GBATemp's guitar hero
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Today after I got my 3DS (standard model) out of sleep mode, the 3D didn't work anymore.
If I turn the 3D slider all the way up I just see 2 images, like what you'd see when recording it through a camera, except there's no difference in how strongly the light from the screen comes across if I move the thing around (usually with 3D on when moving it around there is some variation). I've tried entering and exiting sleep mode multiple times, as well as a couple of restarts, but it doesn't seem to work.
People I've found with similar problems usually did have 3D in the home menu, but I don't have 3D anywhere at the moment.
Does anyone know what's wrong?

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This problem can be caused if the cable for the parallax barrier is unplugged (the topmost one in the picture). It doesn't just pop out on its own though unless the console is dropped or suffers some kind of rough impact, so if nothing like that happened to your console it's possible there may be some other issue causing the problem.

Reactions: Demonbart

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's been in my backpack a lot to rack up StreetPass hits, so I guess that could be the case, is this easily fixable or would you recommend sending it in for repairs just to be safe?
Either way thanks a lot for the tip.

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been in my backpack a lot to rack up StreetPass hits, so I guess that could be the case, is this easily fixable or would you recommend sending it in for repairs just to be safe?
Either way thanks a lot for the tip.
If it's really caused by the cable being unplugged then yes, it's fairly easy. But I could be wrong. I have no doubt that it can be caused by that cable, but since I've only seen it come undone once or twice in consoles that weren't completely crushed, I do have doubts. I just don't want you to end up voiding your warranty and attempting a tricky repair based on nothing more than a hunch of mine.

If you do want to have a look to check the cable yourself though it's not that hard to open the top part without disassembling anything else. You just have to remove the plastic cover in front of the upper LCD so you can remove the six Phillips screws beneath. When you do this it's fairly likely that you may get some dust on the LCD though, which can be a terrible pain to get off completely when you finish and need to reapply the plastic cover.

You can get a better idea of whether or not you want to try it by looking at this iFixit guide. You would only be doing steps 23 through 27. None of the other disassembly is necessary for this.

Reactions: Demonbart

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn