• Views 21,157
  • Replies 101

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nathancnc said:
Yes the PP+ is charged directly, but it the charger is a smart charger, much like the one in the 3ds itself.....thats why it has 3 leads on the bottom instead of 2. AAMOF most chargers will charge the battery to near full, then don't really turn off, they just go down to a small "trickel" charge until it has been removed from a power source.

I can confirm that this is what both the stock 3ds charge port, and PP+ do......along with the DS/DSL/DSi/XL...and every PSP model aswell as PSP Go.

So it most likely was just a short in the PP+ Cradle.....this was an issue with the very first batch, and Nyko will replace it free of charge, just give them a call.

All I know is that my 3DS never seemed to charge well when I used to dock/Charge Base. Light would be green but the battery would be near empty. Happened a number of times. Seeing as I just got my 3DS back (and now have to send it back because the outer shell was damaged during repair), I'm probably just going to stick with the stock battery for awhile. This is the first I've heard of the dock "shorting out". One would think a product recall was in order. This makes Nyko look bad for not informing customers of an issue that can cause damaged to their 3Ds.

Edit: Filled out complaint form on nyko.com. If they don't get back to me by Weds I'll be making some angry phone calls.

PS I still suggest that people charge their PP+ directly though the 3DS if they have an "early" model dock. Even after I get my battery and dock replaced, I'm probably going to do so.

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's came back to life. Mine didn't and just fried my 3DS. I contacted Nyko about it and am going to ask for an entire replacement (battery and charge base). Here's hoping they do. Still a bit worried about it, so might hold off on installing it.

BTW, When you install the battery, if you leave the 3DS plugged in will it prevent that StreetPass issue from creeping up? Issue being it screwed up StreetPass and you have to reformat the 3DS to get it working again.

nathancnc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DO NOT leave the 3DS plugged in during the battery swap!!!

Nintendo addressed this issues a few patches ago, all you have to do is reset the clock and date in the 3DS settings, and you are good to go.

I just installed my PP+ 2 weeks ago, and was able to reconnect with previous people I had streetpassed.

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nathancnc said:
DO NOT leave the 3DS plugged in during the battery swap!!!

Nintendo addressed this issues a few patches ago, all you have to do is reset the clock and date in the 3DS settings, and you are good to go.

I just installed my PP+ 2 weeks ago, and was able to reconnect with previous people I had streetpassed.
Thanks for the heads up. Now all I have to worry about is getting Nintendo to add me back to the ambassador program. Bought my 3DS a week after it came out and the online checker says I didn't buy my system before the price drop.

Sorry for semi-thread jacking.

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nathancnc said:
Sorry, but you had to register your 3DS in the eShop to get into the ambassador's program.
I did. I've bought stuff from the eShop since it first launched. That is why I don't get it. They said all you had to do was go to the eShop before the price drop and I did. I had to redownload all the stuff I bought when I got my 3DS back. How can I not be registered? And yes I got my 10 coins for linking my Club nintendo account with my 3DS.

Anyway going to post this in ambassador thread as it has nothing to do with accessories anymore.

Forget it. When I sent my system in for repair, Nintendo must have swapped it with a new one. If I plug in the serial number on the 3DS box, it says I'm in. >.<

Sorry again for thread jacking. On topic, has anyone tried the OoT shells?

nathancnc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not tried any other shells on my 3DS, but I must say that after I installed my PP+, I could never go back to the stock battery......It lasts longer, and (for me) makes the 3DS much more comfortable.

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nathancnc said:
I have not tried any other shells on my 3DS, but I must say that after I installed my PP+, I could never go back to the stock battery......It lasts longer, and (for me) makes the 3DS much more comfortable.
Same. I'm just scared about shorting out my 3DS again. If Nyko gives me a free replacement, I'll probably give it a try. If they don't, then I won't be going back to them.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
+ Hori Officially Licensed Protective Screen Filter

+ Nyko Power Pak +

Almost gave a negative rating for the Hori Screen Filter due to my manly instinct to not read directions. The top screen, after being applied, looked like it had been completely worn out, and the touchscreen was simply.....blue. I immediately found out that the blue filter was just a protective layer, so the touch screen was just perfect. I didn't think the top was the same because the "4th" tab had come off without an extra layer to go with it. Re-examined the top screen again this morning and was just going to remove the whole filter using tape on the edge. To my excitement, it did have that extra layer, and it is so beautiful right now.

I had a little problem getting the Power Pak + installed in my 3DS. The edge where the tabs are to be inserted has a gap, and I couldn't tighten the screws at all. Took some time before I eventually put a bit more force into putting it together so I could tighten the screws. Now one corner of that edge looks like it is in, but the other side (where the battery connects to the unit) still has a gap. Gonna take it out soon to see if any indents are visible, and just slightly shave those areas if it will help. Again, not reading the instructions, I charged the battery via the cradle, when later, I found out I needed to fully charge the battery first via the 3DS charge port and not the cradle. Not sure how much it will make a difference, but I hope it doesn't affect it negatively.

TLDR - If you are reading this first, then you might ignore directions as well. Read the instructions!

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tigris said:
Guys, kindly stop hijacking this thread and make another.
Ya sorry about that. It started out as a warning to people and got totally off topic.

I just wanted to post that Nyko still hasn't gotten in touch with me yet. At this point, I change my score of PP+ to -1.

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
Lets give this thread a little bump
happy.gif

I would like to +1 the xstylus crayon, mine arrived today and I find them very comfortable to use (though i'm a little worried about snapping them when i rotate them open)

IMG_20110919_222116.jpg

IMG_20110919_222201.jpg

muckers

Trophies
XP
Country
+1 Hori Officially Licensed Protective Screen Filter

Amazing. Quite possibly the best screen protectors I've bought. I'm loving that the top screen protector will also keep the glossy black portion nice and protected. But the application process is fantastic. I can often have trouble applying screen protectors; I've not got a steady hand, and I often don't line things up properly. But I've just applied these perfectly using the funky method they've put in place. I can't see how it can go wrong. Ensures you'll have a straight, level and properly applied screen protector first time.

And no bubbles! Brilliant.

TLDR - If you are reading this first, then you might ignore directions as well. Read the instructions!

I gotta give an amen to that. I'd have messed it up if I hadn't followed the instructions. If you follow to the letter, and do everything carefully it'll look brilliant. There's even a cool little video on Amazon's product page for this. I watched this before the protectors came so I knew about having no gaps between the adhesive tabs and the console, so that the protector is applied properly and in the correct place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Shouldn't preservation be legal tho?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.
    +1
    Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku story.
    +1
    I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade machines are old and busted very few ever saw any sort of home conversion
    We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time or dumped.
    +1
    It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol
    I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why not? The rights for some games are completely lost though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, AI is taking our jobs!
    +1
    Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh