3DS decapping fundraising topic.

Discussion in '3DS - Hacking & Homebrew' started by gshock, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2012

3DS decapping fundraising topic. by gshock at 4:48 AM (126,572 Views / 14 Likes) 768 Comments

gshock New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    Greetings. I'm one of the contributors on 3DBrew, going as JL12 there as well as a variety of other reverse-engineering, haxing and development communities.

I've been participating in the reverse engineering of the 3DS since launch, although there have been leaps and bounds due to the combined efforts of many contributors, I strongly feel much of what we're doing would be expedited by extracting the boot code and other proprietary information (/secretz) from the custom Nintendo (System-On-a-Chip) of a retail 3DS.

WARNING! Spoilers inside!

I got a price quote from a professional lab on the deal (removal, decap, delayer, SEM imaging) and it came out to $400 per layer, which they estimate will come to "about $2000 total". Plus the cost of the 3DS I'd be donating for the hardware sample.

Kicking it around with other 3DBrew contributors I think we all agreed it would be interesting or valuable to us but $2000+ is simply a lot to ask of anyone to drop suddenly on a hobby project.

I suggested a 'donate' thread here on GBATemp to gradually 'fund raise' donations for this purpose.

I feel there are likely other users here on GBATemp that understand what this is about and what the potential value is and may be willing to contribute.

Also $2000+ while a lot for an individual is a very achievable goal for a fund raising.

To reiterate, what we're trying to do is: send in 1 3DS to a professional lab to get delayered and imaged (covering the costs of doing so). The resulting SEM images will be reconstructed and used towards reverse-engineering the 3DS.

We're considering giving contributors a copy of the images produced as thanks.

If you'd like to donate and help contribute to this cause you can do so by donating here.

• Newcomer

Daniel Carville Fantastic.

Message Count:
    Ireland
    That looks dodgy as fuck, I wouldn't trust it personally.
    Yepi69, FireValk01, Joe88 and 4 others like this.

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Message Count:
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    I think something like a raffle would stand a better chance of getting to $2000 (its worked really well on the Wii scene). That's a lot of money and even this site's 'post-devastating-hack-donation-drive' would have trouble meeting a goal like that.

Just an idea, not trying to be critical. :)

Sorta agree (not quite as strongly though)-- could somebody on 3d-brew like elishirer or 3dsGuy verify this?

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Message Count:
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    From following what Byuu's done with decapping for SNES cart chips this does sound a little promising...

But I'm not ready going to toss any money at this (incoming catch-22?), unverified and all that jazz.

gshock New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    Well, it's a donation drive. What is there to trust?

The lab I got the quote from is "Evans Analytical Group". The job ID we have registered ( to get the price quote in the first place ) is E0CGZ472Q1.

I wanted to also add a link to this thread from 3DBrew but asked if somebody else would do it instead ( so it's not just me endorsing myself ). We'll see what happens.

I didn't just create this topic out of nowhere and made sure it was kosher with the other users on 3dbrew. fyi

edit: That actually sounds like a decent idea but what would we offer up for raffle that would be worth it?
    Last edited by gshock, Nov 2, 2012
    • Banned

Zero Belief will always save me

Message Count:
    United States
    Hm, assuming this is legit I'll gladly donate some cash to see this happen. I would love to see the 3DS scene progress.

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Would prob work if you got Neimod to come on this thread....

gshock New Member

Message Count:
    Canada

TheZander Keeping It Real

Message Count:
    United States
    I think the problem it you need to spruce up that donate page. Add a java cursor follower, those always please people. Also a picture of a smiling Monkey that moves around the border of the website. Maybe some midi background music, like Beverly Hills Cop theme is awesome. It's just a little dull and I bet not a lot of people want to donate to a "3DS Decapping Project Fundraiser " page. Also a 14 minute flash intro that you can't skip will really grasp people's attention wiinja did it.

That's my advice, at least and I'm all for you guys with this project it sounds awesome. However my question is how did you get someone to agree to do this? Do they not care about legal implications? Or is it perfectly fine to do whatever you want to your property.

Treeko New Member

Message Count:
    United Arab Emirates
    I'd love to see the 3ds scene progress so I am donating,but I wonder will this really work out,cause it sounds to good.

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Message Count:
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Well now that it's confirmed, I tossed $5 in (can't spare more now).
    zippy1979 and gamefan5 like this.
    • Newcomer

Mike19 New Member

Message Count:
    Australia
    I have a few left over pre-paid debit cards with minuscule amounts of money left on them so I should be able to donate $10 or so (I don't have a proper credit/debit card so I can't spend much without having to buy another pre-paid card).

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Oh guess it is real tyvm.

Edit: Hey lets get this on the front page.
    Last edited by Ericthegreat, Nov 2, 2012
    MegaBassBX likes this.

lismati Speedrunner in practice

Message Count:
    Poland
    I just hope that this gets more love than the Vita DevKit fundraiser...

3DSGuy No longer in scene

Message Count:
    United States
    Good luck. (now I know your GBATemp user name mwahhhaha :evil:). For those of you who care about my opinion, I put faith in Jl12(gshock).
    Last edited by 3DSGuy, Nov 2, 2012

RodrigoDavy AAAHHHHRRRRRRRR!

Message Count:
    Brazil
    I donated $5. I would donate more, if the dollar weren't so expensive nowadays.

Bearpowers New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I'd consider donating a decent chunk of money, such as 50 bucks or so.

But what exactly does this mean, if it is successfully delayered what will that entail for the homebrew community?

Does that mean pretty much guaranteed to run code not approved by Nintendo in the immediate or near future?
    Last edited by Bearpowers, Nov 2, 2012

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Message Count:
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    No, nothing can guarantee that. But this could open up a significant amount of new data about the inner-workings of the 3ds. A successful chip decapping would be a big deal -- worth a $5 risk imo.
    Rydian likes this.

ferret7463 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    just put down 5 myself. Hopefully this is not a hoax, but if it is then i just lost a case of Mt Dew. ;)
    • Newcomer

ShadowSora13 New Member

Message Count:
    Greece
    I suggest this going in the frontpage....
    SuzieJoeBob likes this.

SPONSORED LINKS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.