloooo recently?

Did he get hit by a bus? At what point do we give up on hearing from him again about this issue?

apollooo will you be providing updates on the status of you sending it to Gateway? (if you are in fact doing that)

GeorgeAria

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snapshot_20140117.JPG
I bricked my 3ds a while ago using the region free patch from Normatt. Technically my fault since I didnt listen to the warnings given to me, but I'll go get a new 3ds tomorrow( since so many 4.5 and under consoles exist around my area) instead of sending it to Gateway. I'm not even mad at them tbh. I'll still use the Gateway card that I have after this since I've been using the 2.0b2 update they released and I never had any problems from that. Hopefully someone will create a way to unbrick my now bricked console in the future.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
View attachment 5948
I bricked my 3ds a while ago using the region free patch from Normatt. Technically my fault since I didnt listen to the warnings given to me, but I'll go get a new 3ds tomorrow( since so many 4.5 and under consoles exist around my area) instead of sending it to Gateway. I'm not even mad at them tbh. I'll still use the Gateway card that I have after this since I've been using the 2.0b2 update they released and I never had any problems from that. Hopefully someone will create a way to unbrick my now bricked console in the future.

I know nothing about reprogramming storage devices such a NAND memory, but I want to believe that it is possible to copy the code of a functional one and reinsert this code in the controller of a bricked console. The problem is that maybe there are some rules to follow here as clock speed or something technical that may not be known (I'm just guessing).

GeorgeAria

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know nothing about reprogramming storage devices such a NAND memory, but I want to believe that it is possible to copy the code of a functional one and reinsert this code in the controller of a bricked console. The problem is that maybe there are some rules to follow here as clock speed or something technical that may not be known (I'm just guessing).
Well I guess, but for now I'll be fine with the 3ds I'm going to get tomorrow. Really it would be nice to have my 3ds up and running again instead of spending more money on a new one, but for now its not too big of an issue for me.

apollooo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent suggestion! But now it looks like I'm double post monologuing... Have we heard anything from apolloooo recently?

Did he get hit by a bus? At what point do we give up on hearing from him again about this issue?

apollooo will you be providing updates on the status of you sending it to Gateway? (if you are in fact doing that)
yes. i was just busy yesterday and haven't checked on this topic. gateway sent me email the exact same post that they say they'll replace / repair any bricked console as long as i never use clones, which i didn't.

right now i'm contacting my seller to get this straight.

i'll keep updating whenever i can :)

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Great. Keep us up to date. Be sure to document the entire process well. Take photos of your shipping slip etc, ask your reseller for a provable verification that you have sent it to them, etc.

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes. i was just busy yesterday and haven't checked on this topic. gateway sent me email the exact same post that they say they'll replace / repair any bricked console as long as i never use clones, which i didn't.

right now i'm contacting my seller to get this straight.

i'll keep updating whenever i can :)
Thanks apollooo, it will be good to see how well Gateway deals with this. I have a bad feeling about this whole situation, and there was a reason besides my anti-piracy beliefs not to get this card, and I had a feeling crap like this would happen. I'm just sad people are getting caught up in this crap :/

It would be nice if people would stop arguing, we haven't even seen how well gateway will deal with their customers.

samljer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it's that shiny holo-sticker on the right side of the card. the light doesn't quite reflect well on that.

2.02b

this is where i put my gateway launcher.dat
http://i.imgur.com/EynPYkB.png

i downloaded it LEGIT from the gateway site.

Could you do that again with the launcher on the SDCARD

bad sectors coulda caused corruption, among other things. why scan the original, scan whats in your 3DS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: