Hardware 3DS game cart randomly stopped working. What could have caused this?

VampireLordAlucard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try using an eraser on the contacts of the cart. No joke.
Um... :blink: Ok, sure. Why not?

Where did you hear this idea, though?

It's just another way to clean the contacts of the cartridge.

I have a feeling this is just a random, 1-in-a-million defective product. I doubt it's anything you did to it.

lithium210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cleaned a friends ds lite contacts with sand paper and tweezers. Light brush up against the contacts and he hasnt had any problems since. Thats IF its even a contact issue.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Try using an eraser on the contacts of the cart. No joke.

Good luck getting an eraser between the teeth of a retail cart.

Doable? Yes.

Pain in the ass? God yes.

Not really. If you have one of those bic click pencils, the erasers fit in there pretty good. You don't want to do it hard or anything, just a soft brush over.

lithium210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cleaned a friends ds lite contacts with sand paper and tweezers.

Sand paper?!!

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me!

Sandpaper thats not too rough or thick. Not sure on the numbers but used black smooth sandpaper, very thin. Also rub gently, dont be rough on the contacts. My friend hasnt had a single problem after. Im used to opening up consoles and cleaning them out so maybe i shouldnt recommend this to anyone.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I cleaned a friends ds lite contacts with sand paper and tweezers.

Sand paper?!!

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me!

Sandpaper thats not too rough or thick. Not sure on the numbers but used black smooth sandpaper, very thin. Also rub gently, dont be rough on the contacts. My friend hasnt had a single problem after. Im used to opening up consoles and cleaning them out so maybe i shouldnt recommend this to anyone.

I'd still advise against this...

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm pretty pissed off. I could've sworn i left the receipt for the game in the case (like with all my other video games), but apparently not, cuz it wasn't there. And Gamestop, despite claiming to me many times that all my orders could be tracked using my powerup card, said they couldn't do it because they "only keep record of the last 5 purchases." Would be nice if they made that clear the last 20 times they told me about their little "feature". :hateit:

Oh well, not a big deal, though... I didn't care for the game that much, and if I ever rebought it, I would prefer the console version anyway.

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well hang on, can you at least check if it works on other 3DS systems? That can really help properly decipher the problem.

If it doesn't, well then, you have a spare cartridge lying around. Get creative! DS carts are loads of fun, especially since they're pretty much indestructible. Try boiling it, then drying it with a blow-dryer. If that doesn't work, I don't know, freeze it in a glass of water and admire the beauty of a game cart stuck in a block of ice. Blend it? Leave it in the microwave.Try running it over with your car if you get insanely bored. I can assure you it shouldn't break. Those these stay in one piece whether you like it or not. :lol:

Reactions: 1 person

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
If it doesn't, well then, you have a spare cartridge lying around. Get creative! DS carts are loads of fun, especially since they're pretty much indestructible. Try boiling it, then drying it with a blow-dryer. If that doesn't work, I don't know, freeze it in a glass of water and admire the beauty of a game cart stuck in a block of ice. Blend it? Leave it in the microwave.Try running it over with your car if you get insanely bored. I can assure you it shouldn't break. Those these stay in one piece whether you like it or not.

...replace the insides with a DSTWO, stick on a new label and post a video on youtube of your new 3DS flashcart. Rename a ROM to NSM3DL, launch it, then cut the video and start again when you've had a chance to actually put the mario cart in: Look it MUST be for the 3DS; it's got the notch on the side of the cart!

Reactions: 2 people

F4T4LxReaPerr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need an answer too. My copy of The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D is doing the same thing. Both that and my Pokémon Y. You are not alone.

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Had this happen to my copy of Pokemon Diamond. It suddenly did not want to be read at all. Took it apart and baked it (reflowing solder) and still not luck. I had the baking trick work on an older ackard 2i....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?