Hacking did realhotstuff send me a fake?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
ordered this a few days ago and it arrived today. the box looks the same as my real r4, but the print is slightly darker and has a "2" in a circle on the bottom.. the ghosted nds does not show up at all on the box. the card itself looks completly different on the inside and the back has no backing. just a sticker of the card, i can feel the chip. the msd slot is springless like the later r4s. has the company chnaged the way they are produced or did i just get sent a fake card?

cimg1471dg6.jpg

cimg1472bv2.jpg

cheers,
-another world

onneeye

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I suggest you open a support ticket with real hot stuff and ask them about it. There good about resolving problems with customers. It looks like the new R4 design.

PyroJames

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Another World said:
has a "2" in a circle on the bottom.

I don't think that means anything... or does it? My R4 that I bought from DealExtreme last year has a 3 in a circle stamped on the bottom; just like yours but it's a number 3 instead of 2.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
"We apologize for the problem. The R4 distributor lied to us about the batch of R4 they sent us. We now have the original R4 in stock. Please understand, this had never happened to us and we were not aware of the clones. We are offering you refund or exchange for the original R4.

Please let us know what you would like to do."

I find it hard to believe that a company who sells flash kits wouldn't know these were fakes. Don't they inspect the shipments? Atleast pull out 5-10 cards and double check they are what they ordered? Any rate it took less than 1 hour to get to the reply above. Now I am waiting to see what they do next, as I asked for a refund. The card was going to be a gift, I figured at $36 bucks it was worth it. I wish tthe AK2 wasn't sufforing from odd problems these days. I think I might grab an RPG off DX instead.

Cheers to everyone for the fast replies, that is why I come with my problems =)

Echo said:
hey wait .. that's the R4 i had !

it's definately a fake , had 2 chips under the sticker . you can even feel it XP

but oddly real R4 firmware works ?

I knew something was up when I opened it because it has no backing on the plastic case, just the sticker stuck right to the board. I can feel the chips which I know you could never do even back on the spring loaded R4s.

QUOTE(Sephiroth @ Aug 8 2008, 03:05 AM) This is kinda hard to tell, post a picture of the sticker too.

The sticker is legit, it matches perfectly to my real R4 which I have opened up to confirm is infact real! The box is also spot on, except for the fact that it is a darker/heavier print and the ghosted NDS near the bottom isn't visible at all. It looks like someone is taking the official stuff, even the front of the plastic case, and adding in a clone/generic board with a fake backing.

Thankfully I know to look... I feel bad for people who spent money on it and don't know the difference.

here are more pics of what I received:
cimg1473ia5.jpg

cimg1480ep7.jpg

cimg1477sd8.jpg

cimg1478ov7.jpg

cimg1479yl5.jpg

^that ripple on the sticker which catches the light by the "R" is the chip sticking out. That is the first thing I noticed which had me shaking my head.

-another world

IHN02

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Will do, still no response. I opened an identical ticket only this time on the "order" tab, not the "sales" tab, lol. I'll probably just check it in the morning.

bludwid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
that retailers get "lied to" by suppliers is a cr*p excuse. Excuse me, I might not know the shop, but I used to sell these things and it goes without saying one has to make inspections as soon as stock arrives.

I'm sorry to be skeptical, but with the shortage of real R4's, and the wholesale prices of fake R4's at 13usd per unit, it's very tempting to pass it off as the real one and make a 150% markup straight away.

onneeye

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Your going to have to send back the fake R4 in order to get a refund. That what happen when my acekard 2 died. Cost me $9 to send via UPS. They got it, tested, found it to be defective, and the next working day, I got a refund. Never had a problem with RHS.

They were really quick in responding to the open tickets. You'll get your money back.

onneeye

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here is an announcement that RHS post on the www.scdev.org about receiving fake R4's

link http://www.scdev.org/forum/index.php/topic.../topicseen.html

Looks like they question the shipping but was told by supplier that is was the new design.

This is what RHS posted

It has come to our attention that one batch of R4 sent by our supplier was fake. We apologize for the problem.

This was a new supplier to us. The first batch they sent us was all good. The second batch looked different so we asked them and were told these were new design and they were real. We just found out from our customers that they were fake.

We are offering free exchange for our customers who got the fake ones. Please email us or open a support ticket from our web site. We'll take care of exchange at no cost to you.

We take the full responsibility for the mistake we made. Please have confidence with us, we did not do it on purpose.

How to identify the fake one? If you feel 2 chips in the front of the R4, it is fake. You should not feel anything for the real R4. The front should be flat.

Again, we take the full responsibility for not being more careful about our supplier. We can assure that it will not happen again.

IHN02

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From my RHS ticket:

"We apologize for the problem. The R4 distributor lied to us about the batch of R4 they sent us. We now have the original R4 in stock. Please understand, this had never happened to us and we were not aware of the clones. We are offering you refund or exchange for the original R4.

We will send one out to you and you can return the one you have back to us by the envelope included in the package."

So apparently, I get my new one before they get their fake one. Which is great, because I won't be out of a flashcart until I get the replacement.
smile.gif

zhuzhuchina

Trophies
Website
www.zhuzhuchina.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
is not possible this kind of error, fake r4 are on market already about half of year, you can do this kind of mistake at begin, but not now. fake r4 with chip on the front are the easiest to find as fake, and matters only of some second.
then as reseller or wholeseller when you buy R4 and other cards, you have to put by yourself the R4 label on it and you can directly see the chip on front , as edge cards. supplier give you flashcards, labels, plastic box, paper box alone. later you have to pack all togheter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end