Hardware 3ds charger "popped" and now won't work

MandL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just purchased a 3ds from The Exchange today (used) and it was working great (it was fully charged when I got it) However when I got home I plugged it into my outlet and let it charge for 5 minutes, which is when I heard a "pop". Looking around my room I noticed that I smelt smoke and started looking around. I then noticed that the 3ds wasn't charging.
It was plugged into a surge protector and that end of it now smells like smoke. Nothing else plugged into the surge protector experienced any sort of malfunction. Is there any way to revive the charger? Or do I just have to return it? (If so I'm going to have to wait till next Saturday)

MandL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I kinda sounded like when you open a can of soda. and the smoke smells very much like burnt popcorn (there's no visible smoke, just the smell).

MandL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what i figured. It's a shame that they use propitiatory cables or else i have 3 micro usb chargers I could use. :/

think it's same to just leave it plugged in? just in case it starts working? (it's unplugged at the moment)

MandL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best bet is to take it back. Pretty sure you can get a different one.
The only problem is that unless they're open sundays I won't be able to go ask for a replacement till next week.
I know: It's a "First World Problem" I'll manage

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It probably short circuited due to a incomplete break somewhere in the wires. I've experienced something very similar to you before with some other charger. So yeah, the charger's pretty much useless now.

MandL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You aren't supposed to be within a room where you can smell the smoke.
it's not that big a deal, after the first few seconds I can only smell it when I put my nose up to it

Maybe you house's sockets are 220v because for what I know Nintendo chargers are only 110v so that could have destroyed the charger but since you still have warranty just ask for a new one.
I doubt it's my home electricity. Nothing seems to be peculiar here, I've never had this happen with any other charger, including my ds lite charger

*snip

It probably short circuited due to a incomplete break somewhere in the wires. I've experienced something very similar to you before with some other charger. So yeah, the charger's pretty much useless now.
Good to know. So it's safe to say that it was a faulty charger and probably wont happen again?

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could of been a faulty charger. If you know someone who has a DsiXL charger, ask if you can use it. Both the DsiXL and the 3DS charger are the same.

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same thing happen on my US charger when I brought it back home (Australia), I had a surge protector too. I ended up just buying one from Ebay which was dual voltage so it works here and will work fine when I go back to the US again.

Or you could get one of those DSi XL/3DS USB chargers. I imagine that would have no issues except maybe a slower charge time depending on what sort of computer/USB port you have

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.