T-hug

Always like this.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I didn't preorder or buy a 3DS as I felt the price was to high atm.
After reading all the complaints of headaches, eye strain and fatigue it got me thinking, why don't Nintendo release a 2D model for like £150?
I would definitely buy one! The trade price of the parts that make up the 3DS are estimated to be around $70, so there would still be a good profit for Ninty in a 2D only model.

This way I still get to play the new games without a risk to my health.

Anyone else think this would be a good move for Nintendo?
Would you buy a 2D only model?

Look at all the complaints already from twitter:

http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?4528...e-3DS-headaches

UPDATE: http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?4531...plaints-roll-in

It's obviously a wide spread problem.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The price of the parts is not the total price, since there's labor, and they have to make up R&D and marketing and crap.

This isn't like the DSi, where you'd gain features in exchange for losing something that wasn't being made any more (backwards compatibility with GBA games), 3D is it's main selling point, and games will be made for years to come focusing on 3D.

Quanno

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I would buy one if they did, I can't see the 3D so that's useless for me.

Too bad it won't happen.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
AlanJohn said:
Even if there are complaints, that doesn't mean that you will get them too. It depends from the person thats playing and for how long. I never had complaints with 3D. Since I like to watch 3D movies.
Me too. I have love 3D movies and had no issues with the 3DS' 3D. Life's good.

Don't take other people's impressions to heart until you try it yourself. People will shout complaints to the rooftops, and people will listen. People love bad news. Those with no problems have little reason to be telling everyone.

Oceanborn712

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The 3DS screen itself is worth only a few bucks, there's no way the 3D-less 3DS would cost more than 10$ less than the complete one. And then there's an additional product to advertise for Nintendo and/or people not buying it because they're confused. Also, what would you call the 3D-less 3DS? 2DS? Sounds like an older model. 3DS 2D Edition? lol
tongue.gif

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A bunch of twitter posts from people that don't even own a 3DS and probably didn't spend that much time to adjust/turn off the 3D isn't "widespread" (especially when there'll be 2.5mil units floating around). That being said, I would definitely buy a "2DS" (since they wouldn't be able to call it 3DS) if it was a cheaper model. But as others have said, the screen isn't like an HDD. You'd have to allocate a number of 2D units and a number of 3D units. Then there's the possibility of one cutting into the sales of the other.

benno300

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Midna said:
AlanJohn said:
Even if there are complaints, that doesn't mean that you will get them too. It depends from the person thats playing and for how long. I never had complaints with 3D. Since I like to watch 3D movies.
Me too. I have love 3D movies and had no issues with the 3DS' 3D. Life's good.

Don't take other people's impressions to heart until you try it yourself. People will shout complaints to the rooftops, and people will listen. People love bad news. Those with no problems have little reason to be telling everyone.

LG lol

redsmas

Trophies
XP
Country
But the point is they don't need to release a 2d version because the 3d can be switched off, I leave mine switched off all the time.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Not a bad idea if you can't see in 3D/out of both eyes or the 3D gives you migraines easily. You don't want to have to pay for useless features (to you) especially if the feature is what bumps up the price a lot.

redsmas said:
But the point is they don't need to release a 2d version because the 3d can be switched off, I leave mine switched off all the time.

But what about those that cannot see 3D and won't buy the 3DS because of that? They are only a minority, but I'm sure it doesn't cost a lot of money to not put in the 3D components, print a different box and market it differently.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's NINTENDO PEOPLE!
they never have released an alternate version of their hardware, inferior to the previous.
there is no wii without motion controls.
there was no ds with one screen.

sure the user has the choice to not use the main features of a device but they exist.
there are games like ssbb for wii
there are some games that dont use the second screen much, like mariokart
dont use 3d if you dont want it

rashef

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Poland
Keep in mind setting the slider to 0 Does not turn 3D off, it just sets it so that you can't see it. If you really want to turn it off there's a menu option for that. And while at it you might decrease backlight strenght to increase your battery life even further.

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has always stated the 3D will never be required. If you don't like it it's as simple as turning the effect off. There you go, 2D version of a 3DS. It's as simple as that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Thankfully the N64 had a metric ton of other fantastic games. I do kind of hate the controller...