Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Depends on what you mean with that...

sm64.jpg

That game is a 3D platformer, and it's also amazing... ..so if that counts, sure! I agree with you :P

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
unfortunately its just a gimmick, nice for the first 5-10 mins, then it gets turned off never to be used again
not just for the 3ds but also regular 3d enabled games

Pretty much this.

3D hasn't ever really added anything valuable to gaming.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I completely forgot my 3DS supports stereoscopic 3D. I get the appeal of it, but I don't care, I don't enjoy it. At least not in its current form. It causes headaches, drops the performance of the game tremendously, and requires me to hold my 3DS in a very specific position. I've heard the N3DS supports far better stereoscopic 3D, but I don't care much for the 3D effect, especially not enough to spend a $100+. VR does look promising, though.

Last edited by TecXero,

jimskeet2002

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Lol I have been playing my o3ds since launch and new 3dsxl since launch. Haven't played a single game without the 3d slider fully on!
It just adds so much more sharpness to the image and the 3d effect is so awesome! It might not add much on gameplay but it looks fckin awesome! I cannot imagine how you play with the slider turned off. Really...

Reactions: KingVamp

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I tried 3DS with 3D activated - Didn't really wow me at all. A month ago I watched Jurassic World in 3D and it was okay but nothing impressive either.

I'm still yet to be amazed by 3D.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah, 3D screens are pretty lame. I turn the 3D on for the occasional cutscene, but other than that I don't want to strain my eyes when gaming and trade the 3D for smoother framerate. I can see the appeal of Oculus Rift-style devices, but conventional stereoscopy is not fit for purpose - it's just a fishbowl with low-res cardboard cutouts.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
>plays on O3ds
>my eyes, hurt omg....

>plays on a N3ds
>stable 3d is amazing
>feels weird with the feeling the camera is always reading your eyes,
>nintendo is looking through my soul
>freaks out

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I dont even own a 3DS but I do have a Google Cardboard and a 3D Video Wizard and I enjoy them both. I plan to get another 2d to 3d converter soon.

cherryduck

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Your brain actually learns to see manufactured 3D. It frustrates me when people say 3D is rubbish, you just haven't given yourself enough time to adjust. When you do, it seems a lot more natural, you don't get achey eyes or headaches and the 3D effect is much more impressive.

Reactions: Mylink5

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Your brain actually learns to see manufactured 3D. It frustrates me when people say 3D is rubbish, you just haven't given yourself enough time to adjust. When you do, it seems a lot more natural, you don't get achey eyes or headaches and the 3D effect is much more impressive.
...except some people just can't see it due to medical conditions and others are just not impressed by it. It's not like you're staring at an actual impressive hologram, it's still a flat surface, just with some fake depth.

cherryduck

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
...except some people just can't see it due to medical conditions and others are just not impressed by it. It's not like you're staring at an actual impressive hologram, it's still a flat surface, just with some fake depth.

Fair enough, not saying it has the possibility of being awesome to everyone but the majority of people I speak to IRL about 3D, be it gaming or movies, will say "I don't like 3D" and when pressed they've seen one film in the cinema or something, which is not enough time for your brain to adjust.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I for one enjoy it, even on my 3DS. While it is a gimmick for the most part, I don't really get tired of the 3D, as I find it easier for playing some games, such as Mario Kart. Once you get used to the physics and the way the game handles, it's much easier to judge distance than without it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Fair enough, not saying it has the possibility of being awesome to everyone but the majority of people I speak to IRL about 3D, be it gaming or movies, will say "I don't like 3D" and when pressed they've seen one film in the cinema or something, which is not enough time for your brain to adjust.
There's a big difference between how 3D is achieved with a projector and how 3D is done in video games. Projectors don't render images - everything's already on film, so as long as you have film made with two angles, you're golden. With games it's different - any form of 3D requires double the frames which often times negatively impacts performance. If it's a shutters system, you lose out on framerate (for obvious reasons) and it's tiring to your eyes due to all the flashing of the shutters. If it's a parallax barrier like on the 3DS, you're entering jaggies country the moment you switch the feature on since half the pixels have to be dedicated to one eye and half to the other, not to mention that double the rendering means far worse framerate. The only proper 3D solution involves a headset like the Oculus Rift which performs all the necessary FOV transformation, but utilizing it requires pretty beefy hardware since you do need the extra framerate like in other solutions and the resolution isn't all that great anyways, even after so many revisions. We're just not quite "there" with 3D yet, but if I were to bet on something, I'd bet on the Oculus and similar devices, and even then I think it's totally a gimmick and it won't retire the traditional "sit on your couch/in your chair and just play" gaming.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night