Hardware 3.5mm Jacks not working?

Cody090909

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On my motherboard both the front and back sets of audio jacks do nothing. They used to work a few months ago, I just haven't noticed due to my headset using a usb sound card. I now need to RMA said headset because the mic isn't working on it. I want to use my old one, but I can't get the output or mic ports to play or record any sound.

I've tried reinstalling the Realtek HD drivers as well as trying the windows drivers. I have an asrock z77 extreme motherboard.

Anything I forgot to say just ask. Thanks.

Cody090909

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Cody090909,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I assume the speakers/headphones work if plugged in something else.

All the way up could be some kind of cross talk/interference but usually when I see such things it is the jack that is broken somehow. Turn it back down a bit and wiggle the connection. If you have some contact cleaner give it a squirt.

Cody090909

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already tried moving it around, but it fits super snug and shifting it around does nothing. All the headphones I've tried do indeed work on other devices. Maybe 4 different ports managed to break without ever being used? I also noticed that the front ports are always detected as 'plugged in' and the back ones I can't seem to get to detect anything anymore at all. How odd.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In that case it might be the front ones are detecting as plugged in, this mutes the back ones, save for when you get the little bit of cross talk at max volume.

If you can fix the front ones then great (it tends to be like phones where the internal connector gets bent in and tricks the detection circuits) but if not then remove it, turn the volume back to a normal level if you have not and test again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night