1502 - River City Ransom EX (U)

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The character save system was there in the original Japanese version that was released earlier. It is sort of weird but if you think back to other games of this type such as "Streets of Rage", you didn't really get to save for them either, did you?

I don't really play this game but I remember someone posting that after you get pass a certain point and defeat a boss, you resume from that point the next time.

As for the glitch with saves, I haven't tried it yet so don't know
tongue.gif

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Too many newbies can't handle the old school perfection of RCR. I knew all this bitching was going to happen, but I still love the game. I loved it back on the NES and this is a pretty good remake. The only thing I wish they would have done was spruced up the interface a bit as it looks decidedly crappy. But it's not something I'm gonna lose any sleep over. Hate having to hit two buttons to jump? Man, if I could just find you and backhand you. . .
The point they're making is that it's unnecessary to not support a save feature now days. At the very least to have one of those pause-the-game-then-resume-later functions, whereby it deletes the saved game data. Those are necessary on handheld games since what do you do if your batteries suddenly start to die?

Games were different back then, and it was more difficult to produce carts with battery saves. So only games that really deserved and required it, like Zelda or Final Fantasy 1, used them. Otherwise it was password features for most. Now days it's a piece of cake to stick a battery in a game, so there's very little excuse not to do so. Especially when this game already has one, but just doesn't utlize it fully.

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
also remember, many games don't support save functionality because with it, the game would become too easy. the funny part is, if they had implemented a save feature like you described, you'd still have just as many people complaining that the game was too easy and that they finished it way too quickly.

it's never been difficult to produce a cartridge with a battery save since it was introduced, just sometimes cost prohibitive. when you consider that additional costs like that reduce the already small percentage that a publisher receives for a title (after paying the developers and marketing costs (plus any licensing fees) as well as nintendo's cut (royalties) for producing the game), every cutback can make the difference of turning a profit or simply staying a float (not every title sells 6-digit numbers).

if it still holds true, the publishers have to pay up-front for their cartridge runs with nintendo. so, if you produce a game and start with a run of say 100,000 pcs, that 25 cent battery suddenly becomes an additional $25,000 cost which can make or break your company if you aren't one of the bigger companies like capcom or konami.

Cid_Highwind

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What the save option does is only saves your stats, not your progress, it'll act like you never played it, but your character will be beefed up as much as you did.
That's all the save option does.
But you don't need to save in this game, you just go a kick ass and take names.

Wario64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well the game could have implemented a "resume" feature like someone mentioned earlier, where you can select to save and quit and resume your game at a later time. But upon resuming, it would delete that save game as you start, which would eliminate any "re-loading" save games if you die or whatever. So what if the NES version didn't have this. Final Fight One allows you to resume the level you left off on, although the original version doesn't even have a save feature. Not allowing this type of saving on a handheld is just plain stupid

G

Genya Arikado

Well the game could have implemented a "resume" feature like someone mentioned earlier, where you can select to save and quit and resume your game at a later time. But upon resuming, it would delete that save game as you start, which would eliminate any "re-loading" save games if you die or whatever. So what if the NES version didn't have this. Final Fight One allows you to resume the level you left off on, although the original version doesn't even have a save feature. Not allowing this type of saving on a handheld is just plain stupid
That is right, but im still buying the game so they can make more awesome sequels!

LiQuid!

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people are missing the point that makes this game great. It's not about beating the game. It's NOT a point A to point B game. It's a brawler for stat whores. A system that allowed you to save (even a quick save that deleted itself when you loaded it) would make the game retardedly easy. It already is. You can sit down for 2 hours and get to the end. But that's not really what it's about. It's about maxing out your stats, kicking ass, taking names, and making guys yell 'BARF!" That's it. If you don't like it, don't play it.

Dais

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"A system that allowed you to save (even a quick save that deleted itself when you loaded it) would make the game retardedly easy. It already is."

Doesn't that mean that it would not harm the gameplay experience in any way to include an actual save feature, as opposed to the awkward menu stat save/character management system currently in place?

I can appreciate a game having unique design, but I can't appreciate a lack of effort put into making it easier to use it's various features.

D

Deleted User

Sadly, i finished this game in two hours in first run.
I'm going to cry now. Why does good game finish quickly? (except FFTA and Mario & Luigi)

transce080

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TECHNIQUES BOOKS (move explanations from RCREX's japanese FAQ)

*Grand Slam (A While holding a weapon) = Really fast weapon hitting
*Slap Happy (While dashing, press A) = Slap multiple times around enemies
*Bicycle Kick (While dashing, press B, to be airborne, tap repeadeatly) = Kicks really really fast in 1 direction
*Torpedo (Jump not dash jump, and press A) = A controllable invincible, self helicopter that can hit anything in its path and can't be stopped
*Javelin Man (Pick up an opponent with the B button and throw them with the B button) = Opponent flies like a helicopter doing damage to anything in the way(damage is calculated due to your stats)
*Helicopter(Pick up a downed opponent with the B button and tap down repeadeatly) = spins your enemy all the way until he dies
*Acro Circus (Run and jump) = Turns to a human cannonball-thing thats invincible and controllable
*Top Spin (Tap down repeadeatly) = Spins so fast that it deflects any attacks *and causes damage at same time
*Kickstand (Pick up a downed opponent with the A button and repeadeatly tap up) = Sticks your shoes in your opponents butt
*Magic Pants (Secret Shop) = Regenerate Health slowly

THINGS TO EAT
--------------
Latte Caffeine
--------------
French Toast Will1 Stam?
Tea Will30 Stam1
Hot Cocoa Def1 Will10 Stam10
Toast Str1 STam?
Coffee Will? Stam?
Sampler Def1 Stam? MaxStam10
Spaghetti Stam?

-----------
Sweet Tooth
-----------
Choco Egg Def1 Will1 Stam7
Mint Gum Tough1 Will2
Lolly Pop Def1 Will2
Jaw Breaker Jump1 Will2
Rock Candy Will 2 Stam10
Fudge Bar WIll2 Stam10

------------
Metro Bakery
------------
Muffin Def1 Stam6
Bagel Tought1 Stam6
Honey Bun Stam10
Rye Stam10
Donut Stam8
Multigrain STam12

Game Settings

Main Setting
Level Normal

eightbitminiboss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Important for all EZFA users:

For those whom can't get this game to save on the EZFA, upgrade your client to version 1.03. It's available on the official gba-toys.com site.

killer bunny

Trophies
XP
Country
This game is broken.....

Acrocircus its totally fucked, unlike the old version this not only provides a sollid attack from air. But gives you continuing attacks while being invinsable, so you only need acrocirkus to complete the game.

Crappy remake.

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
At the time the Japanese version was out I totally got confused. It was sooo easy. I could just keep going. Finally I ended up before some kind of door and there I was totally stuck. I'm really curious if this version clears up this little mystery. I hope I can enjoy this game, cause it played really nice, just thumping, beating, hacking and slashing the baddies...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs