ROM Hack DS Patcher?

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is a good way to create a patch, though? I know the UPS format seems to choke when creating patches for the games... any other easy way, or is it coding up your own comparision program :?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Patches rundown. All formats have GUIs these days (it seems a lot of end users do not like anything else).

IPS: files can be no larger than 16 megabytes (actually 16 megabytes - "EOF" hex) and if you shift the files in the DS rom (i.e. put it back together with anything other than something like ndsts) it sees a massive change and means a massive patch.
There are various hacks (some leave out the EOF and others can patch a 16 megabyte range given an offset but it is not worth it)

Xdelta: I use it as it works fairly well, lacks file size restrictions and handles shifting of files fairly well.

Diff: basic patching method. Quite common but not as nice as the others (I rarely see hacks using it for anything other than internal distribution).

Batch file or similar.
I use these for rom rips and some patches if necessary (couple it with a command line patcher using one of the other methods/complete files/command line commands and you are sorted).
Here you give the person who is doing the patching ndstool or an equivalent, patches for the files/complete files/"copy /b"/"cat" and a batch file. Often smaller than anything else owing to the fact no location data is needed.
Very useful for beta testing as well as you can comment stuff out if need be.

DPS: Deufeufeu patching system. A single patch that acts in a simlar manner to the batch file method but is more contained.

PDS: made way back for the jump super stars translation. Nobody outside that project uses it to my knowledge.
Patcher:
http://www.romhacking.net/utils/320/

Likewise others make exe files as in the case of stuff like the thai FF3 translation, and occasionally the chinese translation.

BSDiff aka BDF. Used for some hacks and the "scene" trainers. Similar to Xdelta and subject of one or two internet pissing matches between users/developers because of it.

PPF: playstation patching format. The original sucessor to IPS but various specifications and incompatible tools exist so while it works I tend to avoid it or have a patcher (or list of) that I know works.

NINJA: See PPF above as it is the same idea. Not that widespread and I would avoid it because of it.

UPS: the "true" sucessor to IPS. Designed to overcome some of the limits of IPS, some usage in the GBA world but not much, bigger systems tend to do better with other things.

FireFlower: used for internal hacks and some graphics work. Only here just to have a more complete list.

All being said the three most common are BSDiff, IPS and xdelta with a nod to DPS as jump ultimate stars is a big project.
GUI for the first three:
http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5047
GUI for DPS:
http://deufeufeu.free.fr/wiki/index.php?title=DPS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hoi