Hacking 2017 Wii U flash sales: 8GB vs 32GB

GBA rocks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So it's 2017 and the Switch is upon us.

Plenty (or not?) new&sealed WiiUs will flood auction sites in the coming weeks, both in 8GB and 32GB flavours, the former particularly cheap.

I was wondering: is there any reason to prefer 32GB black wiiUs over the 8GB basic (big fan of white here) in terms of hacking/cfw/USB_backups/vWii/VC?
Provided one will use a USB hdd anyway.

Last edited by GBA rocks,

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you should get an 8GB basic one, because the nand in that one is smaller. I had to buy a new 64GB sd card to dump my 32GB Wii U nand. If you're using a USB hdd anyway, there's really no point in a 32GB Wii U unless you really like the color black.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Not much difference, the 32gb is ok if you get it cheap, but if your going to be installing stuff to USB anyway, the onboard storage just goes to waste

GBA rocks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I see.
I'm afraid on the 8GB to hit some capacity "roof" in the coming months/years of wiiU hacking scene.

Like, on the Wii it was super important to me to keep the most used VC titles on the NAND (vs the SD).

On the Wii U literally anything is bigger faster and better if loaded from the USB hdd? Can one ignore the user-available space on the NAND? Even for vWii and homebrew?

dojafoja

life elevated
Trophies
XP
Country
You are going to be adding extra storage regardless of which one you get. Neither 8 Gb nor 32 Gb is sufficient IMHO. I would add up to 500 Gb external storage on the cheaper 8 Gb model. You won't need anything bigger than 500 Gb unless you insist on putting all games including the shitty ones in your library

Last edited by dojafoja,

thatsage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You're gonna need ext. HDD anyway because 32gb isn't enough for more than like 3-4 (full) games anyway.

So get the 8gb. I'd prefer white too but I could only get my hands on the 32gb version. Came with an amiibo at least :)

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont start all this bullshit about sd cards. A 64gb sd is like $10 for gods sake.

If you cant afford that, grow up and get a job.
I think you missed the reply button bro. I've been using a 32gb micro sd card on my 3ds and thought it would be alright to use it for the Wii U. (I already use it between two 3ds consoles anyway) So I wasn't too thrilled about having to buy a 64GB SD card.

I think you missed the whole point of this thread. Why do you think the 32GB Wii U is better than the 8GB? Especially if it's being used with a USB HDD? Thanks for adding your wonderful insight to this thread. I'm sure your comment will save countless people both time and money on 64gb sd cards.

D

Deleted User

8GB is actually worthless

But 64 is too much for me. I can get a 32 card for 5$. I probably won't need a 64.

I use HDDs anyways

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you should get an 8GB basic one, because the nand in that one is smaller. I had to buy a new 64GB sd card to dump my 32GB Wii U nand. If you're using a USB hdd anyway, there's really no point in a 32GB Wii U unless you really like the color black.
Could've just used sysnand, though...

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could've just used sysnand, though...
Yeah, that's true, but if you want emunand, a 64gb sd card is required. Not sure if that's changed, but I know that back when I bought it, it was a requirement for emunand. (Or rednand, or purplenand, whatever it's called)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Welp I'm off to best buy because I figured out how to shove another 14tb hard drive in this server 😂