Not open for further replies.

kotaro_14

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently bought a 3DS from a trip to Japan. After, 2 days of use the 3DS light wouldn't turn off (the green 3DS sign that lights up near the 3D switch)
hate2.gif
. I live in America and don't know if I should send it to Nintendo America or Nintendo Japan. Is this under warranty? I can not read Japanese, I am learning but still in the beginning stages. Sorry for all the questions, the manual and warranty is all in Japanese
mellow.gif
, and I'm in Indonesia on vacation and it's relatively hard to get wifi connection over here. Thanks for all your responses and hopefully can check back once I get another wifi connection!

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
The 3D light is there to show the game/software/whatever can output 3D video or images since some parts of games are only in 2D.

There's nothing wrong, it's meant to do that.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
If games/software are 3D capable, the 3D light will be always on, no matter how much you fiddle your slider.

If games/software are only in 2D, then the light will be gone.

That's the purpose.

kotaro_14

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then why didn't it do that the first day. And besides none of the in-store demo models were doing that in Japan or in America too. When the 3D switch was turned off the 3D ight was turned off.
EDIT: Hmm... Ok I will try with a regular DS game when I get back to America which will be sometime in July. I hope you people are right. Thanks for the info. Please don't close this thread. I will update if it works or not. I'm just worried if the light will die out.
ohmy.gif

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kotaro_14 said:
Then why didn't it do that the first day. And besides none of the in-store demo models were doing that in Japan or in America too. When the 3D switch was turned off the 3D ight was turned off.
You weren't paying attention the first day. Also, demo models are demo models... not release models.

Any more inane questions?

Melter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you never want to use 3D and don't want the light on, enable parental controls and set the restriction to not allow 3d images to be displayed. the 3D light will always be off once you do that.

Reactions: Gmrt5

Hazard7

Trophies
XP
Country
You do know about Region locked on your 3DS? You are stuck with playing Japanese game, not American's. No offence but why an idiot like you bought a Japanese 3DS on a trip without knowing about region locked? You have to take that 3DS back and get a American 3DS.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kotaro_14 said:
I recently bought a 3DS from a trip to Japan. After, 2 days of use the 3DS light wouldn't turn off (the green 3DS sign that lights up near the 3D switch)
hate2.gif
. I live in America and don't know if I should send it to Nintendo America or Nintendo Japan. Is this under warranty? I can not read Japanese, I am learning but still in the beginning stages. Sorry for all the questions, the manual and warranty is all in Japanese
mellow.gif
, and I'm in Indonesia on vacation and it's relatively hard to get wifi connection over here. Thanks for all your responses and hopefully can check back once I get another wifi connection!

Good luck with your troubles. I can tell you this ... Nintendo of America won't touch it. Had a GBA-SP some years ago that was bought in Japan that I later tried to make a warranty claim on and they basically told me to go pound sand. Said it was 'gray market.'

As someone else mentioned, with the region lock B.S. it wasn't really a good idea to buy a Japanese 3DS for use in North America. Used to be awesome to get a Japanese market handheld months before it was released elsewhere, but those days are gone.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
There are three instances where the 3d light turns off that I know of. They are:

1.When the game's developer decides to turn it off (ex. SSF IV's intro movie)
2.When the 3DS is playing a DS game.
3.When you disable it in Parental Controls.

It does not turn off when you turn the slider all the way down -- a popular misconception.

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
kotaro_14 said:
I'm just worried if the light will die out.
ohmy.gif
I'm pretty positive the light can't die out...
unsure.gif

Everybody else in this thread is right though... :/ Something you can try now to test the light is go to Download Play. Choose "Nintendo DS" not "Nintendo 3DS." It will go to the old DS/lite download play menu. The green [3D] light should turn off.

kotaro_14

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok thanks I know I am such a n00b. Ehh... I don't care that it's region locked. Doesn't matter to me. But thanks everyone!
/close please

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
...i only recently noticed, but on mine it's constantly on as well. even on 2D pics, where it's supposed to be off, but still lit. now i sort of disregard it, and just look out for the 3D cube on the upper right corner of the top screen that also tells you the same thing.

thela_kid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually, i used to have this same thought. i think it might have been the release firmware, because after i updated i was like "why is the 3d staying on?"

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thela_kid said:
actually, i used to have this same thought. i think it might have been the release firmware, because after i updated i was like "why is the 3d staying on?"

Again, as mentioned before, this isn't new. You just weren't paying attention. I bought my 3DS day 1, and the light is always on when there is 3d content even if you have the 3d slider off.

D

Deleted User

ferofax said:
...i only recently noticed, but on mine it's constantly on as well. even on 2D pics, where it's supposed to be off, but still lit. now i sort of disregard it, and just look out for the 3D cube on the upper right corner of the top screen that also tells you the same thing.
All 2d pics support the 3d mode.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
brandonspikes said:
ferofax said:
All 2d pics support the 3d mode.
...now why would they go and do that? 2d pics =/= 3D content. ergo, somebody up there, a few posts up, was wrong.

bottomline: 3D LED means top screen can go on 3D mode if you slide it up, except on 2D pics both screens will show you the same thing. 3D mode, but pointless on 2D pics.

...i guess that makes sense now.

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
Happened to me actually. The "3D" led would always switch off when I pull the slider all the way down. Now it won't go off after doing the same. This happened "after" I played Ridge Racer. So I guess it is a glitch in the 3DS itself.

No, the firmware has always been the same on my 3DS.

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to bump this but the LED on the hinge (spotpass, notifications etc.) has been on for a week straight and is starting to flicker! I've turned it on and off and ran it flat but it still won't go off! Any ideas?

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do know about Region locked on your 3DS? You are stuck with playing Japanese game, not American's. No offence but why an idiot like you bought a Japanese 3DS on a trip without knowing about region locked? You have to take that 3DS back and get a American 3DS.
No offense but why an idiot like you no english

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: HBD 2U