33c3 hacker conference begins on the 27th. Nintendo console hacking talk scheduled.

500px-33c3-logo.png

The annual C3 hacker conference, this year being 33C3, is set to run from the 27th of December to the 30th of December. It is one of the main European hacker conferences and invariably features loads of interesting talks on a variety of things hackers might be interested in. If you have ever wanted to learn how to hack things then "start watching these" is a good answer.
Previous years have showcased hacking of the Wii, PS3, 3ds and more besides. This year has a Nintendo talk scheduled with the 3ds and wii u mentioned, there is also a talk on the PS4, pinball machines, a talk on the hardware of the original gameboy line and a dissection of a 16 bit era dos game in case you ever wondered what it really takes to port an old game you lack source code for. It is certainly not all games though so do check out the Farhplan/schedule for more.
https://fahrplan.events.ccc.de/congress/2016/Fahrplan/
Do remember this is Berlin/Hamburg/CET time or presently GMT+1
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/germany/berlin

You can try to watch things live if you want, however you might be better off waiting for things to appear on the C3 youtube channels. There are also a few hackerspaces streaming the events.

What talks are you looking forward to?

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"Nintendo console hacking talk scheduled." - yes we know, Mr. Fast. You shouldn't block the entire 3ds section. :P

https://gbatemp.net/threads/33c3-co...c-27-30-smea-derrek-nedwill-naehrwert.450043/
3ds section should be less filled with crap then, granted that would first require it to get some games or some homebrew potential.

Apparently there will be PS4 talk.
Erm, it is there
*whistles nonchalantly*
and I was talking about it the other day as well... poor form there.

Anyway looks like there are loads of presentations I want to see again, and as usual I still have a handful from last year yet to see.
https://fahrplan.events.ccc.de/congress/2016/Fahrplan/events/8221.html is probably the one I am most curious about, might have to brush up first though ( https://ds9a.nl/amazing-dna/ ).
I do like learning about HDMI as well so https://fahrplan.events.ccc.de/congress/2016/Fahrplan/events/8057.html will be in there somewhere for me,
For a good previous one

I will spare you all the wall of videos this time though.

Edit. Talk on radare might be interesting. People often want to take up hacking and when it then comes to IDA, for others reading an amazing software reverse engineering tool, the barrier to entry there is rather high. radare/radare2 is the main open source counter to it but it is not the easiest thing to love https://fahrplan.events.ccc.de/congress/2016/Fahrplan/events/8095.html

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
A small group of people have had bootrom for a while. It's just those same people like to take the moral high ground in not releasing to the public.
I hate those kinds of hackers... I like the kind who do whatever they can to release everything possible, and freely, open-source, for the greater good of the community. The ones who dangle their stuff over the heads of others just because they can and never release it, are in-fact male genitalia.

*cough*FailOverFlow*cough*

Reactions: Xiphiidae

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I missed PS4 in your post. But dude, I can't tell if you're mocking me or what. Not sure why, but for me, at times, your posts are not that easy to understand. :unsure:
I meant to include it, was discussing it the other day actually, but neglected to add it when I wrote that. Therefore what you see now was a hasty edit shortly before whatever time this morning I wrote that post.
I was not mocking you, I tend not to mock anybody. I might take the piss if someone makes a stupid comment but someone trying to be helpful is not a good candidate for that.

But yeah I have been getting bad of late when it comes to my posts and not taming the tendency to include a large of the many thoughts I have on most matters, to say nothing of the huge sentences I favour writing when left to my own devices.

Reactions: WiiUBricker

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i wish theres a PS4 talks :)
There is. https://fahrplan.events.ccc.de/congress/2016/Fahrplan/events/7946.html
Probably not going to end up like the PS3 talk but is set to cover good stuff
the talk description said:
PS4: PC Master Race
Event large

Last year, we demonstrated Linux running on the PS4 in a lightning talk - presented on the PS4 itself. But how did we do it? In a departure from previous Console Hacking talks focusing on security, this year we're going to focus on the PS4 hardware, what makes it different from a PC, and how we reverse engineered it enough to get a full-blown Linux distro running on it, complete with 3D acceleration.

So you have an exploit. You have code execution. Great! But what do you do now?

In the past, console homebrew usually focused on bringing up a development environment similar to the one used for commercial games. However, with the increasing complexity of console hardware, it's becoming impractical for a small team of hackers to create a full blown development SDK. Using leaked official SDKs is illegal. What can we do? Well, there's Linux.

The PS4 is particularly great for Linux, because it is based on a modified x86 platform and a modified Radeon GPU. That means that once the basic OS port is complete, it can run existing games - even Steam games and other commercial software. But just how similar is the PS4 to a PC? Can you just throw GRUB on it and boot an Ubuntu kernel? Not quite.

In this talk we'll cover the PS4 hardware and part of its software environment, and how we reverse engineered enough of it to write Linux drivers and kernel patches. We'll go over how we went from basic code execution to building a 'kexec' function that can boot into Linux from the PS4's FreeBSD-based kernel. We'll reverse engineer the PS4's special hardware, from special PCI interrupt management to the HDMI encoder. We'll dive deep into the Radeon-based GPU architecture, and we'll share some previously unreleased research and tools of interest to AMD Radeon driver developers and hackers.

If you're interested in the strange world of x86 hardware that isn't quite a PC, then this talk is for you.

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i also expect plans to break the switch on day -69 (69 days before release) and make kimishima open his jaw, realizing his weak ass console is too easily hacked and become more secured like sony

I think a big reason Vita hasn't been fully hacked yet is the lack of interest. How many people would want to buy a flashcart, or whatever the Vita equivalent would be, for a handheld with such a weak list of exclusive games. If Vita had a 3DS level amount of first party exclusive content I suspect we would already have the ability to play Vita ISO's.

4gionz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think a big reason Vita hasn't been fully hacked yet is the lack of interest. How many people would want to buy a flashcart, or whatever the Vita equivalent would be, for a handheld with such a weak list of exclusive games. If Vita had a 3DS level amount of first party exclusive content I suspect we would already have the ability to play Vita ISO's.
What are you talking about? The vita IS hacked and can play game backups for a few months now.

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are you talking about? The vita IS hacked and can play game backups for a few months now.

Really? There's a device that allows you to play Vita ISO's? What's it called?

Considering it took such a long time from the launch date for this to occur I would think part of the reason for the delay would be lack of interest. I think we can all agree that the more quality exclusive content a device has the bigger priority it is to have it hacked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night