jdeath

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
I got a used Old 3DS XL (good price), but the 3D is broken. Everything works fine when 3D slider is off, but seems L/R screen is going to both eyes in 3D mode. Picture attached. The double image gets further apart as you move the slider up.

I have read it could be a bad parallax filter. If that is the issue, can it be replaced or fixed?

IMG_0769.JPG

Last edited by jdeath,

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You read correctly :)

It's not something you can replace without replacing the entire upper LCD. However, what most likely happened is that either the ribbon cable or the connector for the parallax barrier is loose, dirty, or damaged. The problem you're having can be reproduced on a working system by simply unplugging the ribbon cable, so it's most likely either loose, damaged or not making proper contact inside the connector.

In the top half of the console there are two ribbon cables that connect to some small ZIF connectors on the speaker assembly. The bottom one is for the upper screen backlight and the top one is for the parallax barrier. I don't have a console in front of me right now, but here's the part I mean:

Ignore the one with the toothpick pointing at it (it's an old photo), but check the top one for damage or corrosion. Maybe if you're lucky you can solve the problem by disconnecting the ribbon cable, cleaning the connector, and then reconnecting it.

You can also try turning the system on and pressing down on the connector with the ribbon cable inserted. If the 3D effect works properly when you exert pressure on the connector with your finger but stops working when you remove your finger, then the problem is probably due to a damaged latch or dirt in the connector. In the worst case scenario, either the speaker cable or the upper LCD would have to be replaced, depending on which part, if any, is actually damaged. Neither is particularly easy to replace, but they are at least cheap.

Last edited by SmileCitrus,

jdeath

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I may give it a try! All the tear-down guides require removing the bottom just to get to the LCD. If that is true, it may not try.

Can I get to by just removing the top screen screws?

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, I may give it a try! All the tear-down guides require removing the bottom just to get to the LCD. If that is true, it may not try.

That's true, but 3DS disassembly is actually really easy if you can just make sure you don't lose any parts/screws

(I'm speaking with my experience modding an O3DS XL, I know the original model is harder and I don't know at all about the N3DS systems)

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. To open up the top half you just need to remove the plastic display lens and the six screws beneath. Heat the display lens up a bit with a hairdryer to make it easier to pry off. You only need to open the bottom half if you're actually going to replace the screen or one of the ribbon cables.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse