3DS Hardmod Error: The Media is Write Protected

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by GC64, Aug 6, 2017.

1. GC64
    OP

GC64 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    So I am hardmodding my old 3DS on stock 11.5 firmware, and I am using the recommended anker USB reader. I read my 3DS nand fine in win32diskimager, but when I go to write the modded nand, it gives me this error:
    jjcjc.png
    What did I do wrong? I'm using the recommended usb reader, and I could read the nand fine, so why can't I write it?

2. iAqua

iAqua Shadow of Dark.

GBAtemp Patron
    iAqua is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada
    is the micro sd reader in lock?

3. Shadowehh

Shadowehh Also known as Shadd

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    Jeff The Killer's Bathroom
    When you have reassembled the SD card to work with your hardmod wiring, make sure that you placed the write protection switch back correctly and make sure it isn't slid down (because that is was causes write errors due to write protection).

4. GC64
    OP

GC64 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    I had the bottom half of the adapter's shell with the PCB inside, and I just inserted it like that into the usb adapter; I didn't completely reassemble the card. I tried reassembling the card, but the shell no longer snapped together and the lock was loose. I tried this on 3 different adapters and they all couldn't be reassembled. In other words, I'm inserting the sd card into the usb adapter with no lock at all, because even if I did reassemble the card, the lock would loosely slide down when inserted..

5. Shadowehh

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    You might have broken it, although I can't remember if that happened because you either lost a part, inserted it back wrong or you truly broke it. Maybe try to get another SD card?

6. GC64
    OP

GC64 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    hmm, would it work if I just soldered to the pins on the outside of the card so I wouldn't have to disassemble it?

7. Shadowehh

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    I can't remember how the SD Card Lock switch is set up, but if you can get it to work like it was setup before then go ahead.

8. konsolenumbau.expert

konsolenumbau.expert GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2016
    Germany
    Rieps
    Just put some tape where the Hinch is on the SD card. Or disassemble the reader and short the pins for the lock.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

9. wicksand420

wicksand420 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    I used a sparkjoy micro sd sniffer for this with a micro sd to sd adapter, worked good, also, you have to use admin privileges to dump nand

10. GC64
    OP

GC64 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    So I tried the tape method with both halves of the SD card, but it wouldn't fit in the reader like that without pushing on the tape. What I did was I just used the bottom half of the sd card and put tape over that so it would be able to fit, and to my surprise, it worked! So I was able to successfully write the modded nand to my system and finish the hardmod. Thanks everyone for the help and advice :)

konsolenumbau.expert likes this.
  11. Shadowehh

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    Great news, good luck with your modding!

12. vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb That hardmod guy....

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA
    You don't need admin privileges.