OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia

If you haven't been following the 3DS scene over the past few weeks you may have missed out on the release of the 1st 3DS-mode homebrew. Yes, that is correct, a new era of homebrew and development is upon us. The method for executing homebrew code requires a ROP (Return Oriented Programming) exploit. Once the exploit is installed, from any 3DS compatible DS-Mode flash kit, a homebrew compiled Launcher.dat can be executed via familiar methods. The exploit requires 3DS firmware 4.1-4.5.

The ROPLoader by Fierce Waffle does not require encryption and it frees us from the malicious tyranny of the Gateway team. A recent build script by Kane49 allows coders to compile C code. While things are moving slowly, they are progressing in a positive direction.

GBAtemp user aliak11 has started a thread related to 3DS homebrew. If you wish to directly discuss homebrew, coding, development, etc, then navigate on over to that thread. Please help to keep it on-topic by posting your rants, concerns, issues, or questions as replies to this news post.

Here is hoping for a glasses free Virtual Boy emulator!

:arrow: 3DS Homebrew Development Thread
:arrow: Pong 3D Homebrew
:arrow: Tetris 3DS Homebrew
:arrow: 3DS Toolkit

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this still limited to firmware 4.1 - 4.5?

I would assume so, the trouble is another exploit would likely need to be found; failing that, CFW or a downgrade method would need to be found. Nevertheless, this is one helluva breakthrough and people no longer have to adhere to the dubious methods of the infamous Gateway :P That's the important bit, people can actually safely (than the GW anyway) load unsigned code.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
You mean r4i and his brothers, right?

I mean any 3DS compatible DS-Mode Flash Kit. Not 3DS-Mode Flash Kits like the gateway, orange, r4i link, mt.

Is this still limited to firmware 4.1 - 4.5?

correct. edited the 1st post to reflect that.

-another world

Reactions: Reploid

youed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean any 3DS compatible DS-Mode Flash Kit. Not 3DS-Mode Flash Kits like the gateway, orange, r4i link, mt.

correct. edited the 1st post to reflect that.

-another world
Damn, guess I'll have to wait for a downgrade or exploit for 5 and up. What's the probability of that?

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
" from any 3DS compatible DS-Mode flash kit, a homebrew compiled Launcher.dat can be executed via familiar methods."

could this be a brick risk?

and could someone explain a little more?
so we would need to have 1 launcher.dat on the sd to use GW or another flashcard ,and then have to remove the SD and write another launcher to the SD to use homebrew?
would it be possible to have 1 launcher.dat ? or would they need to be compiled together , and if so then compiling a unified launcher with GW could be a problem if using 2.0b2 + fw

im guessing you can only have 1 launcher.dat on the SD root at a time, so then we would have to take out the SD card and write a different launcher ,1 to use homebrew and 1 to use the flashcard fw features

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
" from any 3DS compatible DS-Mode flash kit, a homebrew compiled Launcher.dat can be executed via familiar methods."

could this be a brick risk?

what is bricking the 3ds is malicious code gateway has added to their exploit. code designed to brick clones that launch their files. only, its backfiring. none of this code is found the the exploit or launcher.dats being released for homebrew. that isn't to say that someone couldn't just do what gateway did. we may need a dslazy update at some point =P

im guessing you can only have 1 launcher.dat on the SD root at a time, so then we would have to take out the SD card and write a different launcher ,1 to use homebrew and 1 to use the flashcard fw features

yes, only 1 at a time for now. i've already read that users who run the roploader exploit and then launcher.dat homebrews, who also have the gateway exploit installed, are having issues. it seems the two don't play well together. so it may come down to either you pirate roms or you embrace homebrew.

-another world

Reactions: weatMod

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No! He means it requires a DS flash card compatible on the 3DS, example would be the supercard dstwo.

ok yes i just noticed that ,i get it ,you run the installer.nds from a ds mode card , it says you need "a homebrew compiled launcher on your sd card" , so my question is simply this if you want to use a "red card" 3ds mode card , then i assume that this hombrew compiled launcher.dat on the root of the sd card will not be compatible with GW one and vice versa, so you will need to change the launcher.dat on the sd everytime you want to switch between using homebrew and GW or another 3ds mode flashcard, unless there is a single launcher.dat that is compatible with both homebrew and your 3ds mode card ,or unless both files can be on the sd at the same time

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass