hova1

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
the lack of updates from the R4 team got me thinking. The R4 has a HUGE user base. it wouldn't be too far fetched to think that some smart guy will take the firmware apart and make it's own firmware.
Now you can tell me why this wouldn't/would work

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It could work. All you'll need to do is find someone who has the needed skill, hardware, time, motivation and the dedication to finish the job, and convince them to start the job. I'm guessing the motivation part is going to give you the most trouble.

HeatMan Advance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's only been two months and there's only one game to my knowledge that doesn't work.

I believe custom firmware is always possible, but it most likely isn't worth anyones time since there's nothing anyone really needs it for.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Mikomaxless said:
See, with the R4, the concept is "Why fix what's not broken?"

Whenever a new game doesn't work, is whenever they release new firmware. There's no need for some new update every week if it isn't needed.
It's been 2 months since the last update.

I still find it nessesary to update, at least once in 2 months.

HeatMan Advance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They still haven't fixed Hulk. It's kind of odd since they've updated for a pet pals, or whatever those games are called, like two days after being dumped.

If another game is released and they don't update, then we may have to question if they've abandoned the card.

omgmog

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
omgmog.net
XP
Country
Yasu has been working on his YSmenu for the DSTT and Acecard for some time now, and he plans to bring it to the R4 and other cards eventually. YSmenu kind of works on the R4 already, and coupled with an EZ3in1 it can load GBA roms straight from the same menu as NDS roms. The only thing making it unusable right now (which is a very big thing), is that it can't start homebrew yet (the dldi loaders he uses seem non-standard, and one for the R4, that works with YSmenu is yet to be made), and commercial NDS rom backups don't start.

I can see it being a really good alternative firmware for the R4 though, given some time.

Check the Japanese page of Yasu's site, as it has more updates than the English page..
http://home.usay.jp/pc/etc/nds/

Aznhiga13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HeatMan Advance said:
They still haven't fixed Hulk. It's kind of odd since they've updated for a pet pals, or whatever those games are called, like two days after being dumped.

If another game is released and they don't update, then we may have to question if they've abandoned the card.

Maybe the R4 team really loves pet pals and cant stand it not working, lol. The Ysmenu seems tempting cause of the compatibility with the EZ 3in1. Not updating in 2 months does sound like they might have given up on it( I hope not...). Otherwise, if someone can come up with a really good, working custom firmware, i might think about switching over.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yasu needs to hurry up...
Anyway, I think that that the R4 team is either:
1. Really the M3 team, but now that they have another two firmwares to update they've given up on the R4/M3
2. The R4 team has given up.
3. The R4 team is working on a really good update, maybe a whole new firmware.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
the 3rd and 1st don't seem likely to me
2nd is plausible but more importantly i think it's that they don't have any motivation since R4 is selling is it was before and with a small update nothing is gonna change... until their name is completely spoilt due to laziness then they will fix something... ofcourse these are just assumptions (or not!)

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Part of the problem may be that late last year certain governments started trying to block sales of the R4 specifically, not all DS flashcarts (the R4's huge name recognition backfired here). For a while it looked like the R4 might become impossible to sell, and the company that makes it may have decided not to pump any more money than absolutely necessary into a sinking ship.

NeSchn

Swag.
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
Maybe they are working on a new card???
ph34r.gif

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Yasu mentioned adding support for R4 with his YSmenu in the past.

He hasn't added it yet but he might in the future, who knows.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a