Hacking 3DS Flashcarts - News, Updates, and Support Thread

GolfDude

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a 2012 copyright box doesnt guarantee a 4.5 firmware.. its all about the serial number... a 2012 copyright can have 6.2 pre installed..

3DSjoe

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey there!

I've just bought a brand new cosmo black 3DS last week. It was on clearance for $85 so I didn't think twice about the model, I just bought it. Now I'm wondering if I should keep it or not.

Thing is, I've had a DS Lite in the past (2004-07) with a R4 card and played it a lot. Now I see that things are a lot more complicated using a flashcard with the 3DS.

My question is in two parts:
1. Since not all 3DS games have a 3D mode and since I only intend to play games in 2D mode on my 3DS, is it absolutely necessary that I buy a Gateway or R4 Deluxe to read the 3DS games? Are these two cards necessary only if I wish to use the 3D function or are these the only cards that read 3DS games, period?
3. What happens if you buy a cheaper card, other than Gateway or R4 Deluxe, and load a 3DS game on it? Will it read it only in 2D mode or not read at all?

Thanks for your advice!

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there!

I've just bought a brand new cosmo black 3DS last week. It was on clearance for $85 so I didn't think twice about the model, I just bought it. Now I'm wondering if I should keep it or not.

Thing is, I've had a DS Lite in the past (2004-07) with a R4 card and played it a lot. Now I see that things are a lot more complicated using a flashcard with the 3DS.

My question is in two parts:
1. Since not all 3DS games have a 3D mode and since I only intend to play games in 2D mode on my 3DS, is it absolutely necessary that I buy a Gateway or R4 Deluxe to read the 3DS games? Are these two cards necessary only if I wish to use the 3D function or are these the only cards that read 3DS games, period?
3. What happens if you buy a cheaper card, other than Gateway or R4 Deluxe, and load a 3DS game on it? Will it read it only in 2D mode or not read at all?

Thanks for your advice!

Flashcarts work with 3D fine, they work on firmware 4.1-4.5. Nintendo 2DS come with 5.0 or higher and flashcarts won't work. If you wont to play the newer games and want everything upto date and the most support buy a gateway, if you want some older games to work and barely any support because they're all basically gateway clones buy a different one. I can't stress enough how much you should just buy a gateway, It's more expensive for a reason. Yes it will play the games in 2D also.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
^ I think you're confusing the issue. S/he's not asking if the 3DS flashcarts work on the 2DS. They're asking if 3DS-specific carts are only required in 3D-mode.

A 3DS flashcart (such as Gateway) is required to play 3DS games. Whether they are played in 3D or 2D mode is irrelevant. However, 3DS flashcarts only work with firmware 4.1 to 4.5. These can be quite hard to find in stores, though there are plenty on eBay. You may want to sell your console and rebuy an older firmware console if you want to use flashcarts.

DS flashcarts (which only play regular DS games) work fine on the 3DS, though.

Pox

Trophies
XP
Country
but ebay is a great! place to buy them..i got a 4.3 xl for 99$ usd i cant tell you where to buy a 3ds xl other than ebay..but i can tell you a site to get your gateway =P http://www.dsgamerworld.com great site and is trusted by many users
99USD man?
Thats great, but I guess its only possible in USA. Best deal I could get was from german ebay, for 95Eur. But it was really worn out unit :) Although FW was ok, 4.1. :)

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
99USD man?
Thats great, but I guess its only possible in USA. Best deal I could get was from german ebay, for 95Eur. But it was really worn out unit :) Although FW was ok, 4.1. :)

Just shop around on ebay, I got one from Germany an XL brand new delivered for £120. The person selling them seemed to have about 30 and I managed to talk him down by £20, granted this was in March also when there were probably a few more around, even so. Keep looking.

There's also gumtree, I don't know if thats available in Sweden but thats a local thing no shipping you'd have to collect if there's anyone local.

Pox

Trophies
XP
Country
Nah, I already bought it for the price I mentioned above, I am just saying its not easy task to buy Gateway compatible 3ds xl, if you wanna "kill" the price under 150Eur. Those are mine 2 cents.

alexenochs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, I already bought it for the price I mentioned above, I am just saying its not easy task to buy Gateway compatible 3ds xl, if you wanna "kill" the price under 150Eur. Those are mine 2 cents.

not true.. i got lucky because the guy had an sd card jammed in the slot and didnt mention what version it was on...and actually had it as a BUY IT NOW deal for 99$ usd so i ordered it and pulled the sd card out with a screw driver and flipped it around and put it back in and installed the exploit..the console was in pretty great shape too with just 1 scratch on the top screen

Reactions: Pox

rayword45

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that ssspwn has been confirmed working on 9.x, is there any real purpose of keeping my 3DS on 6.3U? I've been holding out for forever for a flashcart update but fuck Team Gateway and their lying asses

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
Now that ssspwn has been confirmed working on 9.x, is there any real purpose of keeping my 3DS on 6.3U? I've been holding out for forever for a flashcart update but fuck Team Gateway and their lying asses

You could always get the NAND dump/write mod installed, dump your 6.3 and hang onto it in case you ever need a reason to downgrade?

Loque

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Has this 3ds xl firmware 4.x???
image.jpg

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP

You could fix this situation you know? Go to university/college, take a $40,000 and 6 year long degree in computer science. Next, spend years of your own free time developing your reverse engineering skills specifically in consumer electronics hacking and lastly, drop a couple of grand into a chip decap and RAM dumping setup.

Hey presto you have a 0.000000001% chance of finding a kernel vulnerability in the latest firmware on the highly secured game console we know as the Nintendo 3DS :lol:

Reactions: dude1709

rayword45

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could always get the NAND dump/write mod installed, dump your 6.3 and hang onto it in case you ever need a reason to downgrade?

Are you speaking of a softmod? I'm not exactly skilled enough to solder wires on my 3DS nor do I have equipment.

You could fix this situation you know? Go to university/college, take a $40,000 and 6 year long degree in computer science. Next, spend years of your own free time developing your reverse engineering skills specifically in consumer electronics hacking and lastly, drop a couple of grand into a chip decap and RAM dumping setup.

Hey presto you have a 0.000000001% chance of finding a kernel vulnerability in the latest firmware on the highly secured game console we know as the Nintendo 3DS :lol:

Well I'd respect them more if they straight up said "we can't find an exploit" instead of promising a future update for many years with no fruit to show.

I also think they're a rather unscrupulous company overall but whatever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: If you want a good system to port it to, at least have a good programmer and knowledge.