Homebrew 3DNES - NES Emulator

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't say to put all the shit on the root.

I said don't restrict where you can read from and write to.

It's simple.. Make the emulator only show the user the actual .NES rom, hide the saves.

Now, all filestructures will work, whether it be in /3DNES, /ROMS/NES, on the root, or wherever the hell you want them.

So, you have a .NES rom you want to play. You put it on the SD card. You play.

Now, let's look at how it's currently setup: you put a rom on the SD card. You launch the emulator, you can't find the rom. You rtfm. You make extra folders and move roms around. the saves you already have, well, better sort them out, take them away from your setup and put them in yet another directory you have to setup.

Then st4rk gives up, another dude makes an emulator that's called 2DNES and you have to make more folders and move your shit around.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I didn't say to put all the shit on the root.

I said don't restrict where you can read from and write to.

It's simple.. Make the emulator only show the user the actual .NES rom, hide the saves.

Now, all filestructures will work, whether it be in /3DNES, /ROMS/NES, on the root, or wherever the hell you want them.

So, you have a .NES rom you want to play. You put it on the SD card. You play.

Now, let's look at how it's currently setup: you put a rom on the SD card. You launch the emulator, you can't find the rom. You rtfm. You make extra folders and move roms around. the saves you already have, well, better sort them out, take them away from your setup and put them in yet another directory you have to setup.

Then st4rk gives up, another dude makes an emulator that's called 2DNES and you have to make more folders and move your shit around.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean, but it seems you're suggesting that the emulator scan all folders and subfolders for the ROMs, which can also include duplicates in separate folders? I'm sorry, but that's a terrible idea.

Reactions: Margen67

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I'm suggesting that it reverts to the original method of rom selection. The user navigates to the rom through their own filesystem.

The issue with st4rk's original setup is that it would also show the .savs for the roms and would make it confusing for the user to select the proper file to launch.

All I'm suggesting is for the rom selection to hide the .sav files (and all other unsupported filetypes) to avoid confusion, and allow the user to put their roms and saves in any directory they choose, then navigate to the roms using the file browser in the emulator.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
No, I'm suggesting that it reverts to the original method of rom selection. The user navigates to the rom through their own filesystem.

The issue with st4rk's original setup is that it would also show the .savs for the roms and would make it confusing for the user to select the proper file to launch.

All I'm suggesting is for the rom selection to hide the .sav files to avoid confusion, and allow the user to put their roms and saves in any directory they choose, then navigate to the roms using the file browser in the emulator.

Ok, I understand you. So like what emulators such as ZSNES do (and perhaps save the last folder a game was loaded from for the next time you launch the program so you won't have to go navigating though the folders again).

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly.

See it gets really bad when you have a multitude of different emulators.. In fact, like Tybus was worried about, it starts to really clutter up the root when you have just a few emulators or homebrew programs that require their own specific directories. Simplifying it by letting the user navigate and select the titles would be a much better setup.

If you're like me, you probably have a collection of retro roms already stored somewhere. It's really easy to just take that folder and toss it say on an android device, where most all emulators will let you select your own rom directory, then grab a slew of different emulators and start jamming.. When you have to setup different folders for each emulator it just sucks dicks. And then you want to move your collection to another operating system or console, like the Wii (god help you) and the headache intensifies.

If I can stop that here I'm gonna try and suggest it..

Maybe it took you some work st4rk to setup your directories or whatever, but please god hear me and make those the default directories and let the user navigate to all parts of the SD card in the event they didn't rtfm. Please also don't make the saves save in a separate directory, it's just more proprietary setup, but if you insist I guess one extra dir on the SD card for your emu is excusable :)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
How about trying to make a standard setup like storing any extra files in /3ds/homebrew/*app name*/

I do agree is good when things are organised I don't like what a mess the file directory on android gets, it would be nice to know where everything is and what program it's for

Tybus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Exactly.

See it gets really bad when you have a multitude of different emulators.. In fact, like Tybus was worried about, it starts to really clutter up the root when you have just a few emulators or homebrew programs that require their own specific directories. Simplifying it by letting the user navigate and select the titles would be a much better setup.

If you're like me, you probably have a collection of retro roms already stored somewhere. It's really easy to just take that folder and toss it say on an android device, where most all emulators will let you select your own rom directory, then grab a slew of different emulators and start jamming.. When you have to setup different folders for each emulator it just sucks dicks. And then you want to move your collection to another operating system or console, like the Wii (god help you) and the headache intensifies.

Maybe it took you some work st4rk to setup your directories or whatever, but please god hear me and make those the default directories and let the user navigate to all parts of the SD card in the event they didn't rtfm. Please also don't make the saves save in a separate directory, it's just more proprietary setup, but if you insist I guess one extra dir on the SD card for your emu is excusable :)
As soon as the source is released (St4rk said he will release it eventually) you can make all the changes you want... Btw... I suppose he made it that way because it was the easiest way to only show .nes files.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm the one who suggested two separated folders for roms and saves.
But I understand your concern.

Maybe instead of /3DNES/ROMS/ and /3DNES/SAVES/
change it to :
/ROMS/NES/
/ROMS/SNES/
etc.

<3ds?>/homebrew/3DNES/<any config files go here>.

not everything in /ROMS/, I don't like having different files for different consoles or homebrew in the same folder, just keep things organized!

Anyway, good job and thanks for creating a new thread. It will gives more attentions to all users.

If you want a wiki compatibility page, we can discuss the required informations/columns/colors/etc..

Reactions: Margen67 and st4rk

Suikoden77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Exactly.

I'm sure that st4rk has the directory navigator in mind, but in my opinion that is a secondary upgrade for the emulator. It's better to improve optimization, support more mappers, sound, rather than having a navigator.

Anyway, i'm amazed with this emulator, hoping smealum release sspwn soon so people who hasn't gateway (like me) can start playing homebrews !

Reactions: st4rk

SuperSVGA

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the blue screen get stuck on the screen for anyone else? I even exit to the home menu and it's still there.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And i dont see another 3ds emu coming since 3ds scene is dead!.. We just got this guy making releasing useful homebrew!.... and why would someone bother to make something that was already done?

The 3DS scene is dead? I hope that was sarcastic.

There are over half a dozen NES emulators for DS. It is the most popular system to emulate on every platform so why couldn't/shouldn't the same happen on the 3DS?

st4rk

nah
OP
Trophies
Website
st4rk.net
XP
Country
Brazil
just wondering, we need to use gateway 2.2 to use homebrew, correct? (I still use omega 2.1 )
Yeah, most updated.

Does the blue screen get stuck on the screen for anyone else? I even exit to the home menu and it's still there.

So, after quit the app, bottom screen stuck on blue, so open another app and fix it.

Tomobobo
I read all your post, we can talk via PM, but now the focus is speed up, i will use this configuration to the 2.0(i think), then keep calm ^_^

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS scene is dead? I hope that was sarcastic.

There are over half a dozen NES emulators for DS. It is the most popular system to emulate on every platform so why couldn't/shouldn't the same happen on the 3DS?

Writing emulators to run on 3DS code is much harder to do than writing emulators for the DS, due to a variety of factors. That and access to 3DS isn't achieved as easily, but the 3DS has more resources and more potential than DS mode. Porting and writing code to another platform isn't an easy task.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I'm the one who suggested two separated folders for roms and saves.
But I understand your concern.

Maybe instead of /3DNES/ROMS/ and /3DNES/SAVES/
change it to :
/ROMS/NES/
/ROMS/SNES/
etc.

<3ds?>/homebrew/3DNES/<any config files go here>.

not everything in /ROMS/, I don't like having different files for different consoles or homebrew in the same folder, just keep things organized!

Anyway, good job and thanks for creating a new thread. It will gives more attentions to all users.

If you want a wiki compatibility page, we can discuss the required informations/columns/colors/etc..
i think a standard of storing homebrew external resources would be better stored inside the existing SD layout, so instead of having new folders added to the root for every homebrew app that pops up, if they where all contained inside X:\Nintendo 3DS\Homebrew\*app name*\*any sub folders,config files ,rom files etc relating to this specific app*

that way if you ever want to remove a homebrew app you simply have to delete that folder and everything is gone

it will also mean there is no new folders on the SD card's root.....:P

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
File browser is still a bit buggy (the cursor position doesnt reset when entering folders). And I don't have access to a device that can read full-SD cards, so I've found that ROMS in alternative folders (SD/Nintendo 3DS/nes/a/game.nes for example)

Reactions: Tomobobo

st4rk

nah
OP
Trophies
Website
st4rk.net
XP
Country
Brazil
File browser is still a bit buggy (the cursor position doesnt reset when entering folders). And I don't have access to a device that can read full-SD cards, so I've found that ROMS in alternative folders (SD/Nintendo 3DS/nes/a/game.nes for example)

Thanks for report, the correct is every-roms will be load in ROMS Folder from 3DNES, but i will modify it later :]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.