Hacking 11.3, System Transfers, and Hacks?

Kix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greetings. I'm new here, so pardon if this isn't the right section for my thread. I would really appreciate any advice on how to best approach this sitation.

Here's the scenario...
-I have a Red N3DSXL with my data on it
-I intend to transfer this to a Pikachu version at the end of the month
-I want to transfer my friends Old XL onto my Red New XL as sell it to them
-After this is all done, I would like both New XLs will be hacked and good to go
-All systems involved are starting unhacked at 11.2

To simply illustrate:
New Red --> New Pikachu
Old XL --> New Red

Ending with homebrew on both New 3DS

SO! What I would like to know is "What is the simplest, least risky way to achieve this?"
I've followed 3ds.guide before, but it was just for my own old XL. I haven't messed around much beyond that, so pardon my basic understand of how all these tools actually work.

I planned on doing plain old system transfers out of the box, but 11.3 just made this situation a bit complicated as systems have to be up to date to do system transfers.

My plan would be to hack all 3 systems involved and use httpwn (included in HBL) to bypass the update requirement for system transferring.

Does this sound like a solid plan, or could something go horribly wrong?

On top of that, it probably isn't safe to just copy all of the contents from my friends SD from old 3DS to the micro SD for the New 3DS once they're all homebrewed, is it? Would I have to worry about version differences of what's put in there between the old and new 3ds? Or is that perfectly okay to do and the target system would be able to launch homebrew tools right away with this?

Last edited by Kix,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If they are already on 11.2, just hack them and install A9LH on all of them. Then you can safely update to 11.3 and do a system transfer without loosing your hacks.
3ds.guide
Just follow the guide, though I do suggest studying it a little first to make sure you understand what you are doing.

Reactions: Kix

Kix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they are already on 11.2, just hack them and install A9LH on all of them. Then you can safely update to 11.3 and do a system transfer without loosing your hacks.
3ds.guide
Just follow the guide, though I do suggest studying it a little first to make sure you understand what you are doing.
I see. That sounds simple enough. If I understand this correctly, I'll still have to reinstall HBL with the new 11.3 payload through soundhax again after updating though, right?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Reactions: Kix

Kix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually once you have A9LH installed and a CFW, you just need to install the homebrew launcher cia
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release...loader-for-cfw-users-cia-hbl-launcher.404151/
Ah, even better. Before all this, though, wouldn't one still have to repeat the FBI injectable steps of the guide, or is FBI something that somehow survives system transferring? You do need that to install .cia files, correct?

Again, pardon my ignorance. Everything I know is merely from studying the guide and making logical guesses from the steps. This is my first foray into seeing how Nintendo does things.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ah, even better. Before all this, though, wouldn't one still have to repeat the FBI injectable steps of the guide, or is FBI something that somehow survives system transferring? You do need that to install .cia files, correct?

Again, pardon my ignorance. Everything I know is merely from studying the guide and making logical guesses from the steps. This is my first foray into seeing how Nintendo does things.
As far as I know, once you do the system transfer, you will need to re-inject FBI. But of course if all systems have A9LH installed, that process is actually quite easy.

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Well you can also install FBI through HBL (FBI) that you launch with Soundhax .. Whichever method is easiest for you, I guess. Though installing it thru HBL is faster in my opinion.

Kix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello again! As the launch for the New Pikachu XL approaches, I'm making preparations for the transfer, and I thought of another concern.

Is there anything to be concerned about with the OTP and Emunand after you do a system transfer? I assume the OTP is a non-concern because you only need it to install Arm9, which survives the transfer.

According to the guide, Luma makes it so I don't even need to bother with creating/using an emunand? Will I still want to make one once the whole process is over?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hello again! As the launch for the New Pikachu XL approaches, I'm making preparations for the transfer, and I thought of another concern.

Is there anything to be concerned about with the OTP and Emunand after you do a system transfer? I assume the OTP is a non-concern because you only need it to install Arm9, which survives the transfer.

According to the guide, Luma makes it so I don't even need to bother with creating/using an emunand? Will I still want to make one once the whole process is over?
Don't have emuNAND, it'll make the process more complicated since you have to worry about removing the SD card causing the system to crash.

Also, what do you mean by a9lh survives the transfer? A9lh will not be transferred, you need to install it before the transfer on the target console.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Kix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't have emuNAND, it'll make the process more complicated since you have to worry about removing the SD card causing the system to crash.

Also, what do you mean by a9lh survives the transfer? A9lh will not be transferred, you need to install it before the transfer on the target console.
I meant that I'm gonna install it on every system involved, and it stays on the target system, unlike generic home menu applications, right?

Kix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I just hacked the Red one ahead of time, paying a little more attention to details. My next step will be doing the same to the New Pikachu XL when it arrives.

After I do a system transfer, is it okay to just put the sender system's microSD in the target system when it's done without changing/deleting anything? They'll both be on 11.3 at that point. What all gets lost in the process? I've been searching around and haven't seen exact information to these questions.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
So, I just hacked the Red one ahead of time, paying a little more attention to details. My next step will be doing the same to the New Pikachu XL when it arrives.

After I do a system transfer, is it okay to just put the sender system's microSD in the target system when it's done without changing/deleting anything? They'll both be on 11.3 at that point. What all gets lost in the process? I've been searching around and haven't seen exact information to these questions.
Yeah that will be fine. You'll want to delete the a9lh folder so you don't accidentally use the OTP on another console.

Reactions: Kix and nechigawara

Kix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that will be fine. You'll want to delete the a9lh folder so you don't accidentally use the OTP on another console.
So deleting the a9lh folder does absolutely nothing to a9lh itself?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Kix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. My Pikachu New XL is right in front of me and I'm about to get started here. There's been a slight change in the scenario from the OP: My friend doesn't care about transferring their old stuff to the new hacked 3DS. However, they do want a fresh, new, bigass microSD in the system.

Would it be okay if I used the new microSD to hack the Pikachu (which will currently have no NNID), then swap that SD over to the Red one once the system transfer is over? I assume there will still be a degree of software reinstallation.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. My Pikachu New XL is right in front of me and I'm about to get started here. There's been a slight change in the scenario from the OP: My friend doesn't care about transferring their old stuff to the new hacked 3DS. However, they do want a fresh, new, bigass microSD in the system.

Would it be okay if I used the new microSD to hack the Pikachu (which will currently have no NNID), then swap that SD over to the Red one once the system transfer is over? I assume there will still be a degree of software reinstallation.
some users report problems with "bigass" sd cards so i advise you to use the smaller sd card to install a9lh then copy it from the smaller sd to the "bigass" sd

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.